Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 05:49:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to: install Rizoma Grips  (Read 10554 times)
hydra

life is analog...

« on: January 29, 2009, 07:50:50 PM »

hello folks,

i thought i'd post  my install of the rizoma sportline grips. i'm installing them on cyclecat clip ons. i saw someone else do a how-to on grips but that was for the standard rubber grip type, a slightly different installation process that doesn't require removing the cam/sleeve.

BTW, i bought my grips from PJ's and got them in 3 days...thanks!

first, remove the bar ends with an allen key.

EDIT: Darkstar pointed out that i didn't need to remove the grip from the throttle tube. duh  Roll Eyes
yes, that's true, you could just disassemble the throttle cable housing and just slide the whole thing off. totally unneccessary step to remove the grip...oh well...thanks Darkstar.

removal of the grips:

i used the method others have recommended and the original grips came off with ease. this is the screwdriver/WD-40 technique.
stick the screwdriver inside the grip, spray a little WD40 inside then do it again at a different part of the grip (see pic). you'll only need a little WD40, i did 3 quick sprays around the diameter. pull the screwdriver out a little and then doing a twist/pull action, it slides right off.

here's what the plastic throttle sleeve looks like underneath the grip.

next, disassemble the throttle housing the cable. you only need to unscrew 2x 8mm head screws and 2 phillips head screws. you'll notice the cable end with the ball connected to the cam. remove the cable from the cam and the sleeve will be free to remove.

clean up the bars with alcohol or any cleaner good cleaner that cleans grease and oil.
next, open your brand spanking new and beautiful rizoma grips! aaah.
obviously, the grip with the teeth on it is for the throttle side. you'll have to match up your original cam from the choice of 3 cams provided by rizoma. then line up the teeth on the grip and the cam and connect.

the rizoma grips are slightly bigger in diameter so you'll need to put something on the handle bar so they sit firm. otherwise the grips will have a little play in them. i used a piece of electrical tape, only going once around and at 3 different points on the handle bar. this method seems to work so far for me. sorry but i forgot to take a pic of this step. ..anyone else who has a better solution, please  post up. i'd like to improve on it.

slide those new puppies onto the bar and now you're ready to connect the throttle cable to the new cam and reassemble the throttle housing (is that what they call that thing???)
just retrace your steps when you disassembled it. only thing to watch for is to make sure you line up the little post on the inside of the casing to the little hole on the handle bar (see pic).

the left grip is the same process but obviously there's no cable involved. my left bar already had a coating of some form of sticky type of substance (see pic) which i just left on and i put the new grip right over it and it's a firm fit. otherwise you'd have to put something else to do the same job. does anyone know what that stuff is called???

here's a quick shot of my dirty bike and the new grips after install. still debating bar end mirrors or stalks so the bar ends are just the stock ones for now. i love the look of the rizoma bar ends as they're matched perfectly to their grips.
anyone else have other suggestions on this install, please post up...

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 08:30:24 AM by hydra » Logged

S4 Foggy- tires, battery...
'04 BMW Boxer Cup Replika (R1100S)
BE WATER
DarkStaR

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 12:42:06 AM »

Couldn't you have just removed the grip and throttle tube together?

I notice the bars protrude past the Rizoma grip after your install.  Is the Rizoma grip shorter then stock?

Just my .02: I don't think electrical tape is the best choice to take up clearance between the throttle tube and grip.  It might bunch up and goo thinks up in there.   Shocked

hydra

life is analog...

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 06:48:58 AM »

yes you're totally right, i could've saved me a couple of minutes and skipped that step altogether. wasn't really thinking and went on auto pilot... Cool
(i fixed the post)

thanks darkstar

and yes these rizoma sportline grips are a little shorter than stock. not sure how bar ends mirrors will look with those gaps in between.
anyone have any suggestions on what to use to take up the slack between the bar and grip?
i'm going to the hardware store today and find something better.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:50:02 AM by hydra » Logged

BE WATER
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 04:18:01 PM »

Some 1-inch dia. heat shrink tubing might do the trick
slide it on there, shrink it down.. could work well

EDIT:
After just installing mine, yes there is a small amount of room between the grip and the bar, but nothing noticeable.
In fact, you need that bit of room on the throttle control side.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 08:26:36 PM by corey » Logged

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
Amlethae
ahm-leth-eye

If life is a stage, you'd better let me direct.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 07:13:29 PM »

Can someone also add to this HowTo and talk about moving the throttle and clutch-side grips out in order to remove the 1/2" gap left by the shorter (than stock) Rizoma grips?  Specifically on a 696.  I've heard multiple different ways... drilling a new hole, shaving down the throttle nub... what's the best way?  And how does one drill a new hole in the bar?  Thanks for the help!

First bike (ever): 2008 Monster 696 [now it's the wife's]
Lost to the front end of a GMC truck: 2010 Monster 1100s w/ABS [miss it!]
Currently Riding: 2013 Streetfighter 848
hydra

life is analog...

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 09:25:07 AM »

Can someone also add to this HowTo and talk about moving the throttle and clutch-side grips out in order to remove the 1/2" gap left by the shorter (than stock) Rizoma grips?  Specifically on a 696.  I've heard multiple different ways... drilling a new hole, shaving down the throttle nub... what's the best way?  And how does one drill a new hole in the bar?  Thanks for the help!

i'm not sure about the 696 or any of the stock bars in general. i have the cycle cat clip ons which are 22mm in size.
this is from a previous thread after i posted this tutorial. but i should have posted this here... Tongue

i might still go and cut the bars down but i found a quick fix for now...

i found out the CRG hindsight LS mirror can be mounted onto a 22mm handle bar. i mounted them at the end of the bar and used the stock bar ends for now. the CRG mounts goes past the actual bar but there is enough there to torque it down to the bar. and i was still able to tighten the bar end bolts which keep the whole thing in place. no movement at all.

but i'm not very satisfied (aesthetically) with the CRG's. they look kind of cheap being in the same mix as the rizoma grips and cycle cat triple/clips.  and i'm not sure how i feel about having the mirrors positioned above the bar. seems to me they would get in the way at times when reaching for the bar, so i positioned them under the bar.

this is the first time using bar end mirrors and without the mickey mouse ears. it felt strange at first, but once i got used to it, it felt nice. i have noticeably less overall turbulence and noise which is very nice. i have to move my head a bit more and turn my elbow in a little to get a full view of the mirror but i can get used to that.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 08:36:16 AM by hydra » Logged

BE WATER
jinjan

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 09:14:22 PM »

I have a different problem, the throttle grip has a play that allows it to move clockwise when I want to accelerate, its like the cable is not tensioned enough and I do not accelerate from the start there is a 2-3 deg of movement before the acceleration cable is engaged. This kinda bothers me when I try to shift gears I have some dead times when I try to accelerate, and the movement is not so lean.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: