Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 03:16:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Under seat tray alternatives. 2005 S2R to mount Regulator and Ignition coil.  (Read 8657 times)
Ducatiloo

« on: April 29, 2009, 08:50:14 AM »

I put in a 749 rear shock last night and had to remove the crankcase vent tank.
I need a place to put my Regulator, and top Ignition coil.  I was thinking about just replacing the the entire plastic tray with aluminum piece that would allow me to just drill holes and mount the parts.  I worry that I have to deal with vibrations if I do that.

The other option is to  just get something like this  But that doesn't help me with the Ignition coil placement.

Any help would be appreciated
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 10:40:18 AM by Ducatiloo » Logged

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
DirtyDuc
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 10:25:21 AM »

I don't know the answer.  But, the aluminum sounds like a good idea.  You could even use rubber washers for dampening so vibing isn't severe.  Just a thought. 
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 10:35:05 AM »

You can just use a harder plastic.  Duck Stew can tell you exactly what type it is. 

Here's what it looks like from underneath: 

This is the same type of plastic:

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
Ducatiloo

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 10:41:25 AM »

I can't believe that I didn't think of using plastic.  Nice idea.

corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 10:52:04 AM »

I posted this up a while back in the tutorials section when i removed my crank breather box/hoses/crap:

Well, I took care of my crank breather kit last night.
I have an 02+ monster, so of course I had to create something to mount my rectifier/regulator to under the seat.
I didn't want the elements (other than more air) to be able to get to it, so i created a small blockoff plate/mounting bracket using a spare piece of steel and a dremel tool. With the breather box out of the way, the rectifier gets a lot more air, so I felt it would be fine to protect to the bottom of it from road debris, water, and other nasties.

Here is a link to an JPEG of my bracket on Flickr, download the LARGE size, and print it horizontally on an 8.5x11 Sheet. DO NOT SCALE IT.
Bracket on Flickr

Here's a preview  waytogo

If anyone would like it in a scalable vector / PDF format, just let me know.
Again, obviously, please don't sell this bracket to people for a profit. It's free, public knowledge meant to help our tech forum be more useful.

Obviously, plastic would work fine here too...
I used a piece of a metal bookshelf end I had laying around, and a dremel. It worked perfect.

PM me if you want it in PDF format.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 10:59:09 AM by corey » Logged

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 11:02:33 AM »

You can just use a harder plastic.  Duck Stew can tell you exactly what type it is. 

I need somebody to do this to my bike SO bad.

corey

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 11:26:15 AM »

^^+1
Jealousy is rearing it's ugly head...
ALthough i have another interesting dillema.. The mount for my right Zard can is up in there now too...

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
CairnsDuc
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 11:51:06 AM »

I wouldn't be to worried about the regulators getting wet, they are very well sealed, where the wires enter the case has a rubber seal and then they are epoxied to the main board, sealing them up even more, If you check out a number of bikes like Triumph, some Honda's, Harleys, Etc they mount the Regulators right at the bottom front of the frame so they get maximum cooling and in that location they get road debris, tyre spray.

The biggest enemy of the Regulators is Heat, Electronics and heat do not work well together, I put the TPO parts regulator Kit on my Monster, and it now runs so much cooler.
Yes, it gets wet when I ride to work and it's raining, just means it's runs cooler again, Bonus!  waytogo

Cooler running regulator, means longer lived regulator.
corey

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 12:39:05 PM »

what REALLY sucks is when your regulator is mounted right next to your new aftermarket exhaust pipe that crosses under the seat.
still trying to figure this one out...
might put a small heat shield/mat between the regulator and the bracket i made for it, to help insulate i guess...
it's getting hot down there :/

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 12:50:58 PM »

ceramic coat that exhaust, and problem nearly solved.

Juan

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 01:33:05 PM »

I did not put a tray on mine. Just re-installed the regulator
straight into the frame.. But than again you are also in need of
placing the ignition coil ..  Good luck.

Spidey's, way is the cleanest safest and nicer I’ve seen so far.

RB

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 06:36:56 AM »

mines...complete with thread about this very subject:

Ducatiloo

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 07:35:40 AM »

RB that is sexy!  Going to Home Depot at lunch to get a metal plate.  What guage of metal did you use?

RB

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 07:51:02 AM »

RB that is sexy!  Going to Home Depot at lunch to get a metal plate.  What guage of metal did you use?
Thank you for the kind words....but...I totally stole this idea from Spidey's bike.
the gauge is....uh....a found Detour road sign. I like the idea of using aluminum for this plate as to act as an additional heat sink for the regulator. Truth is the aluminum is a little shy of 1/8"....probably over kill. I cut a hole in it to fit the rear coil as well, but it is difficult to see in the pics.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:09:33 AM by RB » Logged

Ducatiloo

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 08:02:32 AM »

Has anyone used the TPO part?  Dost it leave a gap between the metal and the seat?  Would it stick out two far and hit the 749/999 rear shock?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: