Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 11:11:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get more fuel into a 620 Multistrada  (Read 10653 times)
silentbob
« on: May 11, 2008, 09:21:53 AM »

The 1000 and 1100 Multistrada was designed to outperform the 620 in every way.  It has better suspension, more travel, more cornering and ground clearance, more power, and greater fuel capacity.  But the bigger engine consumes more fuel per mile than the 620 so if the tanks were the same size, then the 620 would have a greater range.  Now this isn't a concern for a SBK, but many people buy the Multi as an adventure bike and range is important.  If buyers knew the 620 could go much farther than the big bike, they might opt for the 620 even though they could afford the 1000.  Ducati lists the big Multi as having a much larger fuel capacity, but a cursory inspection reveals the same size and shape gas tank on both models.  Ducati didn't want to redesign a new tank for the small Multi so what they did was to leave off the purge valve on the rear portion of the 620 tank.  This effectively renders the entire rear portion of the tank useless.  There are two options.  The first is to buy the parts from Ducati to bolt on to the tank or buy a simple check valve and screw it into the top of the tank where the pre-marked depressions are.  The second option is to fill the tank as far as you can, close the cap, shake the bike or ride around the block, open the cap and add another 1.5 gallons of gas.
red baron

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 09:53:32 AM »

Interesting, especially as I'd like to purchase a 620 MTS soon.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
mstevens
Monsterless

No Monster of my own, but my wife has an '09 696

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 05:09:23 PM »

If only I could cram an extra 1.5 gallons in the tank of my Monster 620!

2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring (Rosso Anniversary Ducati)
2009 Ducati Monster 696 (Giallo Ducati) - Sold
2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Rosso Anniversary Ducati) - Sold
2005 Vespa LX-150 (Rosso Dragone) - First Bike Ever

Casa Suzana, vacation rental house in Cozumel, Mexico
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 07:38:09 PM »

Nice tip.

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 12:41:32 PM »

You can sacrifice one of your multi's saddle bags and add a fuel cell as in this photo....extra 5gal!

Here is the full write up on this project....very interesting! Cool

http://onewheeldrive.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=803&Itemid=158
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 12:43:31 PM by BastrdHK » Logged

M-ROCin' it!!!
Alex

2000 M900ie

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 08:54:33 AM »

That's insane, 5 extra gallons? Even on a multistrada, I don't think I could handle riding 400 miles without a chance to stretch my legs at the pump. That guy must have been touring across Mongolia or something to make that mod necessary.

Aftermarket: RoadRacing modified under-engine exhaust, revalved 996 forks, ProCutting half-open clutch, CC triple and pressure plate, 999 clipons, BMC filter, CRG-LS mirrors, PC3, Rizoma rearsets, heated grips, +2 teeth in rear gearing, Veypor VR2 computer, MBP collets, Yoyodyne slave, Galfer waves front and rear, misc CF (mostly faded), CRG clutch/brake levers.
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 03:14:55 PM »

Not quite, but a cannonball run from NYC to LA on a 1098S.....bad ass!  Cool

M-ROCin' it!!!
GOTJ

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 04:52:04 PM »

"buy a simple check valve "

I'm ready to install a check valve but haven't found a source. Any tips?
The Architect

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 05:47:50 PM »

"buy a simple check valve "

I'm ready to install a check valve but haven't found a source. Any tips?

http://www.thinkauto.com/onewayvalves.htm

I just have to find a supplier.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: