Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 12:21:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: headlight rim painted black?  (Read 19092 times)
tristantumble

« on: September 21, 2008, 05:53:59 AM »

i'm looking for pics of bikes that people have painted the metal ring around the headlight black. Also how did you do this? I'm not much of a DIY-er, but with proper instruction, i'm sure i could.

thanks,
tt

07.695 (sold)
07. sport 1000 biposto
Ranger06

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 06:06:50 AM »

I did it the quick and lazy way, just to see if I liked it.  The hardest part was getting the ring off the headlight.  I took it apart, sanded it by hand, just enough to give it that brushed stainless look, then hit it with a few coats of rattle can flat-black rustolium.  Not perfect, but I would like to eventually pick up a spare and have it powder coated.  Cant be without the bike while parts are in the shop, thus the spare.  One of the easiest mods...next to swapping out the sprocket cover.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 06:57:51 AM by Ranger06 » Logged

2008 695 Dark
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 08:46:34 AM »

i'm looking for pics of bikes that people have painted the metal ring around the headlight black. Also how did you do this? I'm not much of a DIY-er, but with proper instruction, i'm sure i could.

thanks,
tt

Take it of, sand it and paint it. or mask everything, sand it, paint it.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
m9hundo

a.k.a. gil

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 12:46:02 PM »

Just remove it with a philips screw driver (screw on the bottom) sand it down with some fine grit sand paper. It dose not have to be perfect, just get it smooth.  Buy some flat black paint and whisk it back and forth hitting the paint button in every stroke. Don't stay in one spot and spray because you get the paint to run. Don't use corse sand paper because you'll leave streaks on the headlight rim and it'll look rough. If you have a toaster oven put the ring in there once done painting at 300 degrees and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. Keep an eye on it though.  In the hot summer days I just set it on top of the wall and let the sun bake it.  Good luck, it's simple.

whats moepery? moepery is when you expose yourself to a blind person.
Bbrent

'08 S4RS Tricolore

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 02:26:33 PM »

As stated above. Remove it. Sand it then hit it with a couple of coats of rustolem or metail paint. Make sure you let it dry for a few hours before putting it back on.

WFO58

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 03:05:36 PM »

I  took it all apart and used a circular sander with 60 grit to open up the chrome.  I then used laquer primer to fill and then finished with 180 grit. The final coat was Krylon satin black enamel. If you want the paint to stick you really need to grind into the chrome. I also used CF brackets from Monsterparts.

999 R Xerox, S4RS, KTM 950 SM, GSXR 750, Harley soft tail custom, Honda 750F, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang, RM 125, Elsinore 125, SL 70, Mini trail, Bonanza minibike.
wraith

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 05:58:49 PM »

spray can job undercoat and matt black, chrome eventually chips, just take it off and spray again it only took a couple hours

......... I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and I am what some people call mentally retarded.
Monstyr

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 04:32:32 AM »

Take it apart and get it powdercoated like mine,it'll be a lot tougher and wear better than paint.

The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
djomlas
Full fairings back on road

Ciao Marco

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 07:16:27 AM »

black looks the best...chrome is for a Harley, then again, anything chrome on a sport bike   bang head

S2R
Rizoma rearsets, full Zard CF dual exhaust, Rizoma clipons, Sargent seat, 999 shock, golden brembo calipers/rotors upgrade,adjustable levers and billet grips, some CF (belt covers, heel guards, chain guard sprocket cover, fender, bellypan), integrated R6 tail light, bar end mirrors
other bikes in garage: 08 hayabusa, 06 hayabusa, 07 zx14, 07 r6, k6 gsxr1000, r1, 08 zx6r, triumph speed triple,2 vespas and a ruckus, its an obsession
stateprez

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 07:16:47 AM »

Sanded, primed, painted flat with a coat of metallic on top.  Matched the frame pretty well.  No chips.

'03 999 Mono
ProTeal55

HalfFastChicago.Com

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 11:13:36 AM »

Painted low gloss black (like everything else on the bike)..
Think it looks much better than the stock/chrome (my opinion)..

ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Joe
Member: Half Fast Chicago

http://www.HalfFastChicago.com
Travman

‘70 Guzzi, ‘73 Norton, ‘73 V7 Sport, ‘12 V7 Racer

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 06:54:27 AM »

If you don't like the look of the chrome ring you can also try the brushed metal look, by simply sanding the ring with a very light sandpaper.  You get rid of the chrome, but still have the contrast of the black headlight bucket with the silver metal ring.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 04:18:59 PM by Travman » Logged
ProTeal55

HalfFastChicago.Com

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 07:12:25 AM »

Red Scotch brite pads work well for the "scuffed" look...

ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Joe
Member: Half Fast Chicago

http://www.HalfFastChicago.com
TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 08:01:44 AM »

I was going to toss mine into the powder coat box....will the blasting etch into the chrome enough you think?

darkattackdog

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 12:26:14 PM »

I did it the quick and lazy way, just to see if I liked it.  The hardest part was getting the ring off the headlight.  I took it apart, sanded it by hand, just enough to give it that brushed stainless look, then hit it with a few coats of rattle can flat-black rustolium.  Not perfect, but I would like to eventually pick up a spare and have it powder coated.  Cant be without the bike while parts are in the shop, thus the spare.  One of the easiest mods...next to swapping out the sprocket cover.

How did you get the rim of the headlight?  I've loosened the Philips head screw but I can't get it to screw out and I also have tried tightening it back on, but it won't do that either.  What's the trick here?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: