Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 20, 2024, 12:12:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster 696 : problems at start up  (Read 22084 times)
lucaspin74

« on: May 05, 2009, 09:28:20 AM »

Hy everybody..
in the last few weeks i have been experiencing quite a few problems in just having the bike on.
If the weather is cold, USUALLY i do not have any problem, pull the choke and game's over..
but if the outside temperature rises just a little...the engine may take up to 10 minutes to start.
I'm trying with and without the choke..pushing and pulling on the front suspension just to shake to bike..opening and closing the accelerator...
Bike has 1300 miles and has already been through the first service..
Any idea?
Anyone had this kind of problem so far?
(sorry for all the grammar mistakes, but I'm still learning American)
slim_grizzy

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 10:30:34 AM »

I've had the problem too.  I thought it was the coil issue causing it at first, but then it kept doing it after I got that corrected.  Basically, you have to gauge how far to go with the fast idle switch based on the temperature.  Really cold... easy full on.  75+ F... leave it off.  Anything in the 45-65 range though is tricky though like you said.  Too much or too little causes the engine to resist starting.  You have to find the exact right position for it to start in or you'll be thumbing the starter for a bit getting it to finally turn over.  Why is it that way?  I don't know but I think part of it has to do with engine temperature.  I had the issue through most of the late winter here in Houston.  Now it's getting warm enough to not need the fast idle on at all so it won't really show up if I take it in to try and replicate it at the shop. 
Dave R

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 10:56:02 AM »

Hy everybody..
in the last few weeks i have been experiencing quite a few problems in just having the bike on.
If the weather is cold, USUALLY i do not have any problem, pull the choke and game's over..
but if the outside temperature rises just a little...the engine may take up to 10 minutes to start.
I'm trying with and without the choke..pushing and pulling on the front suspension just to shake to bike..opening and closing the accelerator...
Bike has 1300 miles and has already been through the first service..
Any idea?
Anyone had this kind of problem so far?
(sorry for all the grammar mistakes, but I'm still learning American)

the correct procedure for starting a 696 is like this;

• Before you turn on the key make sure the fast idle/choke lever is completely off (normal running position)
    • Turn on key and allow gauges to sweep through their cycle (about 10 seconds)
      • Then pull on the lever as needed based on warm or cold starts.

The 696 is using Siemens FI which is different than what Ducati has used in the past so the procedure needs to be done in order to start. 

Dave R
Seattle Used Bikes
SALES - SERVICE - ACCESSORIES - PARTS
Facebook
Web
z0mb1e_DUC

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 01:24:36 PM »

FYI, & I am in no way saying this is your problem, but there is a new recall on the 696.  It's for the wiring harness.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/05/01/2009-ducati-monster-696-wiring-harness-recall/

text is below:
2009 Ducati Monster 696 Wiring Harness Recall
by Paul Crowe - "The Kneeslider" on 5/1/2009

in Motorcycle Recalls, Motorcycle Safety

Ducati has issued a recall for the 2009 Monster 696 for a problem with the main wiring harness. Please read the details below.

Manufacturer: Ducati North America
Model Year: 2009
Models affected: Monster 696
NHTSA Campaign Number: 09V142000
Potential Units Affected: 1755
Problem: Ducati is recalling 1,755 model year 2009 Monster 696 motorcycles. The main wiring harness may come in contact with the vertical cylinder head and exhaust pipe possibly resulting in damage to the motorcycle and a potential hazard to the rider. Any damage to the harness may lead to loss of functionality of the motorcycle’s lighting system or an unexpected loss of engine performance, and thereby increase the risk of a crash.

Corrective Action: Dealers will check for interference between the main wiring harness and the vertical cylinder head and exhaust pipe. Dealers will reposition and fasten the main wiring harness to the frame free of charge. The recall is expected to begin during May 2009. Owners may contact Ducati at 800-231-6696.

'09 m696 Dark
Dave R

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 02:03:19 PM »

not even the issue

FYI, & I am in no way saying this is your problem, but there is a new recall on the 696.  It's for the wiring harness.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/05/01/2009-ducati-monster-696-wiring-harness-recall/

text is below:
2009 Ducati Monster 696 Wiring Harness Recall
by Paul Crowe - "The Kneeslider" on 5/1/2009

in Motorcycle Recalls, Motorcycle Safety

Ducati has issued a recall for the 2009 Monster 696 for a problem with the main wiring harness. Please read the details below.

Manufacturer: Ducati North America
Model Year: 2009
Models affected: Monster 696
NHTSA Campaign Number: 09V142000
Potential Units Affected: 1755
Problem: Ducati is recalling 1,755 model year 2009 Monster 696 motorcycles. The main wiring harness may come in contact with the vertical cylinder head and exhaust pipe possibly resulting in damage to the motorcycle and a potential hazard to the rider. Any damage to the harness may lead to loss of functionality of the motorcycle’s lighting system or an unexpected loss of engine performance, and thereby increase the risk of a crash.

Corrective Action: Dealers will check for interference between the main wiring harness and the vertical cylinder head and exhaust pipe. Dealers will reposition and fasten the main wiring harness to the frame free of charge. The recall is expected to begin during May 2009. Owners may contact Ducati at 800-231-6696.

Dave R
Seattle Used Bikes
Facebook
Web
Porsche Monkey
JuddDdd likes my

The DMFer formerly known as Ducaholic

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 05:14:53 PM »

• Before you turn on the key make sure the fast idle/choke lever is completely off (normal running position)

The 696 is using Siemens FI which is different than what Ducati has used in the past so the procedure needs to be done in order to start. 

This is some strong advise from the owner and GM of an actual Ducati dealership. Dave given his position and contributing on a forum, in my eyes shows the character of a true enthusiast for the brand and someone that is willing to go out of his way to help others that may never spend a dime in his store. Props to you Dave.  chug

if I had a vagina...I'd never leave the house

Raux
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 09:55:44 PM »

i have to concur on the startup procedures.
i live in a colder climate (Germany) and if i do it wrong the bike will even die if i throttle it too early when cold.
the cold start procedures should be followed below an ambient temp of like 75 deg.
it just doesn't like any other way. hot blooded italian i guess.
darthmoto

.: 2009 M696 White :.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 12:14:41 AM »

Ive been having issues with my 696 as well... my bike would start and run like crap, but then after 2 mins of it, I'll shut it off, then on again, and it runs fine.

I've started my bike the same way that's been outlined above. And I still got it.

I sort of found a solution to this.

I have this weird feeling it has to do with the TPS at start up.. exactly what, I dont know.. but it seems like an electrical/initialization issue

Whats giving me this hunch is that when I start it up using about half choke, it'll idle really roughly like its about to sputter out, but then I give it a tiny(really small, or it'll die) blip on the throttle. Then the RPMs shoot up to about 2.5k and then it runs really steadily. So I back off on the choke to about 2k and let it warm up steadily for a min or so.

Strangeness..
slim_grizzy

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 05:48:01 AM »

This really doesn't resolve the issue.  The problem lies in the positioning of the lever once you do try to start it.  I always let the electronics go through their cycle before starting up and let the FI do it's pre-start magic.  However the difficulty lies in matching the lever position to the temperature which is a highly inaccurate science in my garage lab.  Whenever it has trouble starting, after it's running it has a problem with dying when I reach the first stop sign.  After that it runs fine.  My guess is that the temp sensor may be faulty that matches air temp to fuel mixture on the FI upon startup.  Of course I'm not a mechanic, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.  Grin
lucaspin74

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 06:42:19 AM »

Thanks to everybody...
now i know that i'm not alone... Grin
...and that i'm sharing the same problem with somebody... :- Cry
i'll keep struggling until Ducati cames up with a solution... bang head

Dave R

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 11:19:05 AM »

Thanks to everybody...
now i know that i'm not alone... Grin
...and that i'm sharing the same problem with somebody... :- Cry
i'll keep struggling until Ducati cames up with a solution... bang head

Ducati has come up with a solution and I outlined it above.  please try it this way and let us know if it starts better.   If the bike is not warmed up at all there is no need to guess where to set the lever, just open it full once you have cycled the ignition on and start your bike, I would only recommend to back down the lever slightly if it is revving high like over 4K during initial start up..   

Dave R
Seattle Used Bikes
Facebook
Web
Raux
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 12:22:45 PM »

here is the other thing. in my experience the bike is not ready to roll until it idles at 1200 rpm WITHOUT the fast idle on.
R2

M696

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 04:44:24 PM »

I always start it with the fast idle lever if it's been sitting for an hour or more. When I first got the bike last year, if it was warm outside I would start it without the fast idle lever. It worked fine for the most part, but there were a few times when it died out within a few seconds. It would usually take 3 or 4 attempts to get it started after that. It happened once again, but I couldn't get it started at all. I tried with the fast idle on all the way, without it, and with varying amounts.  After many, many attempts to get it started I walked away fearing that I would drain the battery. I came back about one hour later and tried with the fast idle up all the way and it started right up. I've been doing it that way since then, with no problems.

I turn the key on, adjust the fast idle to all the way up, start it the bike, then drop it down to 2000 rpm for a minute or two, then drop it down to about 1200 rpm. Sometimes, at this point it will drop down on its own and die, but I just restart it and its fine. I leave it here until there are two bars on the oil temp.  I used to let is warm up the entire time at 2k until i noticed the pipe glowing red and I assume that probably isn't a good thing.
R2

M696

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 04:48:46 PM »

in my experience the bike is not ready to roll until it idles at 1200 rpm WITHOUT the fast idle on.
+1. If mine isn't at 1200 rpm without the fast idle on it will die at the first stop sign, like slim_grizzly said his does.
Bejus

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 12:24:11 AM »

Dave, that works for me. Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: