Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 02:52:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FAQ: HID BEAMS, A Semi-How To  (Read 9452 times)
He Man
Post Whore

« on: September 26, 2008, 06:22:48 PM »

This is a FAQ regarding HID beams. It is not a How-To, so I welcome everyone to throw in their comments or their experiences. Most of it will just pictorial comments since theres not much to talk about.

Kit:
ebay generic kit, XENTEX brand.
Dual Bi-xenon 35watt 5000K (Bi-xenon is an actual magnet that moves the bulb and refocuses the beam.
Monsterparts Dual Headlights (originally dual h4)

General Comments
Since I run a Bixenon kit, the bulb itself is actually much longer than what the stock ducati mono headlight housing can fit. This means you will either need to cut your headlamp (just a 1 inch diameter hole in the back will suffice) or get some other sort of bixenon, or just get a bixenon altogether. Bixenon kits also have a controller and often the wires in the kits are designed for cars, not motorcycles, so the dimensions of it are a pregnant dog to work with. I will eventually get to sorting out the wires, but as of now. I am too lazy, and my spare time gets spent watching football, doing school work, looking for boobies while doing school work (nerdy chicks are hot) or writing stuff for the DMF. So here you are. HIDs in a jiffy.

(note, just uploaded, may not work yet)

Stock H4 Monoheadlight
These first few pictures are all shot with the following settings
F2.8
Ex 1/20
ISO-200
No editing
My reason to make it so dark is to make sure you see the central beam and not glare or any of the sort.

Here is the stock monoheadlight H4 dead on

Sideview

The actual beam

HID kit DUAL BIXENON 35WATT TEST PHOTOS

Same settings as above Side view, there is no center view because it was so damn bright, you really didnt see a difference from side or front becasue your cornea  would just burst into flames (and zombies would walk the earth and kill you until you die)

The actual beam. Note that when you compare it to the H4, there isnt as much light. I don't know why this is so. But later on, you'll see a pic of what you will actually see.

This is the LOW BEAM HID
NOTE DIFFERENT SETTINGS FOR BOTH HIGH AND LO BEAM!!!!!!

F2.8 (no change)
Ex 1/13 (Previously Ex 1/20)
ISO-100 (Previously ISO200)

This is the HIGH BEAM HID

NOTE DIFFERENT SETTINGS FOR BOTH HIGH AND LO BEAM!!!!!!

F2.8 (no change)
Ex 1/13 (Previously Ex 1/20)
ISO-100 (Previously ISO200)

What you actually see

This is when your tucked in 

When your sitting on the bike

And when you are an innocent bystander

The Equipment

This is the Kit itself

The duals

The Mess of Wires

This is one thing I do not like about the kit, you dont really notice it, but the 2 bulbs are actually different temperatures. I have a  1 year warranty on them, and the seller says i can return them if I dont like it.

This was shot at 1/1250 F7.2 at ISO80
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 06:29:27 PM by He Man » Logged

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
matt922

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 05:15:35 PM »

http://www.sharphid.com/

take a look at those kits, the ballasts are MUCH smaller.
Clickjack

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 05:56:55 PM »

I'm guessing that van is full of toys and Candy. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 10:33:30 AM by Clickjack » Logged

"They wanted Gold, we gave them lead"  -John Wayne
MendoDave
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 12:43:39 PM »

I'm guessing that van is full of toys and Candy. 

I'm guessing that van has "nerdy chicks locked inside with the candy"

Don't worry "nerdy chicks" the police are on their way
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 01:11:05 PM »

edible candy bikinis!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
bazz20
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 04:09:57 AM »

ok how do they really compare to the standard globes and do you get any stray light like a few are saying and is it true the beam is wider , if they are that much better ill get a set cheers bazz
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 01:58:19 PM »

ok how do they really compare to the standard globes and do you get any stray light like a few are saying and is it true the beam is wider , if they are that much better ill get a set cheers bazz

Thats kinda why i put all the photos up, its up to you to decide if the light is strayed to your standards. As you can see in the photos the Halogen bulbs are clean and have a better cut off. You can also see how it lights up the area in front of your headlight. I didnt include a pic of the stock setup since you are familar with how your lights yourself.

DLSGAP

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 01:55:44 PM »

The actual beam. Note that when you compare it to the H4, there isnt as much light. I don't know why this is so. But later on, you'll see a pic of what you will actually see.

Color Temperature is a measurement in Degrees Kelvin (K) that indicates the hue of light source. There is a misconception that color temperature is a rating of the brightness of the HID bulb. The truth is that the higher the color temperature, the less light output from the HID bulb.

Hope that shed some light on things  waytogo

Damien
'07 Kawi ZX-10R Candy Plasma Blue
Draggin Knees since 1988

Raux
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 11:59:30 PM »

I have a pair of standard bulbs with a color temp of 4000 on the bike. white but not HID so they are pretty bright.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: