Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 16, 2024, 04:56:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: battery replacement for s4rs  (Read 7882 times)
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« on: February 25, 2009, 10:54:47 AM »

Is there a better battery than the OEM unit that comes in the S4RS?  Mine is finally showing signs of needing replacement at about 30,000 miles and almost 30 months. FWIW I usually ride about 50+ miles daily.

Better might mean more powerful and/or lighter.

I wonder about the charging system too.  Ducatis in the "good old days" had pretty weak reps for pretty weak charging systems.  Are the modern bikes up to snuff, so to speak?

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:57:19 PM »

Better is hard to say.  You could go for an Optima, which is good quality and lighter, but less amp hours.  There are the Speed Cell batteries available from Moto Works and maybe some of our other sponsors, extremely tiny and light weight and expensive, also new technology.  Me, I would stay with the Yuasa that came in your bike.

As far as the charging system goes, 520 watts is nothing to sneeze at.   
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 01:30:53 PM »

The late model charging systems seem pretty robust, from what I've seen.

They are still prone to barbequeing the 3-wire connector that goes between the alternator and the regulator/rectifier.
I truly wish ducati would put a *real* connector there in place of the crappy 'molex' style thing they use.
Bikes that live outdoors and/or near the beach are much more prone to having problems with it.

That's not to say that keeping your bike indoors will prevent issues.
My S4 has spent *very* few hours outdoors (other than when I'm riding it), and very seldom ridden in the rain.
And most of it's life has been in a dry climate 40 miles from the beach.
It still tried to smoke that connector.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 07:51:13 AM »

i don't have FHE with the odyssey, but a few people in my group have told me they've used them and liked them.  my bike is outside (covered) 24/7   :'(   so, i considered putting one in my s4r last year but ended up just putting in a new Yuasa (haven't had problems since)

http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc680-battery.html

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
Munch

Monster S4R - Munchstrada 1100S - 749R

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 07:19:32 PM »

Better might mean more powerful and/or lighter.

Speed Cell from motowheels...

~8.5 lbs vs ~1.5 lbs

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/mySearchResult.cfm?parentcategoryid=&productID=6814&showDetail=1&categoryID=995|Ducati%20Desmosedici%20Electricial&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=speedcell&collection=

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 07:46:34 PM »

with a battery that size, pod filters and some time, id bet you could install a metal gas tank before they started going flat batts.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 08:08:11 PM »

with a battery that size, pod filters and some time, id bet you could install a metal gas tank before they started going flat batts.

What in the hell did you just say?

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 08:14:42 PM »

What in the hell did you just say?
Even he would only be guessing.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 08:36:31 PM »

I've been wondering about whether this would work or not.  I've got pods, was wondering if a metal tank would mount up.  Which FI Monsters had metal tanks?  and then there is that fuel pressure thing - probably not too much difference there.  So much extra room for fuel now...  just need a tank to take advantage of it.

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 08:39:20 PM »

you and I both. lol ive been ebay sniping tanks for a long time, and i let one go for 24.99. it was a carbbie though. the carbs has a different seat cut out though so im glad i let it go. as for metal tanks on FI. its any bike under 05 till 01., unless you get one of the oddity plastic phase in tanks. or the non 900 01's that were still carbed.

Id really like to move everything in that general area to fit a metal tank...why? cause metal tank = cheap to PC and change color when ur bored. Smiley

i figure you can just cut a hole in the bottom to match your curent fuel pump. install, check for leaks and swap!

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: