Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 06:04:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to: Alternator Cover / Left Case Removal WITHOUT a Special Tool  (Read 4718 times)
cyrus buelton

aka JuddDDDdd

« on: September 15, 2009, 05:35:45 AM »

after google search for ways to remove the alternator cover (replacing starter), I came across an obscure post on ducati.ms and a MUCH easier way to remove the alternator cover.

1. Remove Clutch Slave
2. Remove all bolts (as duckstew said, draw a little diagram to keep them straight, as they are different lenghts. I took a piece of cardboard and sketched the alignment and then inserted the bolts in their respective spot for easy re-assembly)
3. Re-install Clutch slave and its three bolts.
4. SLOWLY pull in the clutch lever.
5. BAM. Cover pops off and you can get it off with your hands. Obviously, remove the clutch slave again.

The post I read said to do it twice and no more because you could lose the piston on the slave. I did it once and it worked just fine.

Just an FYI for those that don't want to spend 25$ on a useless tool that is rarely used or take the time to make one.

No Longer the most hated DMF Member.

By joining others Hate Clubs, it boosts my self-esteem.

1999 M750 (joint ownership)
2004 S4r (mineeee)
2008 KLR650 (wifey's bike, but I steal it)
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 05:31:13 AM »

This totally works... and can even work when you don't want it to. My bike developed an oil leak due to the action of the clutch pull (dry with SS springs) over time.

One helpful comment is that once you get a small gap between the case parts, a sharp blade, like an x-acto can help coast things along

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: