Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 18, 2024, 05:12:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The impossible tech question...  (Read 2669 times)
grandpa nate
« on: December 30, 2008, 06:52:08 AM »

Ok here we go...

For about 3 months now I have been hearing what sounds like a bearing noise in my engine when the bike reaches about 210-220 deg.  Ducati says it is pulley noise but the shop has replaced the bearings and the noise is still there.  The techs also replaced the clutch bearing and inspected the trans.  The bike has about 8500 miles on it and is ridden kinda hard but is not abused.  All services are done to this point as well.

I figure this is the place to ask so any help would be appreciated.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 07:34:38 AM »

From what I understand, when Ducati started using a sonic measurement for belt tension,belt pulley bearing noise increased as did failures.

If you're adventurous try the allen key method. I'm not familiar with the layout of the pulleys. If it is similar to the 1000 DS engine the allen key method doesn't work. If it is similar to the previous 2V engines like the 600-900s I'd give it a shot.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 08:07:45 AM »

For about 3 months now I have been hearing what sounds like a bearing noise in my engine when the bike reaches about 210-220 deg.
I would suggest getting louder pipes, then you won't notice little noises like that.

I was warned when I bought my first Ducati that they make more noise than other motorcycles, and I've learned to ignore most of the sounds.  Wearing earplugs helps too.

If all of the clutch and belt bearings are good, just wear earplugs and ride the thing.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
grandpa nate
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 08:12:18 AM »

Well the full termi system is not loud enough.  The open airbox is not loud enough.  The open clutch cover is not loud enough.  And none of my other Ducatis made this noise.   Grin
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 08:18:28 AM »

Well the full termi system is not loud enough.  The open airbox is not loud enough.  The open clutch cover is not loud enough.  And none of my other Ducatis made this noise.   Grin
But are you wearing earplugs?  Wink

When you finally find out what is making the strange noise, please report back.  You might try posting something on the Desmo Times forum: http://ssnyder.proboards7.com/index.cgi? and see if LT Snyder recognizes the symptoms.  He has a lot of knowledge about stuff like that and is happy to help all Ducati owners with good advice.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
grandpa nate
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 08:32:11 AM »

Thank you for the link.  It has been posted and all I can do now is wait (not one of my strong points).  Also I will taking her in (Sophia is the bikes name) to the shop at lunch today.  I will post anything I hear back.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 09:00:53 AM »

I'd check the bearing in the left sidecover.

What engine are we talking about?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
grandpa nate
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 09:11:45 AM »

07 S2R 1000
J.P.

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 01:43:40 PM »

Mine too- only notice it at idle, clutch in.
06S2R1k. Seems ok though.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 06:12:38 PM »

The 1000ds motors when hot do make this noise, if the belt tension is high it makes it more . I would put money that the belt tensioner bearings are under a strain and probably dry.
I have seen this quite a bit and some do it with new bearings you might have the shop try a lower tension on the belts and see if it gets better. make sure that they  are not setting them at 140HZ as the bearings will fail. ducati was spec'ing the belts at that setting at first and we had a bunch of failures. now they are being set lower like 100-120HZ
Smokescreen

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 08:37:56 PM »

Thank you for the link.  It has been posted and all I can do now is wait (not one of my strong points).  Also I will taking her in (Sophia is the bikes name) to the shop at lunch today.  I will post anything I hear back.

I think I've pinpointed the problem here, are you taking it to a Ducati dealer for service?  It's not in the manual, but I've heard innumerable reports that taking Ducatis to Ducati dealers causes regular failures....  You might want to look into that?

Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary. 

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
grandpa nate
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 08:01:43 AM »

Welp I am going to try the not so tight belt idear.  Yesterday the techs said it was because I was riding in stop and go traffic and the belts were stretching and contracting.  Huh? Sounds kinda dumb to me but eh...
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 05:24:03 PM »

If you ever had a bearing failure  you know they can make a loud whine, My alternator on my pick-up was so loud you had to put the windows up. The tensioner bearings tend to moan in  on and off pattern, again when the bike gets quite warm.  have the tech check the belt tension with the DDS when it is making the noise, bet the tension is over 200HZ 
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 05:37:44 PM »

If you ever had a bearing failure  you know they can make a loud whine, My alternator on my pick-up was so loud you had to put the windows up. The tensioner bearings tend to moan in  on and off pattern, again when the bike gets quite warm.  have the tech check the belt tension with the DDS when it is making the noise, bet the tension is over 200HZ 
...think they;ll listen?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

grandpa nate
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 08:01:13 AM »

Welp...just an update on "the noise".  My darlin Sophia (my bike not my wife) is getting her engine torn down by the shop to find the noise.  Now I know the techs have told me that "mechanically" the bike is fine and will not grenade, but I kinda figure the noise shouldn't be there so they need to make it go away.  Thankfully it is all covered under warranty.  That is all.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: