Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 02:27:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S2R 800 clutch damage  (Read 33002 times)
mikeb
« on: May 27, 2009, 12:40:30 PM »

Posting for a friend.

Long story short.....something backed out of the clutch/basket and got hung up in the case.  Locked the transmission.  Luckily he was at a stop light when it locked up.

Fixable....or need new case? 

Bike is 2005 S2R 800.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:45:10 PM by mikeb » Logged
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 02:00:05 PM »

Any other damage?

What happened with the hub?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
mikeb
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 04:12:59 AM »

Not sure on the other damage.  Haven't seen it yet.  He said springs are bent and there is some clutch related damage.  The case is the biggest issue though.  Dealer gave him an estimate of $8k to fix.  Which is crazy considering how much the bike cost brand new.
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 05:15:29 AM »

$8k to fix is absolutely absurd, i don't care what it is. that's less than i paid for my complete bike...
what could possibly need replaced? At absolute worst it's an entire new gearbox and clutch assembly... $8k? no way.
Cheap? No way.. but not $8k...

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
Dave328

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 09:40:57 AM »

This is my bike. Thanks to Mikeb for posting. The clutch basket is pretty much toast, I'll post pics of it this evening. Main cause was the main nut backing off. Not sure how the clutch basket springs broke, but oh well. After talking with some people, I believe that it can be repaired. And that's exactly what I'm going to do. Worst case scenario, I need to replace the engine, which is what it needs right now.
Not entirely thrilled to have this type of failure on a 2006 bike with 3400 miles (yes, 34 hundred) and the response I got from Ducati, but that is another thread. bang head I'm just thankful it let go when it did. I was 60 seconds from zipping along the interstate at 70! Shocked Priority is trying the repair and getting her running, before a terminal case of Lackus Ofus Ridingus Ducatiitis sets in!

Dave
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:44:48 AM by Dave328 » Logged
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 10:13:37 AM »

There are S2R800 engines available periodically, and I've also seen S2R1K engines for sale as well on eBay, there are parts bikes out there so good luck I hope you get her fixed and also hope that it doesn't happen to me on my '06 S2R800 with ~6k. Probably a freak occurrence but tragic to say the least.
check this out
http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=20740.0

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 11:04:47 AM »

That pic is too much of a zoom.  Is the damage to the case cover?  If so, they can be picked up on eBay for under $100.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 12:03:19 PM »

What on earth could cause this?
Wet clutch bike with 3400 miles... nothing in that area has probably ever been touched since that bike left the factory.
I call manufacturer defect/quality control issue on this one.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
Dave328

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 03:25:52 PM »

Here is a wider shot:

And the back of the clutch basket, all but one of the springs are broken/missing:

And one final kick to the smalls , a little gift from the dealership when I picker her up:

So here she sits, buried in garage crap and boxed in my the lawnmower  :'(:

I'm going to try the repair this weekend. I just wish I could find an aftermarket supplier of a clutch basket. It sickens me to think DNA will get one more penny from me, even if it's for necessary parts. Angry

What on earth could cause this?
Wet clutch bike with 3400 miles... nothing in that area has probably ever been touched since that bike left the factory.
I call manufacturer defect/quality control issue on this one.

That's exactly what I told the head Tech Cust Service Mgr of DNA. He said the clutch nuts loosening up is NOT happening as widespread as I have been told. Roll Eyes Then he said, "sorry, you're out of warranty. Doesn't matter if there are only 3400 miles.Have a nice day" Angry bang head And for the record, and Mikeb can attest, these 3400 miles have been very very easy miles. (I ride like an old man! Grin I'll even post my chicken strips to prove it!  Grin)
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 04:08:51 PM »

I've heard of clutch basket spring failures on S2R800's, dunno how prevalent they are.

Check out our Marketplace, Parts for sale, you may find some help there.

I'd be worried about scrap inside the pocket of the trans bearing area, where it's cracked.

That shifter detent arm doesn't look so hot, but as long as it still pivots, and the spring isn't injured, it should be OK.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
EEL

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 04:28:14 PM »

8k is probably the cost for a new motor, lazy bastards probably dont want to open er up to fix it.
Dave328

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 05:59:56 PM »

8k is probably the cost for a new motor, lazy bastards probably dont want to open er up to fix it.
No, $8K was parts/labor to tear down, replace both crankcase halves and replace every thing in the clutch housing.  Shocked
EEL

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 06:21:05 PM »

good lord...
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 08:27:23 PM »

No, $8K was parts/labor to tear down, replace both crankcase halves and replace every thing in the clutch housing.  Shocked

I just looked up on Ducati Omaha, OEM cases for an '04 800 engine are  ~$4k.
OEM clutch basket (which has the primary gears with it, matched gearset) is ~$750.
Plus other parts, plus sales tax....$5.5k-6k in parts *easy*.

Second-hand complete engine is a way cheaper way to go.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

pintsizejesus
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 08:35:16 PM »

Here is a wider shot:

And the back of the clutch basket, all but one of the springs are broken/missing:

And one final kick to the smalls , a little gift from the dealership when I picker her up:

So here she sits, buried in garage crap and boxed in my the lawnmower  :'(:

I'm going to try the repair this weekend. I just wish I could find an aftermarket supplier of a clutch basket. It sickens me to think DNA will get one more penny from me, even if it's for necessary parts. Angry

That's exactly what I told the head Tech Cust Service Mgr of DNA. He said the clutch nuts loosening up is NOT happening as widespread as I have been told. Roll Eyes Then he said, "sorry, you're out of warranty. Doesn't matter if there are only 3400 miles.Have a nice day" Angry bang head And for the record, and Mikeb can attest, these 3400 miles have been very very easy miles. (I ride like an old man! Grin I'll even post my chicken strips to prove it!  Grin)

Also boxed in with your Ferrari, I'm having trouble finding sympathy.  Kidding, I also have an s2r800 so I don't want a problem like this.  I would keep on DNA to get it fixed and keep an eye out on ebay for motors etc.  Let us know how it goes.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 08:40:34 PM by pintsizejesus » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: