Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 12:41:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chop and Core Low Mount Stock Exhaust  (Read 35986 times)
caffeinejunkee

'07 M695--sold; red '96 900SS CR; '04 Busa--sold

« on: May 17, 2008, 06:42:01 AM »

I posted this in another thread and thought that it may be helpful to start a separate thread on chopping and coring stocker cans. I chopped and cored stockers (620 cans) to put on my 695. This should work for all stock low-mount cans. Here are my instructions. Feel free to add your experience with this.

Remove the cans and the mounting bracket screws. Then slide the sleeve down with some force as they are tight. Because of the pipe
angle where it connects to the header, you can't take off the sleeve. That is the really bad part about it because you have to work with the sleeve only part-way slipped down.

You will notice that there are welds holding the cap in place. The welds were the most difficult part for me on this project. I worked the welds before cutting off the end (I chopped 3" off the can) so I had something to hold. After cutting the welds as deep as I could with a Dremel, I took a flat screwdirver and started gently prying all around. As I worked the caps this way, I was able to Dremel deeper. When I thought I had cut as far as I could with the Dremel, I used a hammer and the flat screwdriver to knock off the cap the rest of the way. I was careful not to bend the cap too much.

After removing the cap--note where welds were cut:

As far as cutting the sleeve, I chopped mine about 3". So, after I got the cap off, I put the sleeve back in place and bolted the hanger back on as a keeper. I then used a miter saw to cut through the entire can (multi-purpose blade). I suggest also clamping the can before sawing as mine moved a little even though I put some serious pressure on it while cutting. After I cut through the works, I did Dremel the outlet pipe back some into the can (about 1").

This is the can cut right near the end (not chopped). I cut mine off about three more inches after this photo was taken:

After all that, I put the cap back on, slid the sleeve back in place, and I then drilled three holes (they hit about the middle of where the cap slips over the can)--top, back, bottom. The holes were big enough for the rivets I used. After drilling, I riveted it together. So, the rivets went through the sleeve, cap, and can, The sleeve circumference does not allow you to rivet the cap under the sleeve; they will not go
back into place.

Finished can:

On bike after paint:

Video of cans chopped and cored:

militar3rd
Ce Sharp

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 08:57:32 AM »

NICE TUTORIAL!!!

I'm planning to do this to my 01 M900.

How similar is the OEM exhaust of your 620 to my M900?
Mine is Low Mount as well.

2006 Kawasaki ZZR 600 (Track&Commute)
2001 Monster M900 Si.e. (Current)
1998 Honda Superhawk VTR 1000 (Sold)
1993 Honda CBR 600 F2 [101,000+ miles] (Sold)
1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550 [220,000+ km] @ Philippines (Donated to degenerate cousin)
Latinbalar

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 11:26:47 AM »

All the low mount exhuast are the same, in principal, Also the S*R cans work the same way but the rivets are easier to hide ( I used to rivet them on the side that pointed towards the inside of the bike.  once you core the pipes like above you can shorten them to any length. I took a total of 9 inches off of mine.   Looks great IMO.

I live vicariously thru myself......
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 11:47:17 AM »

Check this mod out:

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=48968.0

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ZachDDill

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 05:33:49 AM »

What kind of paint did you use for your pipes? I used bbq paint for a flat black paint but I really like the way yours turned out.
Vishwacorp

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 09:15:32 PM »

First off, thanks caffeinejunkee for writing this tutorial. I plan on doing this soon to my M620 stockers. I do have a question though. I plan on using a friend's miter saw to chop them. He uses it to cut wood and I imagine it's not the same blade I'd use to cut the pipes. What kind of blade do I need to buy to be able to cut through the stock pipes? Thanks!
Dellikose

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 05:51:44 AM »

They sell metal cutting blades, but they can be expensive if it's only for a one time use. I just grabbed a large abrasive cutting wheel (9" is what I found) and it worked like a charm for only $9 or so.

1999 Ducati M900
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 06:38:22 AM »

If you're chopping cans, you better find a bandsaw

any kind of reciprocating blade is going to tear up the edge and possibly bend the can.  it's pretty thin metal.

bandsaw blade turns only in one direction so no chance of tearing it up.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Vishwacorp

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 02:40:57 PM »

ducatiz, that is a very good point. He has an electric rotary miter saw - that's not reciprocating, is it?

Dellikose, I just checked the prices for metal cutting blades and yupp, at those prices, I might just as well spend more and grab some cheap pipes. How was your experience with the abrasive cutting wheel since I might go that route?
Dellikose

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 05:23:03 AM »

When I think of reciprocating, I think of something like a Sawzall.

As for the wheels, they worked great...it's the same wheel used on a grinder, just bigger. The cut was pretty smooth on the outer face, and slightly rough on the inside...nothing a file couldn't take care of. Get the biggest wheel the saw can take, you may only need to make one cut.

The most important thing is to secure the can so it doesn't move while you are cutting it. Also get some good marks so your cuts line up. That is one downfall vs a bandsaw, I had to make 2-3 cuts to get all the way around and through it.

Don't forget that you're going to throw sparks...so don't cut next to your pile of oil soaked rags covering up your gas cans! Shocked

1999 Ducati M900
seanster
Wat???? Hero Member!?!?

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 07:03:29 AM »

Question:  Can I just chop/cut the muffler as is to the desired length (8") before removing the end cap?

then after I cut, I can just remove the end cap and re-attach it back to the rest of the muffler.  Seem to me the sleeve is a PITA to slide down.

Thanks!

2001 Supersport 900 Yellow!!! (she's just so much fun)
2000 Monster 750 Carb Dark!!! (Sold and still full of regrets)
caffeinejunkee

'07 M695--sold; red '96 900SS CR; '04 Busa--sold

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 06:30:58 AM »

What kind of paint did you use for your pipes? I used bbq paint for a flat black paint but I really like the way yours turned out.

Yikes, just seeing this...  Tongue

Dupli-color engine enamel (ceramic, 500-degree, gloss): I prepped by cleaning with thinner and sanding with 200. I used steel wool between 4 coats. This is the second set I painted, and both held up well.

First off, thanks caffeinejunkee for writing this tutorial. I plan on doing this soon to my M620 stockers. I do have a question though. I plan on using a friend's miter saw to chop them. He uses it to cut wood and I imagine it's not the same blade I'd use to cut the pipes. What kind of blade do I need to buy to be able to cut through the stock pipes? Thanks!

I used a miter saw with a multi-purpose blade and took it slow. As others pointed out, you probably have better choices on the type of saw you use. I suggest clamping the cans as they will move.

Don't forget that you're going to throw sparks...

Now that's half the fun!  Evil

Glad to see the thread is still useful!  chug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: