Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 02:43:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Cooler (a different approach)  (Read 18878 times)
pennyrobber

« on: August 19, 2009, 10:15:20 AM »

I always wanted to swap out the stock S2R oil cooler for something a little less square looking. I never quite felt the stock bit fit the bike. I acquired a donor S4R oil cooler from Pompetta as the stock S4R bit had the look I was after. After some head scratching and some parts hunting, the project came together. The cooling is at least as good as the stock bit and the shape fits the lines I am going for a bit better.

Men face reality and women don't. That's why men need to drink. -George Christopher
Ducatl

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 11:37:10 AM »

neato, nice work there Wink

off hand, does anybody know what size the fittings are for the oil coolers? do all modern ducati coolers have the same size fittings?
NAKID

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 11:39:14 AM »

I'm glad you found something that works for you. I personally don't like it. I don't know if it's the mounting brackets in front of the cooler or what. I would have gone with the HMT or MTS oil line to open up the right side of the bike....

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
pennyrobber

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 12:58:38 PM »

I'm glad you found something that works for you. I personally don't like it. I don't know if it's the mounting brackets in front of the cooler or what. I would have gone with the HMT or MTS oil line to open up the right side of the bike....

The mounting was an issue. I weighed the options of trying to place the mounts behind the cooler but because of the curvature, it made it too close to the wheel. I have also been thinking of a way to hang it from above by mounting to the frame somehow but I need to do a little more work to really figure it out. I am running with this for now.

Men face reality and women don't. That's why men need to drink. -George Christopher
Triple J
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 01:45:43 PM »

HMT lines only...MTS ones are really long since the MTS oil cooer is located under the headlight in front of the triples. The angle the lines enter the MTS cooler is also weird compared to most other naked Ducs. I had to install a HMT oil cooler and lines on my Monstrada to get a good look due to the long lines and weird angle.

The mounting was an issue. I weighed the options of trying to place the mounts behind the cooler but because of the curvature, it made it too close to the wheel. I have also been thinking of a way to hang it from above by mounting to the frame somehow but I need to do a little more work to really figure it out. I am running with this for now.

Could you make, or have made, custom mount brackets which go behind the cooler...but leave it in the same place it is now? I really like the look of the curved oil cooler, but the brackets seem a bit out of place.
NAKID

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 02:07:22 PM »

I actually prefer the look of the cooler on the Testa motors. Now if you could just mount it in that location but upside down, it would look cool...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
knightrider

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 04:31:02 PM »

couldnt u have mounted it upside down?

1994 M900
truckinduc

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 04:40:57 PM »

I also took a slightly different approach. But I used the stock cooler and it didnt cost me a dime.  I also like it cause there is no more oil line running infront of the cam belt.

I like your setup, but I would have done it slightly different. All in all I think it looks good. And I much prefer the curved cooler. I need to start looking for one for my rebuild.

Anyone got an extra?
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 05:35:07 PM »

i like the look but i also wonder if you could mount it upside down.

you might need to get new hoses since it will be closer.

but it definitely looks better.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
pennyrobber

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 07:00:39 PM »

The problem with mounting it upside down is that a significant amount of air will  be trapped inside of the cooler. With the feed and return line at the bottom, there would be no easy way to avoid the air trapped inside.

DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 02:09:45 AM »

The problem with mounting it upside down is that a significant amount of air will  be trapped inside of the cooler. With the feed and return line at the bottom, there would be no easy way to avoid the air trapped inside.

Is it possible to run the motor for a short time with the oil cooler unmounted and oriented so as to let the engine push the air out?

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 03:52:24 AM »

Is it possible to run the motor for a short time with the oil cooler unmounted and oriented so as to let the engine push the air out?
I'd think the condition would repeat when you shut the motor down and the cooler drained.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 04:52:00 AM »

Can't you just hang it in the same location, in the same orientation, but from the frame?

It doesn't have to be mounted to the horizontal head. And you can lose the mounts that would be unused by acquiring another valve cover.

I like the idea. And I like the mention of the Testa oil cooler. A lot. But the mounts kill it in theory, for me.

Ducatl

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 08:48:29 AM »

alternatively you can just have someone competent weld new tabs on the other side so  you can mount it to the head?
Monster Dave

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 09:07:38 AM »

I actually prefer the look of the cooler on the Testa motors.

I actually prefer the look without one.  cheeky

Nice work Charles.  waytogo
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: