Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 05:37:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how do i remove the footpegs on an s2r??  (Read 4617 times)
the ron

pseodohollageniccoumpoundcianigin

« on: May 25, 2008, 06:44:50 AM »

Has anyone taken off the footpegs of a s2r? i want to powder coat mine, but i am not shure if i have to take the big bolt that holds the swingarm off, or if there is some kind of snap ring or something. do they just come off with the small bolts that surround the peg?

also, does anyonelse notice that the allen heads are super soft, everytime i take one out, passenger pegs for example, the bolt heads want to strip out, with barely any torque. is there any aftermarket bolts that are better? or do i have to spend 15.00 every time i take off my passenger pegs?

the ron Evil [moto]

" If you were directly above him, then how did you see him?"
"...... Because i was inverted."
DarkStaR

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 07:37:43 AM »

Has anyone taken off the footpegs of a s2r? i want to powder coat mine, but i am not shure if i have to take the big bolt that holds the swingarm off, or if there is some kind of snap ring or something. do they just come off with the small bolts that surround the peg?

also, does anyonelse notice that the allen heads are super soft, everytime i take one out, passenger pegs for example, the bolt heads want to strip out, with barely any torque. is there any aftermarket bolts that are better? or do i have to spend 15.00 every time i take off my passenger pegs?

the ron Evil [moto]

The big bolt has to come off.  It's aluminum, so be careful.

As for the other bolts, with the right tools, they shouldn't be stripping on a fairly new bike.

Get some of these if you don't have them already:

the ron

pseodohollageniccoumpoundcianigin

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 12:02:32 PM »

The big bolt has to come off.  It's aluminum, so be careful.

As for the other bolts, with the right tools, they shouldn't be stripping on a fairly new bike.

Get some of these if you don't have them already:

if thats the case, maybe i will wait until the winter when i do my swingarm and forks also. what do you think? is it worth taking that thing out more than once?

the ron Evil

" If you were directly above him, then how did you see him?"
"...... Because i was inverted."
COWBOY

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 07:01:19 PM »

the footpegs come off easy.  pull the pin retainer on the right side.  slide the bolt out through the holes and spring.

reverse order to replace (getting it back through the spring is the big PITA).

the rearsets require the big bolt etc to come off.

2005 S2R -- Mods installed: DP termi full racing kit, ST4 Forks, S4R rear shock, 999 Radial Brake and Clutch MCs, 4 pot Brembo Calipers, 320mm Snowflake rotors, SBK Quick change carrier, 43T rear sproket, Tomaselli Clip Ons, Cyclecat Frame Sliders, ASV Levers, zero indicators, Supernova taillight
brimo

酒後吐真言

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 01:59:36 PM »

also, does anyonelse notice that the allen heads are super soft, everytime i take one out, passenger pegs for example, the bolt heads want to strip out, with barely any torque.

the ron Evil [moto]

Silly question but... are you using metric allen keys? The key should be a snug fit in the hole. Some imperial keys do fit metric screws but are just loose enought to strip out the head.

"The make the beast with two backsin monkey started it..."

From a story by RAT900
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=54722.msg1015917#msg1015917
patorojo

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 08:56:48 PM »

reverse order to replace (getting it back through the spring is the big PITA).

So, I am getting ready to put on some Oberons... While doing my pre-project scoping I could tell this would be the tricky party.  Any tips or tricks on pre-tensioning the spring, while getting the peg in place and sliding in the pin without scratching he heck out of everything?

Update:  This turned out to be a non-event.  First peg R&R about 5 minutes.  Second peg 2 minutes.  Compress the spring with the peg, align the holes, insert the pin.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 10:59:51 AM by patorojo » Logged

Arne Berger
2007 S2R1K
2007 DL650
2005 DRZ400S
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: