Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 01:45:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Install levers on 696 (with step-by-step pictures)  (Read 15818 times)

« on: November 10, 2008, 07:57:45 AM »

I know there is another how-to on this subject but I am a visually oriented person. I need pictures more than words. Here's my take on the M696 lever install.

The install should seriously take you no more than 10 minutes even if you're going super slow. No special tools are required.

Tools:
-Ratchet wrench
-3/4" socket (what I used) or a 19mm socket should work (which I didn't have)
-flat head screwdriver
-grease
-rag to wipe your fingers clean

Disclaimer: Know your limitations and work at your own risk. My instructions are for reference only and not a definitive guide..

This works for both sides as they are the same procedure. Whatever I did on the clutch side I did on the brake side, vice versa. Please note that I did not have anything pop out or drop on me. This might be different with other Ducati models.. what that said.. Here we go.

***It's okay if you link this to other sites but please give credit where credit is due.  Wink ***

Pazzo Racing adjustable long levers

Step 1.
(Brake lever)
Locate this nut underneath pivot point and undo it with the 3/4" socket and ratchet. Should not take much effort to loosen it up as it is not torqued down hard.

Step 2.
With the nut removed, now you need to push up on the pivot bolt from the bottom up. You might have to jiggle the lever a bit as you push up on the bolt.  Remove it completely.

Step 3.
With the bolt now removed, you can slide out the stock lever. It just slips right on out. No force should be needed at all.

Step 4.
Now you need to set up the new lever...
On the Pazzo Racing levers you will see a silver slotted screw near the pivot point. I backed out the screw 2 "clicks". You will feel the screw settle on a spring when you turn it counter clockwise. I turned until I felt it click two times. I did this to match the screw profile of the stock levers.

Now you need to apply some grease into the pivot hole of the new lever. Also add grease to the "cup side" of the silver screw you backed out. Simply put, wherever there is grease on the stock levers, replicate on the new levers.  waytogo

Step 5.
Install the lever.
It is reverse order of how you took it off. Slip the lever back in, align the holes, slip in the bolt, secure bolt with nut. That's it!!! Adjust the lever reach to your taste. I promise you the clutch side is identical in procedure.
 drink
Make sure you function test it before hitting the road.

Pazzo Racing long levers in Titan w/ black dials

« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:29:01 AM by 1313 » Logged

09 M696
mstevens
Monsterless

No Monster of my own, but my wife has an '09 696

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 08:49:31 AM »

Thanks. That's wonderful for those us who are both highly visual and mechanical nitwits. This may be just be what I need to get off my butt and replace my levers!

2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring (Rosso Anniversary Ducati)
2009 Ducati Monster 696 (Giallo Ducati) - Sold
2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Rosso Anniversary Ducati) - Sold
2005 Vespa LX-150 (Rosso Dragone) - First Bike Ever

Casa Suzana, vacation rental house in Cozumel, Mexico
jandie

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 09:07:32 AM »

I know there is another how-to on this subject but I am a visually oriented person. I need pictures more than words.

THANK YOU!!!!!!! chug

09 Monster 696 (Pearl White): CF Termi, Rizoma Lux Grips, Rizoma Reverse Retro Mirrors, Pazzo Levers, CW Fender Eliminator, White Reflective Rim Tape, <more to come soon>
sfarchie

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 08:16:43 PM »

Again, another great tutorial! Whatcha gonna do next?  Wink

I was a bit of a flower when it came to installing the levers. I kept imagining myself riding along and pulling both the clutch and brake levers and ... nothing! The local dealer did it less than 15 mins and charged me $24.50. I could live with that rather than my useless lever fear.

Ray
SFaRChie
'10 Streetfighter, '01 KTM Duke II, '09 M1100S (RIP), '08 Vespa GTS 250,'58 Vespa Allstate (RIP), M696 (sold)
Raux
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 09:31:09 PM »

this made it sooo simple. got the new pazzo shorties. easy as pie. but it has to make you wonder how that bottom nut is so loose? scary huh.
Peyton696

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 05:55:19 AM »

Great tutorial. Just in case you don't feel like mucking up your hands, use some latex hospital gloves or just use a q-tip. Also, for pazzo levers (which I just installed) I found it helps to have the adjustment on 6 for easier installment of the pivot bolt, at 1 the holes just didn't seem to line up as well. After you install it, adjust to your comfort. Also, pay attention to the the screw profile on pazzo's in comparison to your stock levers. Mine were different on the brake and clutch.

Thanks! Took me about 10 minutes after I got everything organized.
rizduc
RIZDUC

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 11:10:03 AM »

this made it sooo simple. got the new pazzo shorties. easy as pie. but it has to make you wonder how that bottom nut is so loose? scary huh.

This might be a dumb question.  What is the advantage of the shorties than regular?  I have small hands.  tks in advance.

1999 750 Monster Dark sold
2009 696 Monster Dark
Brooklyn, NY
Live Free & Ride!!!  Be Safe
Raux
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 01:14:29 PM »

for my i typically use 2 or 3 fingers for braking and clutching. at first i was crushing my small finger during clutching until i went to 4 fingers so going to the shorties feels more natural to me.

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »

This might be a dumb question.  What is the advantage of the shorties than regular?  I have small hands.  tks in advance.

There's really no advantage to short or long as reach is what is adjustable on these types of levers. Some people use two fingers to brake or clutch or whatever. Hell even one finger. The shorties are just that.. less real estate for the rest of your fingers. No wasted space so to speak. It's really dependent on the person.

09 M696
Holden
Sausage Creature

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 01:30:10 PM »

Some crashes or tip-overs will scrape or break long levers, whereas you might not need to replace your shorties in addition to your bar-ends. Also, on the track the longer lever might be more prone to making contact with another bike = wreck (rare situation). Wink
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:31:48 PM by Holden » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: