Idle Adjust on Carbed Monsters?

(1/2) > >>

Smokescreen:
I'm needing to up the idle a tad on my wife's M900 with Mikuni carbs, and I noticed it doesn't have the nifty little idle adjustment screw on the outer frame spar my Suzuki had.  Any idea where I'd find the adjustment screws on the Mikuni carbs?
W

Speeddog:
It's located just above where the cables attach to the carbs.

There's a joggle in the metal bracket where the screw is.

ScottRNelson:
The idle screw is right in the middle between the carburetors.  Be aware that the screw to adjust the carburetor balance is also in the same area, so don't touch that one.  A few years ago some mechanically inept member of the old forum turned the wrong screw when trying to adjust his idle, then had much bigger problems afterward.

meano_lover:
you're going to have to pull the oil cooler off, then hit the bigger of the 2 phillips head screws. idle is the one that is easier to access. the one that is harder to get to (farther inward) will be your carb synch screw.

http://www.ducatisuite.com/carbsynch.html

the 2nd to last picture explains adjustment screws.

*edit*- make sure you adjust while the bike is warm and at normal operating temp.

Jobu:
Quote from: meano_lover on September 05, 2008, 07:00:41 AM

you're going to have to pull the oil cooler off, then hit the bigger of the 2 phillips head screws. idle is the one that is easier to access. the one that is harder to get to (farther inward) will be your carb synch screw.

http://www.ducatisuite.com/carbsynch.html

the 2nd to last picture explains adjustment screws.

*edit*- make sure you adjust while the bike is warm and at normal operating temp.

You don't have to pull the oil cooler.  You just need the right size screwdriver to get at it.  DucatiSuite says to drop the cooler for syncing the carbs because it makes it much easier to get to the sync screw when adjusting it multiple times in a short time period.  Should be able to get to the idle screw without much trouble.

As mentioned though, adjust the forward screw, not the venturi adjustment screw.  It is really simple.  It screws in (normal thread) to increase throttle position when at idle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page