Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 16, 2024, 03:58:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what is that black box??  (Read 4107 times)
hitman87

« on: August 22, 2009, 09:43:22 AM »

what is that black box on some of the 07 and newer s4r's that sits on the lower radiator hose??? its not on all the bikes but i have seen it on a few... anybody know??

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the the unreasonable man.
fastwin
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 09:49:51 AM »

It's the flight recorder. In case of accident the FAA will analyze it to see if it was rider error or not.

Oh come on! You know you were thinking the same thing you just didn't have the nerve to look stupid by posting it! laughingdp See, I don't have that problem! Grin

I seriously have no idea what it is. Don't have a S4RS but I am sure the answer will be forthcoming. waytogo
hitman87

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 10:05:16 AM »

its not just on the s4rs.... its on some of the 07 and newer s4r.... but the flight recorder reply was kinda funny...

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the the unreasonable man.
cyrus buelton

aka JuddDDDdd

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 10:08:41 AM »

most likely what you are talking about is the charcoal canister.

It has to do with emissions.

That was the first thing I removed from both my bikes.

No Longer the most hated DMF Member.

By joining others Hate Clubs, it boosts my self-esteem.

1999 M750 (joint ownership)
2004 S4r (mineeee)
2008 KLR650 (wifey's bike, but I steal it)
hitman87

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 10:21:55 AM »

thanks cyrus

Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 11:13:30 AM »

suuuuure.... had it been a white box...it'd still be on Juds bike.

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 05:31:10 PM »

there should be a secondary hose running to your seat. it hooks to your anus... for those "oh shit" moments...
the bike runs on fear. give it fuel.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
Jester

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 08:30:29 PM »

That was the first thing I removed from both my bikes.

I really had to think back to remember that thing.  I completely forgot about that canister.... had the shop remove it right after I got it.

09’ 848     07’ S2R800
mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 06:14:37 AM »

Here is a thread with a tutorial for older Monsters, but most still applies

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=3446.0

mitt

NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 06:32:44 AM »

Yep, emissions canister, for the gas tank specifically.  When the gas gets hot some of it evaporates, since the tank must be vented to allow air into the tank as the gas level falls during use, the evaporated hydrocarbons come out the vent.  The Enviro-Greenies don't like hydrocarbons floating around in the air, so the vent is routed through the charcoal canister.  The charcoal absorbs the hydrocarbons while allowing air to flow in and out of the tank.

I've always wondered: at some point the charcoal in the canister becomes saturated and the canister needs replacement, so, how many moto makers actually stock and sell replacement canisters?  I know they must have some stock, but who really has a NEED to replace a canister that most everyone tosses in the garbage?  At what levels to manufactuers stock/ship replacements?

I await the day some government environmental agency scrutinizes the records of moto makers to see if this is being done.  Sounds crazy I know.  However, a few years ago I did see one of those flashing road signs on La Cienega in LA announcing, "Modified Exhaust Check Point Ahead", and I thought THAT was crazy too.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

Raux
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 08:47:24 AM »

that's where the other tubes come into play. the intake plenums suck the gas vapors out of the canister.
RetroSBK

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 01:33:30 PM »

Jesus, NOOOOO Dont take that off!!!

It hold the flux capacitor! 88 mph!!!

Ok, kidding.. its the charcoal canister... Remove the lines all the way to the bottom of the tank and leave it open to air.

Will

Will Kenefick's Retro Superbike. Bringing you the sickest Sh*t since '94
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 02:39:25 PM »

Seriously though, do NOT take off that canister.  It's the only thing keeping the plastic tank from swelling.   cheeky

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

Raux
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 09:13:12 PM »

Seriously though, do NOT take off that canister.  It's the only thing keeping the plastic tank from swelling.   cheeky

does that year monster also have the tubes to the intake plenums? he'll need to plug those up as well
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: