Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 09:51:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Install a Crank Case Breather Vent Kit from TPO Parts  (Read 29841 times)
Ranger06

« on: October 30, 2008, 12:26:09 PM »

Looking for yet another thing to clean up the back of the bike, I purchased a TPO crankcase breather vent filter kit direct from TPO.  I ride a 2008 Monster 695 but the kit fits all monsters.  In fact, the instructions supplied with the kit were for an 848.  The kit arrived in 3 days and was pretty simple to install.  I would say that anyone could do it regardless of your wrenching experience. Here's what comes in the kit:

Then I got the tools together.  I used a (from L to R) a 4mm T-handle Hex, a 4mm hex Key, a 5mm T-handle Hex, medium pair of dikes, large and small flat-tip screwdrivers, and a 10mm nut driver.

I put the bike up on a swingarm stand and removed the seat.  Here is a before shot of what the underside of the bike looked like and the underside of the seat.

I started by removing the hardware (5mm Hex) and swinging the Rectifier/regulator out of the way.  The tank sits directly below the rectifier and is held in place by the 2 outside 5mm hex bolts.  There are nuts on the underside of the plastic (10 mm)

Next, I used a flat tip screw driver to loosen the hose clamps securing the 2 hoses to the oil tank.

With the hoses disconnected from the tank, it lifted right out.  I was surprised to find that there was a noticeable amount of fluid in it.  I'm pretty sure it was water, from what, I don't know.

From the left side of the bike, I propped the tank up and then I traced the long tube back to the airbox. 

I used a flat-tip screwdriver to pop the tube out of the airbox.  Notice the hole in the airbox now.

I used the middle sized plug to fill the hole.  I would have used some silicone sealant, but I don't have any right now.

I moved over to the right side of the bike and removed the clamp from the tube that leads to the breather valve.

There was not a lot of room here so I decided to remove the 4mm bolt securing the rear resivoir to the frame and swing it out of the way.  I removed the tube.

Next, I oiled the filter with K&N filter oil

I installed the hose clamp that came with the kit on the bottom of the filter, then pressed it on the breather valve.  Then I tightened the clamp with a screwdriver, and re-installed the reservoir.

Next, I wanted to relocate the resistor from the left side of the bike.  I found a scrap piece of metal and it was just long enough to reach to the, now empty, mounting point on the left side of the frame.  I had to cut some zip ties and reroute some wires but I think it looks a lot better. 

And that's it.  I installed the seat, and was done.  Here is an after picture.  I think it made a little bit of a difference

Here is what was removed from the bike

All in all, very easy and took me maybe 20 minutes.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 01:18:47 PM by Ranger06 » Logged

2008 695 Dark
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 11:02:01 AM »

great write up!
i'll be doing this one fairly soon.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
Ranger06

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 06:04:03 PM »

Thanks, I have about 700 miles on the bike since then and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, glad I did it.

2008 695 Dark
Jarvicious
The guy in my avatar wants your

Balls

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 02:19:56 PM »

Well done.

I yanked the side panels off my bike a few weeks ago and that breather has been a sore thumb ever since.  With a set of instructions in front of me, I'm way too fearless with a wrench for my own good.  I'll be keeping these around  applause

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
Ranger06

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 03:26:48 PM »

Thanks, I think the most noticeable benefit is losing the oil tank.  One of those things you don't notice until it's gone. One of these days I'll get around to rattle caning the top of the chrome K&N vent filter...

2008 695 Dark
b.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 03:53:05 PM »

So for some reason my kit didn't come with the plug for the airbox...anyone know if there's a danger in leaving this unplugged?

2005 M620 | so*cal | terapia.
Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 09:49:52 AM »

Yes, without the plug, you effectivly have a hole beneath the air filter - bad

Capo de tuti capi
b.

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 10:15:55 AM »

Thx Capo. I figured out that I'm a giant retard and ordered the wrong kit.

Ranger06

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 01:10:24 PM »

You should be able to find a suitable plug at Lowes or Home Depot...a plug and some sealer.

2008 695 Dark
corey

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 01:26:31 PM »

I just did the same make the beast with two backsing thing. Ordered the Idle AIr Filter Kit on accident.
Managed to clear it up BEFORE they shipped though. It's because the Crankcase Kit isn't listed in the MONSTER section right now for some reason. I brought it to their attention.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
hitman87

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 09:37:06 AM »

whats the size/diameter on the crackcase filter? i want to go by autozone and see if i can pick one up for cheaper than tpo sells them

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the the unreasonable man.
corey

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 07:54:19 AM »

i'll post up the filter size/part number if i can find it when my kit arrives.

iduesoliusa

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 12:06:34 PM »

This post is awesome ! applause
THANKS A LOT waytogo
Only one thing: you oiled the filter with the K&N spray; what if I don't have it? Huh?
Thanks
Riccardo
b.

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 10:37:51 AM »

This post is awesome ! applause
THANKS A LOT waytogo
Only one thing: you oiled the filter with the K&N spray; what if I don't have it? Huh?
Thanks
Riccardo

If you bought the TPO kit you should've gotten a little clear pouch with red oil in it (pictured in Ranger06's first post).  That's the same oil that's in the spray can.  If you didn't buy the kit then you can pick up K&N filter oil at pretty much any auto supply store.

iduesoliusa

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 11:38:47 AM »

So, I just squeeze the red oil around the filter? Huh?

If you bought the TPO kit you should've gotten a little clear pouch with red oil in it (pictured in Ranger06's first post).  That's the same oil that's in the spray can.  If you didn't buy the kit then you can pick up K&N filter oil at pretty much any auto supply store.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: