Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 12:56:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to replace the handlebars  (Read 19150 times)
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« on: May 10, 2008, 05:16:35 AM »

I just wrote this (before a few edits) for another forum and since it's about Monsters, thought I should post it here

The last time I replaced a handlebar was on a 1997 Monster M900. They had a recall because there was supposedly something defective with the old bar, and I sure couldn't figure out how an aluminum handlebar could be defective. But I made the swap anyway, then later gave the old one to a Daffe who went down while braking on gravel and bent his.  That was the same ride when Tigre went wide on a right turn and went down in the dirt.  Both right in front of me at different points in the ride.  Both rode their bikes away too.

Usually the trickiest part is to get the left grip off without destroying it. In my case, the bike was four or five years old and I was able to pull on the inner part of the grip, which expanded things enough to slide it off. You might want to use a long narrow screwdriver to loosen things up, or maybe try to get some water or WD-40 in there to slide it off. If the grips are worn, this would be an excellent time to get replacement grips, and you can just cut the old ones off.

Everything else came off by unscrewing or unbolting various controls and sliding them off. I started by unbolting the bar from the top of the fork so that I could change the angle and position, since you have a few pieces partially held in place by wires, cables, and/or hydraulic hoses. Once I had everything from the left side off, it was easy to slide all of the pieces from the right side off.

Putting the new bar on is the reverse, except for that left grip. If you used a lubricant to get it off, you need to wash it to get it completely clean. If you still do dishes the old fashioned way at your house, drop it in the dishwater and scrub it inside. If not, mix up a similar soap solution to wash it in, then rinse. I just slid mine back on without any additional liquids to lubricate it. If you can't do that, consider using plain water. You don't want anything in there that will allow the grip to move when you're riding.

Oh, and before you do any of this, it might be a good idea to measure the exact distances to all controls as well as figuring out some way to keep track of the bar angle so you can get it all back exactly how it was.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
tommys67
Captain Slow

'08 Fireblade

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 06:21:20 PM »

Thanks for this!

I'm tearing into the repair of some front end damage, and replacing the bar is a must-do. 

I live my life as a warning to others.
Founder - www.suspectsunlimited.com
Serenitynow

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 03:46:20 AM »

I have a '97 that I think is under that same recall. There isn't a time limit on it right? DO they replace the bar with a steel one or another aluminum one. I thought b4 it was going to chromed steel but don't they have other aluminum bars that would work now? Will the shop use the same grips over again or put new ones on?

See ya,
John
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 04:25:02 AM »

The replacement bar for the 1997 Monster was also aluminum and I couldn't tell the difference except that the holes in the end of the bar were larger, so that the bar end weights couldn't be held in place without some "shims".  I tried making my own "shims" out of plastic and ended up losing one of the weights.  So I took the other one out too, and never really missed them.

A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 05:23:43 AM »

A decent tip for installing/removing grips is to use compressed air.

Just get a blower nozzle tip for your air hose, stick the tip right where the grip meets the bar, and blow. The air pressure inflates the grip enough for it to easily slide along the bar, then you don't need to worry about soap or water drying before the grips stick.

Justin

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 11:29:06 AM »

A couple of additional things I learned in installing MV Agusta Brutale bars on my S4Rs, along with taller (+16mm) risers...
Great hints, Tim.  I learned a few new things.  Thanks for posting.

rgramjet
It would have been Fine if it wasnt for my Meddling

What'd you say about my Momma?

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 11:39:02 AM »

A decent tip for installing/removing grips is to use compressed air.

Just get a blower nozzle tip for your air hose, stick the tip right where the grip meets the bar, and blow. The air pressure inflates the grip enough for it to easily slide along the bar, then you don't need to worry about soap or water drying before the grips stick.

Justin

If you dont have compressed air, pull the grip away from the bar by hand, squirt a little liquid soap in there and twist it back and forth.   I used detailing spary last time and it worked great with minimal effort. 

Make sure you wipe the bars down and rinse the grips before reinstalling them.

Good luck!

You're obviously a crack smokin' redneck carpenter. Kiss

in 1st and 2nd it was like this; ringy-ting-ting-ting slow boring ho-hum .......oh!........OMG! What the fu.........HOLY SHIT !!--ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
-Sofadriver

What has been smelled, cannot be unsmelled!
mangeldbug

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 02:06:34 PM »

To remove grips I just insert a long thin screwdriver underneath them and then roll the screwdriver around the bar.  This will detach the glue.  Keep rolling around and around as you gently work the grip off with the other hand.  I use a phillips since that is less likely to cut your grips if you plan on reusing them.  To reattach grips, Aquanet hairspray is the best glue ever!  The alcohol in the "glue" will make it wet and slick so it is very easy to position the grip exactly where you want it.  As the alcohol evaporates off, all that is left is the glue.  Sticks awesome - Ive never had a grip wiggle loose on me.

And if you are in the market for an aftermarket bar, dont pass up the BikeMaster Superbike bars.  They have a very comfortable bend and they are only $20 shipped retail.  When I first got my Monster, the stock bars would put my wrists at the most awkward kinked position.  My wrists would hurt like crazy after about 50 miles or so.  After switching over to these bars, no more issues.

2002 M750Si.e. "Senna" - Meravigliosa, Mera for short
2017 390 Duke Commuter
2001 XT225 Zombie Assault Vehicle
1987 YSR50 #116 race bike
rgramjet
It would have been Fine if it wasnt for my Meddling

What'd you say about my Momma?

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 02:16:47 PM »

To remove grips I just insert a long thin screwdriver underneath them and then roll the screwdriver around the bar.  This will detach the glue.  Keep rolling around and around as you gently work the grip off with the other hand.  I use a phillips since that is less likely to cut your grips if you plan on reusing them.  To reattach grips, Aquanet hairspray is the best glue ever!  The alcohol in the "glue" will make it wet and slick so it is very easy to position the grip exactly where you want it.  As the alcohol evaporates off, all that is left is the glue.  Sticks awesome - Ive never had a grip wiggle loose on me.

I tried the hairspray technique on my 88 Paso....worked well until I got caught in the rain and it reactivated the hairspray.   Left grip came off as if were oiled.

You're obviously a crack smokin' redneck carpenter. Kiss

in 1st and 2nd it was like this; ringy-ting-ting-ting slow boring ho-hum .......oh!........OMG! What the fu.........HOLY SHIT !!--ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
-Sofadriver

What has been smelled, cannot be unsmelled!
mangeldbug

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 02:24:23 PM »

I tried the hairspray technique on my 88 Paso....worked well until I got caught in the rain and it reactivated the hairspray.   Left grip came off as if were oiled.

I ride in the rain all the time and I've honestly never had a problem.  Sorry it didnt work well for you
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 02:26:31 PM by mangeldbug » Logged

2002 M750Si.e. "Senna" - Meravigliosa, Mera for short
2017 390 Duke Commuter
2001 XT225 Zombie Assault Vehicle
1987 YSR50 #116 race bike
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 05:18:44 AM »

cf.
Clip-On, Clip-Ons, Clipon, Clipons Riser Installation Info here:

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=7724.0

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/accessories-mods/175010-common-questions-regarding-clip-ons.html

jeffm2009

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 08:15:33 AM »

great tips here. i'm sure this has been a good resource for people looking for information. about the handlebars, maybe it depends on what kind of hair spray you use?

ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 08:19:52 AM »

great tips here. i'm sure this has been a good resource for people looking for information. about the handlebars, maybe it depends on what kind of hair spray you use?
Hairspray is a bad thing to use to lubricate grips on handlebars.

If you need anything, use water or Windex.  You want something that doesn't leave a residue.

I've never needed anything to help get a grip to slide into place.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: