Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 06:45:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paint the cans on a 696  (Read 11532 times)
zLoki

Why yes, it is dangerous

« on: September 10, 2008, 07:57:18 PM »

Hi everyone, just painted the cans on my 696 dark.  Thought I would share:

The heat shields:

These guys are easy to take off, just be careful of the washers.  Do not paint them and be careful of when they get stuck to the metal/paint, you might rip them if you are not careful.  Use finger nails or a thin blade.  And don't tighten to much or you will crush them.

I used a degreaser (Simple Green) and mild soap (hand soap) and water to clean, let them dry for about an hour.

They take the paint pretty easy with no other prep.  I did four coats every hour or so.  Pay special attention to the edges, these will chip easily so add a fifth coat on them if needed.  I also applied two coats to the underside.  Let these dry for 24 hours before using.

The Cans:

These were a royal pain on the first try but this new paint was much better.  I did five light coats

Clean with degreaser and mild soap and water. 

Sandpaper - Use at your discretion.  I very lightly roughed up them with 250 paper (I know, I didn't have finer, but like I said, lightly!).  Go the length of the cans.  You should barely see the scratches.  Don't forget to clean them off after this, a microfiber cloth works great here.

Tape the edges - When doing the edges, try to get the masking tape into the spaces, that way you can paint the edge without fear of run off.  This takes a bit of patience.  Note, clean the parts you'll mask well or the masking tape wont stick.  After covering the edges, use a paper towel to cover the holes and the rest, tape these to the edge tape, this should keep it in place.  Careful when lifting, get a good grip or you'll rip the tape right off and have to start over.  Masking does take a bit of time so be patient here.

Paint - The fun part, go in long strokes, the length of the cans.  Go light the first time, dont worry if you can still see silver, you should.  Cover both cans at the same time and let dry for about an hour.  Same for the second and third coats.  Be careful to not start spraying on them, spray to the side and move the spray on to the cans.  Careful when you change directions also, if you spray the same place (usually the bottoms/tops) to many times, you'll get a run or two.

After the third coat, examine and apply the fourth, focusing on areas you may have missed.  Apply a fifth/sixth if you wish.

Make sure you got the edges too by spraying down in a circle on both ends.

Let them sit for 24 hours and carefully remove the masking take, reattach, dont over tighten and you're done!

The tools:

The tools you need to get the cans and heat shield off
Three cans of Cool IT Thermo Tec Hi-Heat Coating (I only used two, third is for touch ups)
Degreaser - any will do, I used Simple Green
Mild soap and water
Paper towels
Microfiber cloth (optional but very useful)
Latex gloves (optional but keeps the hands clean, girls don't like paint under your fingernails) - Careful with wet painted parts
250 or finer sand paper (optional and you really should use 400)
Paint mask - trust me, you'll need it
Masking tape
A place to paint
Lots of newspaper to mask things you don't want sprayed
Patience that you wont get to ride her for a day or two

Total cost: Less than $50 (Paint is about $10 each at an autoparts store or online)
Total time: About 6 hours excluding 24 hour drying time

Before and After:

Evil [moto]

Mostly stock '12 796
Sold - '09 696 with 30,000 miles
S2K

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 09:44:21 AM »

Looks good. How did you do the stripes on the wheels?

09 M696
Bbrent

'08 S4RS Tricolore

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 02:57:12 PM »

Looks really good. What type of paint did you use?
zLoki

Why yes, it is dangerous

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 09:05:46 PM »

Stripes are stickers, you can find them here - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rim-Wheel-Stripes-Decals-Ducati-Aprillia-Buell-F4i_W0QQitemZ200254010957QQihZ010QQcategoryZ35593QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Super easy to install, super hard to keep them straight.

I used Cool IT Thermo Tec Hi-Heat Coating - check the tools listing in my post for all the stuff i used.

Mostly stock '12 796
Adamm0621

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 11:50:35 PM »

That's exactly what I want to do to my 696 when I get it... except I want to do it to stainless termis.

2010 Monster 696 Dark
red baron

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 06:03:03 AM »

For those that want easier masking use tin foil. waytogo

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
StandTall

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 09:02:12 AM »

what style Rizoma mirrors are you using? the bike looks great!
zLoki

Why yes, it is dangerous

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 12:35:06 PM »

Thanks.

The mirrors are 'reverse retros', got them at PJ's Parts.  Dont forget the bar ends!

Mostly stock '12 796
PhilipMSPT

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 12:33:27 PM »

That looks good.

I want to color my exhaust cans too.  I may paint; I may powdercoat.

Do you have any issues with discoloration?  Flaking or texture changes?  Increased heat?

zLoki

Why yes, it is dangerous

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 01:17:59 PM »

No issues.  I had the paint on for about 6 months before I went with a powercoat.  Only did a PC because I had the cans cored and had Ryan leave the covers off.  I think it's better but I have not been successful in getting them back off to be redone after I scratched them.

Mostly stock '12 796
Boris696

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 04:39:39 PM »

Thanks for the goreat writeup.  I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while, read your thread and you convinced me.  I painted everything today, and it's hanging in the garage drying now.  They seemed to turn out really good, guess we'll see when I put everything back on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: