Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 11:26:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spool Install  (Read 8434 times)
MurDuc

2003 M1000S

« on: May 12, 2008, 09:08:52 PM »

The biggest problem I had was I couldn't find a 25/64ths drill bit anywhere. I had to "make it work" with 3/8ths.

The red arrows on the first pic show the internal web they are referring to. They just want you to miss cross structure.

About where I want it.

Checking clearance.

Mark it dude.

Looks about right. Grin

Measuring for the other side.

Punch it.

Drill it.

There is a big hole in my swingarm!

Push in the insert.

Crushing it.

Don't forget the locktite.

Put on the spool.

And there you have it.

I had a little trouble with the right side spinning when I put on the spool. Combo of having to "route it out" with the 3/8ths and not crushing it enough I guess. I got the spool back off, no thanks to the locktite. Tongue I crushed the ever loving shite out of the insert again, and all was well after that.

Time for... drink

Master of Suds / LSD - Department of Hooliganism
erkishhorde

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 02:45:40 PM »

A bit late to the party but good tutorial. One small note about the 3rd picture where you're making sure you've got enough clearance. If you think you might want to upgrade your axle plate to one of the nice CNC aluminum bits you do not want the fork of the stand to get as close to the axle nut as it is pictured. In fact, you don't want the fork of the stand to overlap with the plate at all or there is a good chance you'll gouge your nice new axle plate the first time you use your stand.

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
woodyracing

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 08:54:30 PM »

agreed, very good tutorial the one thing I will add that while it is a bit more difficult, I tend to prefer weld-on spool bungs to the inserts.  It gets the wheel a little higher off the ground and the bike is a bit more level when using a front stand plus you don't have to worry about interfering with the adjuster plates.

fasterblkduc

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 10:04:03 AM »

agreed, very good tutorial the one thing I will add that while it is a bit more difficult, I tend to prefer weld-on spool bungs to the inserts.  It gets the wheel a little higher off the ground and the bike is a bit more level when using a front stand plus you don't have to worry about interfering with the adjuster plates.

Same here. I weld them on.

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: