Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 09:48:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swatt 3.5" rise clip ons. On S2R800 with coffin reservoirs. Review. (long)  (Read 8526 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« on: March 07, 2009, 10:33:20 AM »

OMG  Tongue   Long post, but I hope it helps.

Guys - my measurements and comments are as follows.... (remember that most of this post relates to the coffin reservoirs issues)

My impression is that these are very well made and look great. They are not plug and play for my bike, but can be fitted by "anyone" with some patience. Jeff at MonsterParts have the required spacers and other bolts you might/might not need.

1. SWAP LEFT/RIGHT. The riser part itself must be swapped left/right and rotated 180 degrees. This will leave less bar pinch clamp material, for the coffins to clear. My model Swatts require longer bolts (30mm) for the riser/fork clamp connection. Newer model Swatts might not.
It's important to notice that this "swap" can only be done with the 3.5" model - shorter risers will hit the top triple (I think).

2. SPACERS. Even with "the swap" the spacers are required. One picture show some clearance, which might be needed to rotate the levers. The shown clearance is not enough to avoid getting the spacers, but it's a very close call.

3. BAR ENDS. Inner diameter is larger than stock bars. I will have to use the supplied larger plastic thingies (?) to fit the ends. Some bar ends might not fit at all, if they are stock bar specific.

4. REROUTING. My dealer rotated the throttle assembly. I'm not sure if this can be avoided - it looks tight.
My SW-Motech mirror wideners (TwistedThrottle.com) complicated this to a certain degree.
Some of the rerouting was done to accommodate the SpeedyMoto top triple, which BTW required the front to be lowered "a little" / 2-3-4-5 mm.

5. REACH. My measurement of the stock vs clip ons reach is somewhat effected by adjusting the steering stops and the fact that the clip ons aren't as wide as the stock bars. The new sweep angle put the grips closer to the rider, even if the risers are mounted in front of the forks. Anyhow: the grips are 1" closer to the seat, where I measured, than the stock bars were.

6. HEIGHT. This is where I failed (big time) to calculate correctly. These clip ons, as most, have 5 degrees down angle. More, much more, importantly the sweep angle puts the grips at an even steeper angle, thus even lower. I thought the height would be about an inch lower, but it's about 3 inches lower than stock. I measured from the bottom of the fork tubes to the inner part of the grips.

TO SUM IT UP.  I wanted further reach and more height than I got. It's not even close to plug and play. I will try to get used to the new set up. It will be good for the track and twisties, but I'm worried about the radical changes.

EDIT  News today - I apparently got the risers from a 2.5" kit. I will confirm when I doublecheck.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 03:11:45 PM by stopintime » Logged

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 01:19:18 PM »

how are they measure 3.5" from absolute bottom to top? it looks like it barely cleared teh triple. lol

htye do look pretty nice though.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 01:57:37 PM »

how are they measure 3.5" from absolute bottom to top? it looks like it barely cleared teh triple. lol

htye do look pretty nice though.

They are about 4" from top to bottom.

How will that translate into 3.5" inches of rise? I guess it depends on where the "no rise model" has it's bars mounted. If they are mounted very low on the clamp the advertised 3.5" might be correct. If the total indeed is 4", half a bar tube is 11mm (x 2) and there is about 5mm of material on either end - the rise is more like 68mm (= ~2 2/3 inches) Damn it - I might have gotten the wrong ones.... Gonna check with Swatt...........

needtorque

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 02:04:35 PM »

Nice write-up and thanks for the good pics.  Something for me to think about when deciding weather to get these or not.  Fitment was my only question.  I do not have coffins but the space still looks tight for my master cylinders.

Who insures the FDIC?
mookieo2

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 05:07:22 PM »

I bought the 1 1/2 " ones and `am pretty happy with them. I also lowered my gauges and headlight while I was at it. I also moved the bars out a little bit from the clamp. I can see on yours that the bar is all the way inside the clamp. I moved mine out to make the bar longer. I do not have spacers but am considering them. I`ll get a pic from the front as soon as I can. They are a lot lower than stock and I find the angle to work quite well. I just put 300 miles on it the other day w/ no problems.
JTMOTO

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 08:51:13 PM »

Well, it looks fantastic and you picked my favorite triple.  I hope this setup grows on you, because I know you put a crapload of research into the decision.  I have been thinking of something similar when I put the new forks on.  If you could do it over, what do you think you'd do differently?
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 10:12:59 PM »

They are about 4" from top to bottom.

How will that translate into 3.5" inches of rise? I guess it depends on where the "no rise model" has it's bars mounted. If they are mounted very low on the clamp the advertised 3.5" might be correct. If the total indeed is 4", half a bar tube is 11mm (x 2) and there is about 5mm of material on either end - the rise is more like 68mm (= ~2 2/3 inches) Damn it - I might have gotten the wrong ones.... Gonna check with Swatt...........

Look at Speedymoto's new Tall Boy clipons - they are advertised as having a 3.5" rise(89mm), and look a lot taller mounted than yours do. Maybe you got the wrong ones.

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 03:40:06 AM »

Measuring the sweep angle by looking at the pictures - I guess the angle is about 35 degrees, which is quite radical. I might get more reach and the bars away from the tank if I adjust them for a little less sweep.

Look at Speedymoto's new Tall Boy clipons - they are advertised as having a 3.5" rise(89mm), and look a lot taller mounted than yours do. Maybe you got the wrong ones.

I'm checking it out - getting them one inch higher would be good. If I got the wrong ones, that's an easy fix.

Well, it looks fantastic and you picked my favorite triple.  I hope this setup grows on you, because I know you put a crapload of research into the decision.  I have been thinking of something similar when I put the new forks on.  If you could do it over, what do you think you'd do differently?

I really hope it all works out - it was expensive enough. If I knew about the height issue, I would have been too afraid of the radical changes. As it is now, I will find out if anything is wrong with the parts I got - either I get a longer Swatt riser or I get SpeedyMotos and put my assembled bars into those.
OR: I just get used to them. (Trying to stay positive)

DarkStaR

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 06:38:44 AM »

... either I get a longer Swatt riser or I get SpeedyMotos and put my assembled bars into those.
OR: I just get used to them. (Trying to stay positive)

If you do get the Speedymotos, you might as well change the bars.  That's what gives the Speedymotos the adjustability.

DucDucGoose

07-S4R POS-R6 79-XS650 flat track project

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 02:22:23 PM »

I kind of hope those are the 2.5" model I ordered the 2.5's if there shorter than what you posted I may have to get the 3.5"s instead  bang head

"Why is everything I enjoy so damn expensive!"
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 02:26:23 PM »

they probably count from the bottom of the clip on to the middle of the bar. because this is how 3.5" cycle cats look like.

measured from top of clip on to center of bar i believe. the speedy moto seems to be like that as well. Noticed how far from the triple they are.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 04:21:17 PM »

I kind of hope those are the 2.5" model I ordered the 2.5's if there shorter than what you posted I may have to get the 3.5"s instead  bang head

I hope so too, because then it will be "easy" to fix for me. My SpeedyMoto top triple is about 5mm higher than stock AND there is some clearance over the triple, but probably still not enough for your 2.5" to clear. (if you need to do the swap/rotate thing)

they probably count from the bottom of the clip on to the middle of the bar. because this is how 3.5" cycle cats look like.

measured from top of clip on to center of bar i believe. the speedy moto seems to be like that as well. Noticed how far from the triple they are.

Yeah, CC and SpeedyMoto seem to have a similar idea of what 3.5" is.
I think the correct way to measure/advertise would be from where a no-rise clip on places the base of the bar and up to the raised corresponding point. If so, the no-rise Swatt model has the bar at the middle of the fork clip (bottom of the bar is ~5mm from the bottom of the fork clip) - adding 3.5", a full bar and the material over the raised bar will have to be like this (?): 5mm + 3.5"/88mm + 22mm + 5mm = 120mm total assembly. My total assembly is about 100mm.
At this point my conclusion is that I got the wrong riser parts or that the advertised 3.5" rise just isn't there.
I will communicate with MonsterParts and Swatt to get to the bottom of this.

DucDucGoose

07-S4R POS-R6 79-XS650 flat track project

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 04:29:05 PM »

I hope so too, because then it will be "easy" to fix for me. My SpeedyMoto top triple is about 5mm higher than stock AND there is some clearance over the triple, but probably still not enough for your 2.5" to clear. (if you need to do the swap/rotate thing)

I shouldn't have to do the riser swap, I have piss cup reservoirs thats just the height I was going for having the bars just above the triples.  thanks for all the info and pics  waytogo

"Why is everything I enjoy so damn expensive!"
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 03:20:06 PM »

Grin Smiley Smiley waytogo drink

I received news today - I most probably got the risers from a 2.5" kit.
Double checking when my dealer can get it done. Pretty sure it's so - it all falls in place if the clip ons in my pictures are the 2.5"

I'm sorry to have caused all the disturbance about the height, clearance and whatnot.

drew.bradshaw

m750

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 04:04:59 PM »

Grin Smiley Smiley waytogo drink

I received news today - I most probably got the risers from a 2.5" kit.
Double checking when my dealer can get it done. Pretty sure it's so - it all falls in place if the clip ons in my pictures are the 2.5"

I'm sorry to have caused all the disturbance about the height, clearance and whatnot.

that sucks you may have received the wrong kit, but thank jebus it all worked out.  i have the 2.5 kit on order with monster parts and i am hoping it all works out.  after i read this post about the 3.5 kit i was getting worried about my decision.  im sure it will still take some adjusting to get it all right, but now im in the "i can't wait" attitude again. 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: