Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 05:49:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Stock a basic toolbox.  (Read 16760 times)
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« on: September 29, 2008, 08:36:04 PM »

Prior to beginning any project, one must ensure they possess the proper tools to do the job that is being undertaken. For those getting started, spending a large amount on tools they are unfamiliar with can be intimidating, so the primary focus of this will be getting a somewhat thorough set of tools, with basic maintenance and mods in mind.

Tools are not cheap, especially when bought individually, so for a basic start I would highly recommend one of the Craftsman tools kits, such as the one shown below:

That is the basic 154 piece set which is currently listed at $100. I recommend and use craftsmen tools due to their lifetime warranty. If you manage to break anything, just bring it back (no receipt required) and they'll give you a brand new one, no questions asked. A slight step up would be the 192 piece set ($150 currently), which will save money in the long run (take a look at individual prices vs. costs of the kits and you'll see what I mean).

While our bikes are metric, I do recommend a set of standard tools (which these kits come with) be carried as well. You'll find as various nuts and bolts get rounded off, that while a 14MM is too large and a 13MM is too small, and 9/16 might just be a perfect fit.

There are a few other tools I'd suggest every mechanic should also have, which are not included in the basic toolkit.

Screwdrivers-the stupid little one that come with the kit and have multiple interchangeable heads just aren't robust enough IMO, nor always of adequate length. A nice set, such as those shown below can be had for less than $20. You will be happy you bought it.

Also of use will be several sets of vice grips, both of the needlenose variety, and the standard type:

A good, medium weight hammer (I like an 8 OZ myself for most of the smaller jobs) is essential. A ball peen hammer is pictured here, however for general purposes, a claw hammer, which you most likely already own, will be just fine.

I would suggest getting some slightly longer extension bars than those included with the kit, and some universal joints.

Finally, for miscellaneous items I would recommend a few other items, such as a sharpie and some masking tape, if only to label things and mark how items have come apart. Sandpaper (a variety pack will do, barring that 120 grit or so would serve the vast majority of purposes), good lights, and a rear stand.

That should be roughly everything one needs to get started. Barring the rear stand, everything on this list should be obtainable for about $200.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 08:55:35 PM »

applause

id also recommend husky for reliable lower cost tools.

stay away from harbor freight for tools used to remove bolts. they tend to have shitty casting dies and end up rounding you bolt heads.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 08:58:30 PM »

applause

id also recommend husky for reliable lower cost tools.

stay away from harbor freight for tools used to remove bolts. they tend to have shitty casting dies and end up rounding you bolt heads.

I've heard good things of Husky but never used them so I didn't want to say anything. Snap-On, is of course, great, but much more expensive and beyond the needs of 99% of non-professional tinkerers.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 09:14:46 PM »

A couple of cheap, but necessary additions:

• Rubber mallet--Harbor Freight  $2
  • Air pressure gauge--get a good one.  $15-$25
  • Packet of zip ties  $5
  • Allen head sockets (if not already included in your Craftsman kit)--get Craftsman or something of decent quality.  Around $30. Those L wrenches often are not enough. 
  • Wire cutters--Harbor Freight is fine.  $3

• Oil filter strap wrench--get it from the local auto supply store   $4

• A small breaker bar--Harbor Freight is fine.  $8

• Ruler  $3

It's not necessary, but down the line, think about investing in a torque wrench.  It'll stop you from snapping off quite so many bolts.

I also use my digital calipers all the time.  They're not necessary, but you can buy 'em for like $15-20 at Harbor Freight. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 09:41:53 PM by Spidey » Logged

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 09:18:35 PM »

Here is a more slightly comprehensive tool kit:

http://www.ducatisuite.com/tools.html

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
mojo

'99 M900S

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 03:49:21 PM »

When buying locking clamps, make sure you buy the Irwin Vise Grips.  The generic ones are very flimsy, the screw sometimes doesn't work smooth, and they don't have nearly as much clamping force as the Irwin's.  In general, most of the Irwin tools I've used are respectable quality, and not outrageously expensive.

Some people are like slinky's.  They serve absolutely no purpose, but they always bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 06:06:27 PM »

Wobble extensions are really handy...

You can buy a short one and put it on the end of any standard extension...

Doesn't have to be Snap-On.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Ranger06

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 05:41:28 AM »

A good torque wrench won't hurt either.  I bought a craftsman that's 3/8 drive and goes from 25 to 250 inch pounds.  I like it, it has a racheting head, and it has a nwt scale on it as well.  I don't use it an awful lot, but i did just replace my top triple and some clip-on's.  It's nice to know that stuff is as tight as the manufacturer recommends.  It's my understanding that over-torquing hardware, is as hazardous as under-torquing it.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 07:31:34 AM by Ranger06 » Logged

2008 695 Dark
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 08:00:05 AM »

Let me clarify something behind the intention of this post.

This is a BASIC stocking-IE, just the barest of bare essentials, and to follow, shortly, will be a series of easy-to-do mods and repairs I will write up using only those tools. It's supposed to be a small kit due to costs-personally with a torque wrench, I would recommend getting the best one you can get your hands on-those aren't cheap. I suspect the one I have downstairs costs as much as all of the tools listed in the first post combined. It also won't be necessary for anything I'll be doing in the near future.

Having said that, as the mods/repairs get more advanced, I plan to write "How to stock an intermediate toolbox".

So while I appreciate the additional input of everyone, please do keep in mind the intent behind the tools I chose.

MendoDave
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 12:03:58 PM »

That being said, about 80 percent of the time I use either the deep or short 1/4 drive metric sockets, 1/4 extensions, and metric wrenches. I keep Both sets of sockets in one of these socket holders.

And the wrenches in something like this.

This will save you so much time you wont even believe it. Plus it keeps your stuff from getting lost. Just grab those two things, plus a ratchet and a couple of extensions and you can do most, and maybe even all of your work with just that. (Unless you are working on the monster. In that case you will have to grab the allen wrenches too)

The Socket holder is magnetic rather than those clips that you always have to pry the sockets from. Plus the clips wear out.
When you buy a set of wrenches from Sears I think they may come with a wrench holder already, but In any case its nice to have them all lined up and together. I think the wrench holder I bought was from Sears. $5.00 or something.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 12:32:26 PM by MendoDave » Logged
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 12:43:41 PM »

I haven't done it myself (yet), but I really like this suggestion from a bicycle website on color-coding your wrenches.

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 01:39:30 PM »

I haven't done it myself (yet), but I really like this suggestion from a bicycle website on color-coding your wrenches.

That makes so much sense that its almost wrong.

im gonna go buy some colored electric tape now. brb  waytogo

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
red baron

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 08:34:42 PM »

phone number to a good painter. laughingdp

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
Gimpy
Not quite a

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 10:13:43 AM »

I've done this to a smaller degree.  I used three colors and only coded the most frequently used sizes. 
10mm, 12mm,and 14mm for sockets
6,8,10  for allens
and then I have all my screw drivers labeled by color as well since most of them are cheap and don't have it stamped into the end.

OstOgBajer
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »

Someone mentioned Husky above... I like some Husky tools, I dislike others. I'd recommend Craftsman. A little more expensive than the cheaper tools (obviously), but they last forever and have a lifetime warranty.

I do prefer Husky ratcheting wrenches but hate their crescent wrenches.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: