Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 01:11:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ferodo XR Racing pads for 2 piston S2R 800 brakes. Good idea?  (Read 5794 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« on: October 13, 2008, 12:43:40 PM »

I have the bad-day-at-the-office Brembos. The 4 piston upgrade kit is on my list, but I'm not sure when my budget will allow them.

CA CycleWorks recommends the Ferodos for a sufficient bite. It says they are "Racing", but nothing about the materials used. Haven't received a reply on that question yet. Racing pads usually don't work off the track and/or in colder climates, if I got that part right.

I need better brakes, but require that they work when cold. There's also concern if these pads will generate so much heat that the fluids might boil (?).

Are these pads a good idea?

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/brake_pads.html

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
CairnsDuc
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 01:06:46 PM »

I had ordered the Platinums for the front of my S2R 800, I received an Email from Chris at CA strongly suggesting to upgrade to the Sintered Metal pads (Which I think the XR has replaced these since I placed my order about 4-5 months ago)

He hates the Brembo black brakes on the 620/S2R 800, I remember reading he considered them an insult to the bike and they should have had the bigger brakes as standard.

I will say the braking from the Sintered pads is very impressive, they did lose some feel, but they are very consistent when I go for a strap in the hills, They do there best braking when warm, but they still work OK for when I cruise around town.

But like you I will do the upgrade to the 4 piston kit at a later stage.

I run Ferodo Sintered metal's on the front and Ferodo Platinums on the rear, very happy with the performance of both.
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 02:11:32 PM »

I have the bad-day-at-the-office Brembos. The 4 piston upgrade kit is on my list, but I'm not sure when my budget will allow them.

CA CycleWorks recommends the Ferodos for a sufficient bite. It says they are "Racing", but nothing about the materials used. Haven't received a reply on that question yet. Racing pads usually don't work off the track and/or in colder climates, if I got that part right.

I need better brakes, but require that they work when cold. There's also concern if these pads will generate so much heat that the fluids might boil (?).

Are these pads a good idea?

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/brake_pads.html

Hi,

Great questions... (as well as those also sent to us in the e-mail) I'm glad Canned Ice pointed this thread out to me, or I would only have replied to the e-mail. Smiley

Did you see the chart on the braking page you linked to? The rows with the green back ground are organic/semi-metallic and the gold colored rows are sintered metallic pads. Maybe I need to move the "legend" to the top?? I'm kinda bummed actually, as after putting up that chart, our brake sales went down. Sad Previously, we had that big matrix of pads vs the calipers they fit, so we had all kinds of calls about which pads are for which bike. In the new catalog generator tool, we did away with the "parts matrix" and stuck to line items.

The Ferodo XR are sintered metallic. The pads are designed to handle the greater amount of heat, and do not boil your brake fluid. They do work great when cold. As far as track day performance, these will be the same as any other pads: if you brake hard with enough frequency, I'm sure it is possible to boil fluid. I rode an S2R800 with standard brakes + XR pads quite aggressively and had no issues, but it wasn't particularly intense. Streets of Willow, Fontana, or Button Willow would be a better test, but I'd never intentionally go to one of those tracks with the stock brakes. Interestingly enough, the "Sport Classics" appear to be the same, but they are larger. As the media says they like the sports classic's brakes, I wish Ducati would have at least used those calipers on the S2R...

With the XR pads, the braking performance is about matched to the acceleration of a 620. Having those brakes on anything else in Ducati's lineup is a situation I would consider dangerous. In my mind, I need the brakes to be at least equal to the acceleration. When the distance to casually decelerate from 40 mph is 20 to 30 feet more than the distance required to casually accelerate to 40 mph, I tend to run into the back of cars. Thankfully, quick thinking and my panic stopping saved me from that fate.

On a different S2R800, I was riding in the canyons 2-up. The road was Sunrise Hwy down here in San Diego county. S1 is a really sweet road. Curvy and flowing, so you go through sweepers 60 to 70 mph without drama. Unless you're 2-up on an S2R800 with stock brakes. As we were about to enter a turn, I wanted to remove just a little bit of speed, as I was trying to be as smooth as possible for my passenger. 2 fingers + gentle pull ... nothing. Hmm. 2 fingers + max pull and I could feel there is a change (as in something starting to happen with the brakes) but it's not enough. At this point, we're entering the double apex sweeper, so I go full hand with medium to strong pressure and then was able to shave off 5 or so mph but ended up almost on the centerline and with more lean angle than I was wanting to use. From that moment forward on the ride, I basically doubled my normal margin for error and tried to remember what it was like trying to stop a 54 Ford I had when I was a kid...

At the other end of the spectrum, do try to avoid the popular "4 pad" calipers. They're overkill on air cooled monsters and the heavier 749 -- just too easy to lock the front wheel. They are more suitable on a 999 or S4Rs, as they actually can go hella fast, but then at sane speeds, you have to pay close attention to what your fingers do on the lever.

Grin Chris

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 02:42:22 PM »

Thanks Chris waytogo

In between mails I did see the description of materials. The lay out is easy to read and for the first time I understand my options.

Correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding of how you see it: S2R 800 brakes aren't good enough even with the XR pads. I would be better off getting the 4 piston upgrade kit. Sintered pads work well when cold, but even better when warm. If I can't afford the upgrade kit, the XR pads will get me much closer to acceptable braking power.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 03:55:05 PM »

Thanks Chris waytogo

In between mails I did see the description of materials. The lay out is easy to read and for the first time I understand my options.

Correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding of how you see it: S2R 800 brakes aren't good enough even with the XR pads. I would be better off getting the 4 piston upgrade kit. Sintered pads work well when cold, but even better when warm. If I can't afford the upgrade kit, the XR pads will get me much closer to acceptable braking power.

Yes, exactly. Smiley

Bizzarrini
Showing off his

'94 M900

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 06:05:38 AM »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your elaborate explanations, very helpfull! I was wondering what you would advise for a pre-2000 M900 ('94)? At the moment I feel my brakes are not very grippy. I have a lot of feel though, which is OK in the wet, but in dry, I feel they lack power. I'm not 100% sure, but I assume the standard (black?) pads are (still) in...

Cheers!

PS: sorry for the thread-jack!  Grin

"As a final touch, God created the Dutch"
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 12:10:18 PM »

@Bizzarrini:
Your question isn't as simple. We don't know where you are starting from, so it's difficult to say what the next step should be. In these cases where the existing pads might be OEM brembo, I suggest getting the Ferodo Platinum pads and seeing how they do. If braking power still isn't satisfactory, I then talk over the various options while considering the larger picture of the entire brake system and the rider's usage.

Smiley Chris

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: