Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 09:00:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Saturday Project....Opinions please!  (Read 10916 times)
hooligan machinist

"Slightly" modified 97M750

« on: May 17, 2008, 02:09:00 PM »

Two weeks ago my oil sending unit went bad. So i installed a mechanical oil pressure guage. I was in a bit of a hurry so as a "quick fix" i zip tied it to the oil cooler line. 

Since then i've been trying to find a permanent home for it. So today i started making a billet housing to mount it in.

This is what i have in mind.

I'll paint it black when it's finished. That will help it blend into the stock cluster somewhat. And i'm going to run the oil line and wiring through a grommet on the underside.
  I'm thinking it looks a little bulky but reserving final judgement for now.
Tell me what you think.
   Howard

cell # (931)-316-2020
jagstang

Ramming speed...

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 02:38:02 PM »

It's not enormous, so go for it!  Also, leave it billet IMO.

'09 1100
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 03:01:22 PM »

I say leave it down where it was - looks Italian, just kind of placed wherever they had an extra hole. A "to hell with the ergonomics as long as it works (maybe) AND looks fine" attitude that has been the Italian design trademark. On top of the cluster looks overcautious IMO.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Sgt_H

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 03:58:23 PM »

I wouldn't say I have a great eye for these sorts of things, but, IMO I like where it is.  Looks more hooliganish.  Maybe mount it a little more securely, but if it's not in the way... Why not leave it?

Sgt_H
Banned
roy-nexus-6

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 05:56:27 PM »

I'm liking it where it was originally - very road warrior!  waytogo

Nice work on the housing, though.

Flipside725

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 06:28:25 PM »

+1 on the original location...it looks alittle clustered up by the main instruments.

i think it looks freakin sweet down in the original location also.

waytogo on the billet though

"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"

Y O L O
You Only Live Once
c_rex

Quick! Into the transmogrifier!

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 08:05:36 PM »

mount it on the right side of the gauge cluster.  it's too high up coming right off the top of the cluster.  The "original" location (though very unique) makes it too vulnerable to a simple knock over and is not entirely intuitive to look at; you may not notice until it's too late.  when you look at the bike from the side it shouldn't scream, "hey look, I've got this gauge that nobody else thought of!"  just my $.014 of course- I think it's a brilliant idea though.

"It ain't cool being no jive turkey this close to Thanksgiving."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGkHHsoKRP8&eurl=http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/
hooligan machinist

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 08:14:04 PM »

I really like where it is now.
There are two reasons i want to move it.
1, The oil light coming on all the time got me paranoid, whitch leads to.
2, I can't see the guage at all while rideing unless i lean to the right and look down.
  Not a good thing to be doing in traffic. At least up top i would be able to see it at a glance.
Also there's the line and wiring to hide along with the underside of the guage being exposed.

mount it on the right side of the gauge cluster.  it's too high up coming right off the top of the cluster.  The "original" location (though very unique) makes it too vulnerable to a simple knock over and is not entirely intuitive to look at; you may not notice until it's too late.  when you look at the bike from the side it shouldn't scream, "hey look, I've got this gauge that nobody else thought of!"  just my $.014 of course- I think it's a brilliant idea though.

I'll look at that tomorrow, might just be the ticket. waytogo

cell # (931)-316-2020
rgramjet
It would have been Fine if it wasnt for my Meddling

What'd you say about my Momma?

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 08:15:14 PM »

I dont care where you put it, Im just envious of your mad billet machining skillz!!!

You're obviously a crack smokin' redneck carpenter. Kiss

in 1st and 2nd it was like this; ringy-ting-ting-ting slow boring ho-hum .......oh!........OMG! What the fu.........HOLY SHIT !!--ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
-Sofadriver

What has been smelled, cannot be unsmelled!
MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 08:21:11 PM »

Given you have a mill/lathe -- why make an "add on" to the stock cluster? (which in my opinion is dead ugly)

Toss the idiot lights and go to small LED's instead.  Machine a new aluminum housing with the speedo on left and the oil pressure on the right.  If you get adventurous, you can make the left/right match and then add a LED tach via LED's around the ouside of the oil pressure gauge itself. (Bill / TurboMonster.com did one for his boost gauge like this) 

hooligan machinist

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 08:30:39 PM »

I dont care where you put it, Im just envious of your mad billet machining skillz!!!

Look at the second pic from the top of my original post. See the brass adapter that screws into the engine case? I made that too. Grin Literally took 15 minutes start to finish.

Given you have a mill/lathe -- why make an "add on" to the stock cluster? (which in my opinion is dead ugly)

Toss the idiot lights and go to small LED's instead.  Machine a new aluminum housing with the speedo on left and the oil pressure on the right.  If you get adventurous, you can make the left/right match and then add a LED tach via LED's around the ouside of the oil pressure gauge itself. (Bill / TurboMonster.com did one for his boost gauge like this) 

I wanted to cut my down time as much as possible, the add on was quick and simple.
I like your idea though and will more than likely go that route sometime in the future.

cell # (931)-316-2020
duc996

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 08:42:49 PM »

Billet works for me,i do like the original place for it though.IMO

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
teddy037.2
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 09:17:15 PM »

one piece handlebar clamp w/a pocket for the gauge.  waytogo
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 03:36:42 AM »

Maybe it is just me, but an oil pressure gauge needs to be where it is in your view normal scan while riding unless supplemented with a warning light.  Great machine work, Howard!
rockaduc

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 04:33:58 AM »

Keep it Billet, put it where YOU want it and where it will serve you the best.  Nice work! waytogo

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: