Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 03:57:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best shop/service manual?  (Read 9479 times)
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« on: May 17, 2008, 12:57:02 PM »

I am going to perform the 12k service on my '01 m900 myself.  I would like the your advice on the most informative, specific, and friendly manual.  I downloaded a free manual online that is 270 pages long and in multiple languages.  It has a few diagrams and is helpful, but I wanted to know if there is a more detailed shop manual available from that would offer better/color pics and diagrams.  Right now, I am mainly interested in the torque settings for my bike as I will need to check every accessible bolt/nut on the bike.  Unfortunately, the manual I downloaded only listed the descriptions of the bolts in Italian.

M-ROCin' it!!!
Mr Earl

2003 M800 Dark

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 04:50:44 AM »

I don't know that it's the best manual, but I've been using LT Snyder's manual available here:  http://www.desmotimes.com/.  It covers lots of different models, but always seems to have what I need.

Leo Vince CF slip-ons, '01 SS900 fully adjustable Showa forks w/ST2 springs, rebuilt S4 shock w/Ohlins spring, 748 dog bone, Swatt clip-ons above the triple, Sargent seat, Duplicolor-Dark seat cowl, Rizoma grips, Techlusion TFI, SBK front fender, Evoluzione slave, BMC sport air filter, 14-tooth sprocket, Desmotimes caseguard, S2R side panels, Pantah belt covers, fake CRG LS mirrors, extra black zip-ties, right grip control imprint on tank, de-cannistered, Ducati Meccanica Bologna key ring
scott_araujo

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 07:59:21 AM »

I have LT's manual and really like it.  I also downloaded the online manual.  The online manual is good for procedures and specs but not so great on troubleshooting.  LT's is much better and also has info on common mods.  You can ask him questions on his site if you need to and buy parts and tools there too.

I've read through the Haynes manual and it is also good. 

Both of these manuals are fairly inexpensive so you should pick up at least one.  Yhey may even be at your local library if you want to check them out.

Scott
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 03:57:17 PM »

The Haynes manual is also very good, lots of pictures, tips and tricks, plenty of detail but still easy to follow.

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 05:44:54 AM »

duc.nl seens to have changed ownership...
http://www.datamanuals.net/ducati_monster900.htm
FortyTwo

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 06:53:56 AM »

I have to recommend multiple sources... I have the Ducati Shop Manual, the Haynes guide,and the DesmoTimes book.  They're all written using different "language" and seem to actually cover different things a bit.  I like the variation both for learning the specific maintenance and gaining more overall knowledge of the mechanics...

Any others I should pick up?
DarkStaR

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 09:52:11 AM »

I have to recommend multiple sources... I have the Ducati Shop Manual, the Haynes guide,and the DesmoTimes book.  They're all written using different "language" and seem to actually cover different things a bit.  I like the variation both for learning the specific maintenance and gaining more overall knowledge of the mechanics...

Any others I should pick up?

As the LT Snyder book is a general guide to a specific range of bikes, it has some good information, but is missing others.  Undecided

If you are new to wrenching, this book will be a good start.  waytogo

If you've been wrenching for more than a good part of you life, this book may be lacking.  Undecided

I've found some errors in the addition I have (2nd), so I generally only use it as more of a guide now.

The main error I've found was with specific torque specs.

If you do use the LT Snyder book, and some torque spec doesn't seem right, cross reference it.

No ones perfect, and he admits that.  He also asks that if there are any errors in the book, to let him know, and it will be fixed in later editions.

dlearl476

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 07:47:16 AM »

Unfortunately, the manual I downloaded only listed the descriptions of the bolts in Italian.

My 2ยข:  Learn a little Italian.  I have 4 Italian bikes and 1 Italian car and I've found that knowing a bit of moto related Italian, little stuff like right left up down tighten loosen front rear fuel brake carburetor, etc, helps enourmously.

I prefer the factory manual myself.  It assumed a bit of moto experience, but having that I find it's all I need.
Spike

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 08:11:35 AM »

I have the Ducati shop manual, LT Snyder's and a Haynes. I have been working on my own bikes for over 30 years so with my experience, the books and Chris from CA Cycleworks videos, I's got it covered. Good luck. waytogo
femme620

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 11:46:07 AM »

i'm looking for a manual myself for my '06 620..... i was eyeing Haynes.... and i found a 91-05, that's fine for an '06, yeah?

in any color you want..... as long as it's dark....
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 07:04:17 PM »

I bought the same Haynes.  Should have 99% of the info pertaining to your bike.  I like it alot, you will not be disappointed.

M-ROCin' it!!!
femme620

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 03:49:35 AM »

I bought the same Haynes.  Should have 99% of the info pertaining to your bike.  I like it alot, you will not be disappointed.

Great, thanks.... for the rest of you... i also found a tasty bit on ebay.ie for what is supposedly workshop manuals on cd. i ordered the 620 & an 848 for the other half, both were about $16 ea. i'll let you know when i get them if they're the real deal. here's a link to the shop:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Bike-Manuals

in any color you want..... as long as it's dark....
ducatigirl100
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 08:01:20 PM »

Haynes  applause waytogo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: