Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 06:43:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you do with old parts?  (Read 5224 times)
erkishhorde

« on: August 04, 2009, 08:13:56 AM »

Not sure where to put this... I've got a worn out rear brake rotor and I'm not sure whether to throw it away or not. It's totally worn out, no ifs or buts about it but I just don't want to chuck it. Hell, I've got broken throttle cables still sitting around. Things like brake pads get chucked though. What do you toss and what do you keep in terms of broken or worn out bits? I've got a few brake/ clutch levers that have been broken in half that I keep too in case I happen to break one worse and need a temp.  Tongue

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
mstevens
Monsterless

No Monster of my own, but my wife has an '09 696

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 10:12:07 AM »

What on earth could you use a worn-out brake rotor or broken cables and levers for?!

If you're an artist who welds masterpieces out of found objects, that's one thing. Otherwise you're just a hoarder.

2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring (Rosso Anniversary Ducati)
2009 Ducati Monster 696 (Giallo Ducati) - Sold
2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Rosso Anniversary Ducati) - Sold
2005 Vespa LX-150 (Rosso Dragone) - First Bike Ever

Casa Suzana, vacation rental house in Cozumel, Mexico
erkishhorde

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 11:09:36 AM »

What on earth could you use a worn-out brake rotor or broken cables and levers for?!

If you're an artist who welds masterpieces out of found objects, that's one thing. Otherwise you're just a hoarder.

I think that's exactly it. I'm a pack rat. Is there any part of the rotor worth saving? Like, the floating part vs the mounting part? Do they actually sell just the floating part that the pads touch? I was looking at CA-cycleworks and it seems the answer would be no?

Spencer

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 12:18:03 PM »

I have pieces and parts from about 10 bikes in my attic.  Every stock part that I have taken off as well as slightly damaged items that needed replaced.  One of these days I am going to build one really funny looking motocycle  laughingdp

Bones
In spanish she calls it

'02 M620 - '00 996

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 02:42:51 PM »

you can make quite the lovely wind chime with brake rotors and throttle cables. they make a beautiful jingle in the breeze..... Tongue

I'm a loner, Dottie...a rebel...
red baron

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 05:52:54 AM »

throw that shit out

Grin

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 06:04:28 AM »

Parts that are totally broken, or old parts that are easily replaced get thrown out.

Parts that are hard to find or might have small pieces that could be used to fix another broken part in the future get stored. I also can't seem to part with any of my stock parts either, and on my monster that's everything except the frame, tank, cowl, and lower triple clamp as well as parts of the electrical harness I have lying around now.

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 06:38:27 AM »

Blow up a nice picture of your bike, cut it to fit and use it as a photo frame (though a front rotor would be cooler-looking). Cut a round circle of mirror to fit, use the rotor as a frame & hang that on the wall. Use it as a trivet in your kitchen. Hang it on the wall in your office (with or without the photo inside) and make up stories for gullible officemates.

Or move out of your HOA neighborhood and start building outrageous yard art. Seriously. One of my neighbors has an ancient Harley Sprint in his front yard that's had a tree growing gracefully through it for decades and I'm nearly insane with jealousy...

Oh, and that old clutch cover? it makes a great parts bowl for small bits you don't want to lose while working on the bike -- that's what I use mine for.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 07:26:31 PM by triangleforge » Logged

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
corndog67
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 07:58:50 PM »

I've got the same problem with old junk.  In my toolbox there is an old Amal carburettor off some old Triumph that is cracked, the top is warped, the screws are stripped, but somehow I can't get rid of it.   I've got old KTM pistons, not worth a damn, and I don't smoke, so they won't even get used as ashtrays.   Broken cables.  Somewhere is a set of bored out Kawasaki Z-1 carburetors, that I have absolutely no use for, but I'll be damned if I'm going to throw them away.  Old brake shoes.  Little hunks of aluminum, stainless, steel alloys, just piles of junk that is worth something to somebody, just i don't know them. 
dlearl476

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 09:44:04 PM »

throw that shit out

Grin
laughingdp

Easier said than done for us habitual hoarders.  I'll admit. I'm one, but brake rotors...

Seriously, old used stuff like that I throw in a box (brake rotors, chains, sprockets, etc.)  When the box is full, I take it to a recycler.  Good steel is about $1/lb and I generally get $20-30 for it.

(To be fair, I DO have a NOS Moto Guzzi rotor that I'll more than likely never use sitting in my garage.)

erkishhorde

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 09:51:15 PM »

laughingdp

Easier said than done for us habitual hoarders.  I'll admit. I'm one, but brake rotors...

Seriously, old used stuff like that I throw in a box (brake rotors, chains, sprockets, etc.)  When the box is full, I take it to a recycler.  Good steel is about $1/lb and I generally get $20-30 for it.

(To be fair, I DO have a NOS Moto Guzzi rotor that I'll more than likely never use sitting in my garage.)

That's a good idea. Never thought of recycling it.

JimE

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 09:59:46 PM »

I take it to the local shooting range if it's been trouble  Grin

1993 M900
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 09:35:06 AM »

What's next?  Running old oil filters throught the dishwasher 2 or 3 times?   Grin

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

Demoni

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 06:25:31 PM »

I always hang onto good scrap metal because you never know when you will need a bracket.

That being said... junk is junk

...Unless you turn that rotor into a cool wall clock

99' Ducati 900SS (yet it's not a monster...yet)
corndog67
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 08:52:25 AM »

I did see a set pf old 426 Hemi valve covers (you know, the real Hemis, not the new slow hemis), turned into saddlebag lids.   Nobody at the shop seems to want to get rid of any of theirs though, I guess I could buy a set of the fabricated up new ones, but that is way, way, way too much money. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: