Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 02:18:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster 620 Dark owner's manual  (Read 14102 times)
banterer

« on: September 02, 2008, 09:10:48 PM »

I just bought an '05 620 Dark and will be recvg the manual on Friday. In the meantime, I was trying to find out what the diff sight glasses show. I know the ones for the brake, cluth fluid and oil but there is another one which I would guess is on the transmission since it is the case where the clutch cable terminates. My question is, which fluid is this and how do you refill it? The thing looks dry to me.

Is there a 620 manual in pdf anywhere online?

Thanks,
Jorge
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:15:18 PM by banterer » Logged
DarkStaR

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 09:19:45 PM »

I just bought an '05 620 Dark and will be recvg the manual on Friday. In the meantime, I was trying to find out what the diff sight glasses show. I know the ones for the brake, cluth fluid and oil but there is another one which I would guess is on the transmission since it is the case where the clutch cable terminates. My question is, which fluid is this and how do you refill it? The thing looks dry to me.

Is there a 620 manual in pdf anywhere online?

Thanks,
Jorge

That's for checking your muffler fluid.  Grin

It's really for checking crank timing. Tongue

http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/service/manuals/2005.jhtml?family=manuals

banterer

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 09:37:01 PM »

Thanks got the manual but for some reason that sight glass is still not identified or even referred to. I am talking about a glass on the lower side of the case where the clutch cable goes in. Does that glass not need to show any fluid at all? What type of fluid is it and where would you refill it?

The reponse provided does not really tell me much. Please elaborate if possible or perhaps lead me to a link.

Thanks,
Jorge
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 10:06:19 PM »

Hey Jorge--

First off, you don't have a clutch cable.  You're probably referring to the clutch line (which is hydraulic).

Second, you posted this thread in the How-To section.  It's for posting completed threads (with pics) with an explanation of how to perform maintenance and modifications.  Try moving this thread (yes, you have that power) to the Tech section.

Third, I think what you're referrring to is--as DarkStar said--the window for checking the crank timing.  You generally won't see any fluid in there.  If you do see fluid, it's the same oil that's in your engine and the same oil you see through your oil sight glass.  You don't need to fill it independently of changing your oil and/or making sure that your oil level is ok.  In fact, you won't need to worry about the crank timing window unless you're doing more sophisticated maintenance.  So unless you're at a stage where you're doing valve jobs on your motor, just worry about making sure your clutch and brake fluid is up to the appropriate level and that your oil level is ok and that your oil is changed regularly.

Good luck.

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
DarkStaR

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 10:08:35 PM »

The window pictured below is for checking crank timing.

Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 10:12:50 PM »

someone needs to scrub down their chain . . .   cheeky   That's not your beauty, is it, DarkStaR?

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
DarkStaR

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 10:18:30 PM »

someone needs to scrub down their chain . . .   cheeky   That's not your beauty, is it, DarkStaR?

Not mine.   laughingdp

I googled "ducati clutch slave" to show the OP the timing window. 

banterer

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 10:45:29 PM »

Thanks all of you! Sorry, yes the clutch "line".

Is there a way for the moderator to close this or move it to the appropriate forum?

It's already here so just let me explain what I am trying to do or figure out by asking these questions.
I am just trying to come up with some reason for why the clutch refuses to disengage. On one of the other forums I was told to bleed the clutch. I did so and after I bled it, the bike seemed to go through gears 1-5 (with or without) the clutch. I was also told that my description of the bike going into gear was not out of the ordinary and that I should turn it on and let it warm up to 140º. I did so. I then sat on it squeezed the clutch and the bike proceeded to go into gear and stall out.

So??? What could it be? I downloaded the manual and saw that there is even a safety swtich on the kickstand. I tried it with the stand up and down but got the same results.

I'm at my witts end!!! @ I just want to ride my first bike in the pkg lot!
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 05:59:24 AM »

Is there a way for the moderator to close this or move it to the appropriate forum?
Yes - but you can do it to.  Modify your original post and you should have the option to move and or close it.  YOu'll get a lot more attention if you post in the tech section.

It's already here so just let me explain what I am trying to do or figure out by asking these questions.
I am just trying to come up with some reason for why the clutch refuses to disengage. On one of the other forums I was told to bleed the clutch. I did so and after I bled it, the bike seemed to go through gears 1-5 (with or without) the clutch. I was also told that my description of the bike going into gear was not out of the ordinary and that I should turn it on and let it warm up to 140º. I did so. I then sat on it squeezed the clutch and the bike proceeded to go into gear and stall out.

So??? What could it be? I downloaded the manual and saw that there is even a safety switch on the kickstand. I tried it with the stand up and down but got the same results.
Has the bike been sitting a long time?  If so, the plates can become stuck together and it might take a few of those stalls to get them to break loose.

But you may need to bleed it more.  Bleeding a clutch is a pretty painstaking process.  Since they bleeder is one of the lowest points, it's not uncommon for their to be air stuck in the system.  One trick is to bleed it a bit and then just strap the lever to the bar and let it sit for a day or two.  That can allow air trapped at the high side to work it's way into the reservoir and out of your hair

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: