Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 05:18:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review: Puma Desmo riding boots  (Read 15934 times)

« on: December 02, 2008, 05:06:54 PM »

I'll detail this thread with pictures later tonight but here's the quick and dirty version.

Pros:
-ROOMY footbed and toe box. I have wide feet and wear wide width shoes normally.
-Good ankle articulation.
-Good out of box overall feel.
-Good grip on concrete.
-Easy/wide entry.

Cons:
-Your mileage may vary but I wish it was a bit tighter on top of my foot.
-Top rear edge of the boot is cutting into the lower portion of my calf when standing and walking. Riding position is fine.
-Grip on painted/treated garage floor is poor. My feet slipped a few times backing out my bike. My feet aren't 100% planted on the floor.

Just a quick note on sizing. I normally wear 8.5-9 wide in US Men's. Euro 43 was just fine. I still have some toe room. My toes aren't bunched up (which I prefer). They recommend you go up 1/2 size up from your normal size since these boots run a bit small.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 09:12:10 PM by 1313 » Logged

09 M696

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 09:04:40 PM »

Solution to one of my gripes..
WEAR LONGER SOCKS! That solved the problem of it digging or putting annoying pressure on my calf. On my initial T&E, I wore calf high socks that sat just right under the top edge of the boots. It was basically boot-on-skin.
I'm wearing the boots right now around the house with over the calf socks. Problem solved.

Here are some pictures..

"Street" toe slider vs "Track" toe slider. The Track slider comes preinstalled. It has a metal bar as the slider versus the plastic of the street one.

Bottom
As stated, traction is very limited on really smooth surfaces. It's fine on concrete. I would advise you guys to be careful when walking on wet surfaces especially tile. Ouch.

Entry
The boot opens up pretty wide. I was just holding open with my fingers. It goes bigger than this.

The best part I think.... It looks like regular Puma shoes with long boot cut jeans. The shiny heel plastic is covered up.

The boot itself..

09 M696
duclvr

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 03:36:25 AM »

Nice looking boot.
yoreese

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 05:47:32 AM »

Thanks for the review, I'm going to Cycle Gear to try on the Desmo's this week and may return my Bonneville's.

1999 M750 Dark
2002 ST4S
causeofkaos

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 08:12:08 AM »

did you get those on-line and if you dont mind what did they run you.
I live in Taft Ca.( armpit of the world ) moved here 2 years ago closest thing is Bakersuck which has nothing for gear shopping as far as ive experienced.

Favorite convo i read on this board
"PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN"
"F**K U IT HAPPENED"

Suzuki Blvd M109R " Sliver " = assassinated by cager
PW 696 " Pearl " = traded in
M1100 " Loki " = Viking God of mischief ( Goddess in this case )
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty pristine body, but rather to come in sliding sideways all used up screaming F*CK YEAH WHAT A RDIE!!

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 09:08:15 AM »

I live in Taft Ca.( armpit of the world ) moved here 2 years ago closest thing is Bakersuck which has nothing for gear shopping as far as ive experienced.

I got them from one of our forum vendors (www.motowheels.com). Once you log in with your account, you'll see the price. MUCH cheaper than what other retailers are selling them for and you get free shipping this holiday season!

09 M696
Ivan

Turn 3 at Streets of Willow

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 09:52:52 AM »

I live in Taft Ca.( armpit of the world )

At least you've got the 58, 33, and Cerro Noreste Rd nearby.

Sold: 2007 S2R1000 for canyon carving and commuting - DP ECU, PCIII, BMC air filter with open box, Zard full exhaust, Race-tech fork internals, Ohlins steering damper, and a Penske 8987 triple clicker

2000 996XU (extra ugly) for track days - BST carbon wheels, Ohlins shock, reworked fork, FBF exhaust, and a bunch of megacycle rocker arms. The rest of it is junk - Hey, I'm just happy that it runs...

Sold: 2002 Aprilia RST1000 for touring - De-restricted airbox, Taylormade Racing exhaust
causeofkaos

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 12:34:54 PM »

oh yeah the riding out here is awesome!! however the tooth brush was invented in Taft, if it was invented any where else they would have called it teeth brush...... ( i just moved here i can talk all the shit i want )
you know what TAFT stands for........... Teeth Are For Tourists..   I make joke.  laughingdp

Favorite convo i read on this board
"PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN"
"F**K U IT HAPPENED"

Suzuki Blvd M109R " Sliver " = assassinated by cager
PW 696 " Pearl " = traded in
M1100 " Loki " = Viking God of mischief ( Goddess in this case )
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty pristine body, but rather to come in sliding sideways all used up screaming F*CK YEAH WHAT A RDIE!!
Heath

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 01:35:31 PM »

+1 on the getting a half size larger.  I tried these on at cyclegear and they are nice.  I usually wear an 11 and needed the one that was for 11.5.

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
monster monkey
After I Eat, I Am A

That Really Is Me, I Promise!

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 12:18:35 AM »

Now those are some boots I can see myself in!

+1 on sharing the details on price range too

Everytime I'm on two wheels, the streets part, heavens open, and hearts pound

The heart pounding is true, at least...
DoubleEagle

" If you are unafraid you will be safe "

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 09:14:33 PM »

I have a pair of the Desmos and find them very comfortable.

I'm not sure though that they are as robust as the Alpine*s SMX Plus Racing  boots I usually wear.    Dolph

'08 Ducati 1098 R    '09 BMW K 1300 GT   '10 BMW S 1000 RR

Shortest sentence...." I am "   Longest sentence ... " I Do "
angler
my dangling

'05 S2R 800 Dark

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 10:04:45 AM »

+1 on slippery!  I have the Bonnevilles and tile or painted concrete is like walking on greased glass.

996 forks, BoomTubes, frame sliders, CRG bar-end mirrors, vizitech integrated tail light, rizoma front turn signals, rizoma grips, cycle cat multistrada clip ons, pantah belt covers - more to come

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken
yoreese

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 04:21:17 PM »

I got my new Desmos!!  They are nice!!!

1999 M750 Dark
2002 ST4S
ghosthound

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 03:42:03 PM »

whats the pricing on these suckers?

Do they sell these at Puma stores?  theres one in my mall and they have this cool picture of a 696 so i would assume they do.
Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 03:54:35 PM »

I own a pair that I got at the Local Cycle Gear 200 bucks  Wink

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: