Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 11:53:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing Headlight Bulb on M696  (Read 9408 times)
whatsup

« on: December 18, 2009, 10:17:32 AM »

Hi.  I did search but couldn't really find an exact hit.  Anyway, need to change the headlight bulb on my M696.  Appreciate instructions.

Thank you.
H2O

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 10:39:19 AM »

Looking in the manual, its not as easy as you would think. You need to remove the instrument cluster cover ( not the whole thing) by removing two screws near the middle at the outer edges. Then disconnect wiring connector for the cluster and the turn signals Next remove two nuts on the  fork yolks that secure the light to the forks. Next there are two pins on the top on the light that you pull out with the headlight that help it line up.  Now the headlight should be free. You need to remove the cover screws (3) to access the bulbs. You may also need to remove turn signal stalks by removing the c clip and some screws. It shows to remove them in the manual, but I dont see why. If you can gain access to the bulbs without doing so, then dont remove them. I dont have experience tearing this off yet.

If its still under warranty, I would just take it in and let them deal with it if its an option!!!

Replacement is an H-7 bulb
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 10:43:40 AM by H2O » Logged
T. Rush

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 11:01:09 AM »

The first time you take the light off may seem a bit labor intensive but seriously after the next 4 or 5 times it's a breeze. H2O is right on as for as the steps involved. IIRC the signals can stay. IMO don't take it in. Have fun instead. By the way I've got the M696 manual on CD. If anyone wants to PM me, first one can have it.

tod

Remember to define the space you occupy
whatsup

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 11:07:21 AM »

Thanks guys.  I was afraid that was the answer.   But was just hoping something a bit simpler....Thank you very much.
Raux
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 01:50:40 PM »

OMG sooo wrong.
this is easy stuff.
the back cover of the instrument panel is either the bikini fairing or the small cover.
the bikini is four small bolts on the front. the other is two in the back.
unclip the instruments wiring. unclip the signals and headlight wiring
loosen the two nuts on the lower triple for the headlight.
slide the headlight assembly up from the rubber mounts on top. it's off.
open the back cover.
replace the lights
reverse.
H2O

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 09:08:54 AM »

OMG sooo wrong.
this is easy stuff.
the back cover of the instrument panel is either the bikini fairing or the small cover.
the bikini is four small bolts on the front. the other is two in the back.
unclip the instruments wiring. unclip the signals and headlight wiring
loosen the two nuts on the lower triple for the headlight.
slide the headlight assembly up from the rubber mounts on top. it's off.
open the back cover.
replace the lights
reverse.

Is not this exactly as I stated?Huh?

What I meant by " not as easy as you would think" was that you just dont reach in the back and swap it out.
Raux
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 10:35:23 AM »

yeah except for the taking turn signals off and oh yeah take it to the dealer scare Wink
and i think the bulbs are two different types.
the early manuals were incorrect. not sure if they ever fixed it.
whatsup

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 01:53:54 PM »

I'll let you know how it goes.  Thank you.   I have some Rizoma Zero 11 lights that I've had for while.  I'm guessing this would be the time to put them on as well.  Any opinion on how those guys look?  I also have some of the smaller Ducati lights. 
Raux
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 12:21:40 AM »

lmao.... nevermind about the turnsignal issue then.

but yes it would be the time to replace them. you'll need a star screwdriver if i remember right
whatsup

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 08:23:08 AM »

Ok, silly question but I don't want to do it incorrectly.  How do you disconnect the headlight wiring connector (large white connector's)?  I have found it but am unsure how to separate it.

Thanks in advance.
Raux
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 09:12:44 AM »

IF i remember correctly you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver to help separate them. it's a simple clip.
whatsup

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 11:57:55 AM »

Well, there isn't anything simple about it, for me anyway.  I have a small driver and have been pushing in on the sides of what I believe are the clips.  But, I don't know as it's not snapping out.  Feel like I'm going mess it up and it won't go back.  I'm not mechanically inclined but refuse to have someone else change a frickin lightbulb.  Does anyone happen to have a picture of the clip and which part I push in to dislodge?
whatsup

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 12:10:08 PM »

Defeated it.  Thank you.
Raux
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 12:50:34 PM »

sorry i was looking for photos i might have had. the part is in a box of destroyed parts from my mishap.

you'll get there on everything with the bike. I've completely taken everything off the bike I could a few times to hand wash parts or paint, etc.

don't ask my why i left the mirrors on???
whatsup

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 02:06:47 PM »

No worries Raux.  Best of luck with your rebuild.  Can you imagine the questions I would have if I attempted more than lightbulbs!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: