Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 03:33:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lowered headlight bracket "kit"  (Read 34595 times)
TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« on: December 16, 2008, 10:40:59 AM »

Info on the headlight lowering kit can be found here:

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=13011.0

Stock bracket vs. Modified bracket.  Not only are the headlight mounting brackets lowered, but the U bracket itself is chopped down to accomidate lowering the gauges below the triple.  You COULD leave the gauges above the triple, but I do not believe the flyscreen would fit if you did that.  I can accommodate NOT chopping the bracket on request if you arn't using a fairing/screen.

Install pics (my bike)
Bare

Gauge mounting lugs need a spacer.  On my bike/early on, I cut the plastic piece that fits in the top portion of the ubracket.  I chopped it in half, then stuffed it inside the guage mounting lugs to take up the space.  This lets us use a M5 fastener, instead of having to custom machine a bolt with a flange on it ($$).

Gauges with the spacer in, M5 bolts in (yum, Ti), and the other half of the plastic piece, that will secure the top of the U bracket and help stabilize the gauges. 

NOTE:  I put a rubber washer inbetween the gauge and the triple, to help a bit with vibration.  The gauges don't shake at all, and I've put around 2K miles on the bike since this mod with no ill effects.  HOWEVER, I'm not responsible for your gauges/vibration.  I took a look at fabbing some sort of rubber mount ala factory, but it's not something I wanted to get involved in.  I havn't read anything about someone dropping the gauges under the triple, and then having issues, but it is possible.  This is all up to you all to install the way you see fit, I'm just providing the welding service to the U bracket, and some fasteners in the correct length.  If you screw up your bike, break your gauges off and consequently run over clifford the big red dog, don't come whining to me about it Smiley

Now, enough of that.

Remember the other part of that plastic piece?  Well, thats why it goes there.  The u bracket now slides up into place.  Those plastic pieces fit into the top part of the ubracket, and then the bracket gets bolted down.

More Ti (of course- NOT INCLUDED)

NOTE: If you are using Ti fasteners.  ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use Ti prep, or antiseize (nickle based/silver stuff) otherwise you risk galling (actually you always risk that, when dissimilar metals are fastened together).  Torque to the appropriate setting, or good-n-tight depending on how adventurous you are.

What I did with the pressure sensor.  A quick zip tie takes care of this.

Some pics in progess (He-Man's)

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 07:48:59 PM by TAftonomos » Logged

b.

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 11:41:29 AM »

Email sent.

2005 M620 | so*cal | terapia.
Two dogs
S2R1000 gives me a warm feeling in my

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 12:11:03 PM »

Can anyone post up a before and after pic of there bike with lowered headlight and gauges
would be interested in seeing the diff. and if its worth the effort as a purely cosmetic mod.
cheers
dez
ProTeal55

HalfFastChicago.Com

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 01:01:37 PM »

Sent a PM (For whatever reason your email is "hidden")...

ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Joe
Member: Half Fast Chicago

http://www.HalfFastChicago.com
TAftonomos

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 03:23:11 PM »

No before pics, only after.  Gauges are dropped below the triple (mounting), and the screen/headlight is lowered as well.

TAftonomos

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 04:23:08 PM »

Pics are coming of the Ubracket on the bike.

On my bike, I've eliminated the second, wire U bracket that holds the air temp sensor.  A simple zip tie secures this piece up out of the way, and lets you get rid of that second offending u bracket up there.

I don't really have a better way right now of re-locating that temp sensor.  If that is a concern to anyone that contacted me, please let me know.  I can possibly come up with a tab to weld on the U bracket to bolt that sensor to.  Will take a bit to have it made, but it's possible.

Two dogs
S2R1000 gives me a warm feeling in my

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 04:33:28 PM »

Thanks  for that  waytogo
 your bike looks great
TAftonomos

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 04:37:51 PM »

Thanks!

Anyone know how I can copy a page/pic from the adobe reader to a .gif file?  I want to post a pic of this bracket I'm talking about, but the only thing I've been able to do is put it on the clipboard, and I can't get the image to display.

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 05:07:10 PM »

you can use photoshop or an online converter to pull out the image. or just PM it to me and ill do it.

the piece hes talking about can be cut loose from the main wire assembly and shuffled around anywhere you want. Its actually a pressure sensor for altitude changes it think, so it isnt quite sensitive to relitively minor temp changes. I have mine zip tied to the bracket as well.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 05:09:48 PM by He Man » Logged

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
TAftonomos

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 05:40:48 PM »

Thanks He Man Smiley

The bracket indicated by the arrow is the one that goes bye bye

dansamp

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 06:04:12 PM »

Will this fit on  98 M900 Huh?

has anyone tried it on an older Monster ??

Dan.......
metallimonster

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 06:06:22 AM »

So I really like the look of doing this but does it make it harder to read the guages. Meaning, do you have to make more significant head move instead of just glancing down?

Wherever I May Roam, Where I Lay My Head Is Home
02 620 Dark- High Mount CF Arrows
TAftonomos

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 07:29:37 AM »

I didn't notice it at all, but I'm fairly tall (6'5").

Easy way to check.....pull the headlight/bracket off, and hold the gauges under the triple and see for yourself.

yotogi

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 09:01:52 AM »

I know that the little screen doesn't do a lot to help with wind, but in people's experience with this kind of modification how much does this reduce the effectiveness of the fairing?

b.

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 09:36:41 AM »

I know that the little screen doesn't do a lot to help with wind, but in people's experience with this kind of modification how much does this reduce the effectiveness of the fairing?

It will most likely be a case by case basis since we're all of varying heights--unless you're talking about being in full-racing tuck, in which case this probably will make it less effective.  I removed the fairing altogether years ago because at my height (5'10") it was just redirecting air straight to my head and creating extra wind noise...and aesthetically speaking, I think it looks better without.  I imagine with it a couple inches lower it's still not going to help.

...but what do we care, right?  After all, we ride naked bikes.   Cool

2005 M620 | so*cal | terapia.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: