bigger tires on a 600 monster

(1/2) > >>

QueenBee:
hey guys!
Can u help with this
Can i put bigger tires on a ducati monster 600?
Front wheel -i have 120/60/17  and i would like to change it with 120/70/17
 Back wheel- i have 160/60/17 and i would like to change it with 180/55/17
or tell me about the sizes that fit my ducati.  ;D

I just bought motorcycle and i don't know so many things about it!
anyway, looking forward for an answer
thanks!
 [bow_down]

Slide Panda:
For the front, you might get away with the 120/70/17s - that's what a same year 900 runs.  But it will make your front end a bit higher due to the taller side wall of the 70.  That 2nd number (70) is the side wall height ratio to the width of the tire - so your side wall would be .70(the ratio)*120(the width) vs .60*120 on your current tires.  A taller front tire would effectively change your rake, increasing it.  The larger the rake angle, the greater straight stability a bike will tend towards, at the cost of quicker turning in.  So I'd stick with the 120/60/17

For the rear - don't.  You cannot mount that big a tire on your stock rims, just won't fit.  So if you really wanted to do it, you've be looking at a lot of work and cost to fit up a different wheel, that would ultimately lead to a poorer preforming bike.  You'd end up with a heavier wheel assembly, so you'd be adding weight to one of the worst spots on the bike.  It takes a lot of force to get a mass spinning or get it to stop.  So more weight = slower accel and decel.  Also, when you're initiating a turn it would require more from you to over come the greater gyro mass of the bigger wheel/tire. 

A 600 doesn't have enough brute force to warrant a bigger tire.. hell a 900 probably doesn't need the 180s that they run. 

Here's a link to some details on tires
http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=20996.0

QueenBee:
so, you are saying that i should get the  120/70/17 s  instead of the ones from stock?120/60/17.
This will increase my stability...this is what i understood from what you told me .

the_Journeyman:
I know on my 1999 M750 the 120/70 works just fine, gives you a bit more cushion on bumps etc.  As mentioned, you will ride a bit higher which can be compensated for by raising the rear or letting the forks ride a bit higher in the tree.  You will gain nothing but slower tip-in from the 180 rear.  It won't fit through.  A 170 *might* fit, but I don't know and it will still slow your tip-in down.

JM

Slide Panda:
Quote from: QueenBee on April 06, 2009, 10:03:22 AM

so, you are saying that i should get the  120/70/17 s  instead of the ones from stock?120/60/17.
This will increase my stability...this is what i understood from what you told me .

I noticed I made a typo at the end of the front tire note - I meant I'd stick with 120/60.  More stability also means more effort to tip in.  Like JM said, 120/70 will work, but there's no real reason to.  Also 120/70 will weigh more than a 120/60 - as before more weight is not what you want. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page