Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 18, 2024, 11:29:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Termignoni dB Killer Mods (M1100)  (Read 67866 times)
Strafer

Tennessee bugs taste best.

« on: October 18, 2009, 07:27:54 AM »

For anyone interested, my `09 M1100S was delivered new with Termi slip-ons, matching ECU, and air filter. That's all well and good but, for my particular preferences, the straight-through mufflers were slightly too loud for comfort. So, I installed the Termi dB Killers and took a ride. As I expected, the Termi noise suppressors made the exhaust system too quiet (from one extreme to the other).  Undecided

I decided to cut off the closed ends of the Termi dB Killer tubes to liberate more sound and allow more gas flow. This combination produced a nice "middle-ground" growl that was not obnoxious and could easily be throttle-modulated to modest sound levels when desired. But...it was still just a tad too quiet for me so I completely cut out the dB Killer welds that hold them together and, sure enough, they fell apart into their component parts. At this point, I was only after the dB Killer "rings" (with nuts) to use minimally as diameter reducers in the muffler outlets. I installed just the rings, took another ride, and EUREKA...they sounded jusssst right for me.  Grin

With only the rings installed, the 1100 still has a strong bark when the throttle is blipped but the sharp "crack" of straight-through mufflers is somewhat attenuated. Obviously there is nothing scientific about this mod but if your Termis' are too loud without the dB Killers and too quiet with them, one of these dB Killer mod stages might be right for you. It works for me!

Note: I did this at home using an air compressor and air grinder. It could probably be done with a Dremel tool too.  Wink

Cheers!

`09 Monster 1100S + Termi carbon cans w/ECU/filter + Gutted dB Killers + Tech Spec tank pads + Evotech fender eliminator + 14-T sprocket + Speedymoto sliders + Beltronics RX-65 radar detector
rsy

M696 Dark

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 10:23:24 PM »

Hi,

Same 'problem' with M696... or with neighbours.  Roll Eyes Any before/after or with and w/o soundclips available ?

-=Rami=-
Strafer

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 02:37:22 AM »

rsy,

Sorry, no sound clips--I've had a health/physical therapy issue for a few months and haven't done much else lately.

However, I can say with near certainty that cutting the dB Killer tube ends as shown below (Stage One of the mod) will incease exhaust sound and flow volume enough to satisfy most performance-oriented riders without attracting unwanted attention. It offers a really authoritative "bark" without being obnoxious. I'm willing to bet that the Stage One mod would not be too much bark for you, nor for you neighbors when the throttle is modulated, and...you could always make the Stage Two mod later if you want it even louder. Conversely, if it proves to be too loud, you could have the end caps welded back on.

Cheers!  Wink

`09 Monster 1100S + Termi carbon cans w/ECU/filter + Gutted dB Killers + Tech Spec tank pads + Evotech fender eliminator + 14-T sprocket + Speedymoto sliders + Beltronics RX-65 radar detector
Povidius

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 08:23:01 PM »

I might have to do this... neighbors are complaining that the termi's on my 696 are too loud when I warm it up for the morning commute.  It's the bass/lower frequencies that wake them up.
Strafer

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 02:13:39 AM »

It's easy.

crimsoncloak

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 03:54:46 AM »

On my Arrows I ended up cutting the db killer down to about a 1/3 its original length.  So just the flange and two inches or so of tubing.  It is about half as loud as straight through now, and retains most of the depth and smoothness in the tone that we all love.  It is pretty quiet down low, and perks up when you get on the gas.  I find it to be a nice balance.

It's so easy to test that I'd just cut the baffles down a few inches at a time and see where you think a fair balance between neighbors and mayhem occurs.
misterburns

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 05:03:30 PM »

I need to find a spare set and give this a go.  Anybody know where I can pick these up online?

M1100s
coarsegoldkid

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 10:38:48 AM »

If this post seems like a hyjack Adms please move accordingly.
Are Termis installed with an associated DP ECU calibrated for the pipes and air filter?  If true I suspect a richer air fuel mixture is now present with DP ECU over the stock ECU. True or False assumption?
If db killers are installed impairing exhaust gas flow does that mean the A/F mix is now too rich?

Does it really matter?

You don't stop riding motorcycles when you get old.  You get old when you stop riding motorcycles.
Povidius

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 11:03:37 AM »

If this post seems like a hyjack Adms please move accordingly.
Are Termis installed with an associated DP ECU calibrated for the pipes and air filter?  If true I suspect a richer air fuel mixture is now present with DP ECU over the stock ECU. True or False assumption?
If db killers are installed impairing exhaust gas flow does that mean the A/F mix is now too rich?

Does it really matter?

Yes, the termi kit comes with a highflow filter and a new ecu (to take advantage of the high flow filter and not so much the slip ons).  Yes, the bike runs richer.

"Does it really matter?"  No.
Raux
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 11:05:57 AM »

how can the exhaust being restricted with the DB killers make it run richer? doesn't make sense.
Povidius

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 03:24:23 PM »

To clear up any confusion, I was saying the bike runs richer with the termi/dp ecu/filter AND NOT with the db killers.
benschi

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 01:21:07 AM »

Hi, does anybody know where I can buy spare part DB-eater?
M1100

Life is Good....

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 11:41:13 AM »

Should I mod the killers before the dealer installs them and tunes the bike?

Big Bear Chopper Sled Prostreet
Monster 1100
The artist FKA bbc chop
theprocess

'09 M696

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 06:01:12 AM »

Hi, does anybody know where I can buy spare part DB-eater?

I'd like to know also, before I hack mine up.
M1100

Life is Good....

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 12:03:45 PM »

we all need some spares....  should i hack before or after install, or does it matter?

Big Bear Chopper Sled Prostreet
Monster 1100
The artist FKA bbc chop
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: