Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 11:14:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My 02'620 won't start!!!  (Read 13197 times)
Red-guerrilla

Red Guerrilla

« on: July 07, 2010, 06:34:06 PM »

Hey all,

I've had my 02 620 dark for about a month. For some reason during a ride it just shut down on me. I did put gas in it. It will turnover but won't start all the way.

I did remove the charcoal canister.........
TrevOwnz

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 06:55:18 PM »

Happen to me once. My Starter Relay got unplugged. Check all your connections.

Is your lights on the dash showing and does it click when you hit the starter button? It's not a loud click so you would have to listen carefully. Sound should be under the seat.

1999 Ducati Monster 750
Red-guerrilla

Red Guerrilla

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 07:04:45 PM »

I will check on the relay, is it the one with the "heat fins" under the seat. all the dash lights and head light do turn on like normal and the bike turns over. it just doesn't  start.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 07:10:27 PM »

Status of immobilizer light?  Do the gauges sweep?  Can you hear the fuel pump?  The starter relay is not the culprit if the bike turns over.
Red-guerrilla

Red Guerrilla

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 08:07:11 PM »

stupid question but where is the immobilizer bar? gauges do sweep and i can hear the fuel pump.....
TrevOwnz

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 10:16:10 PM »

Oh sorry I thought it said won't turn over. Mine did turn over a couple times then randomly stopped. I might have been moving the bike and the relay might have bee grounding and ungrounding, idk.

1999 Ducati Monster 750
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 01:36:27 AM »

stupid question but where is the immobilizer bar? gauges do sweep and i can hear the fuel pump.....

The amber light that flashes when you park the bike, does it go out.  Since the bike turns over, the gauges sweep and the pump runs one can assume you don't have an immobilizer problem.  Did the bike simply stall and refuse to start or were there other symptoms (bucking, strange noises, anything else you can remember)?  Does the bike sound normal when cranking?  In the meanwhile, you could pull the spark plugs and look at them.
Red-guerrilla

Red Guerrilla

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 05:12:32 AM »

I'll look at the spark plugs. Everything seems normal. Sometimes it seems like it wants to turn on.
Red-guerrilla

Red Guerrilla

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 05:23:58 PM »

I broke down and took the bike to the local ducati dealer. I got quoted $380 to replace all the fuel lines in the tank. Is this something I can do myself? I'm very mechanically inclined and I have all the basic tools. I just know if someone has done a write up on something like that. 
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 02:16:49 AM »

Make sure you use fuel line rated SAE 30R10 (immersible) or you will have future problems.  If you find a source for 5/16 30R10 post up.
Meerkat
When I'm not playing Silver Power Ranger, I'm a

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 02:41:05 AM »

http://www.frsport.com/Gates-Submersible-Fuel-Hose-For-In-Tank-Lines-SAE-30R10_p_15937.html

$19.95 foot

'07 S2R1K
'09 Daytona 675
'03 620 Dark-Sold 03/26/2011
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 02:43:35 AM »

Oops!  I should have said 1/4''  bang head
Red-guerrilla

Red Guerrilla

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 05:04:19 AM »

I'm having the shop order me the oem part.

Does anybody have a write-up or tutorial on how to replace them or is it a pretty straight forward job?
motox79

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 05:10:47 PM »

I know this was a common problem in the ducati sport classic line. ducati used a cheap fuel line (or non submersible line in conjunction with lousy clamps) and it would swell and "pop" off the fuel pump under pressure. Consequently, this means your fuel injectors are not getting any fuel pressure (its a common misconception that fuel injectors "spray" fuel. They infact are just a solenoid that opens and closes! The pressure comes from a fuel pump, and/or fuel pressure regulator...but enough of that!) Anyhow, first things first....Open your gas cap, grab a flashlight, while looking in, turn the key to "on" and see if fuel "sprays" in random directions. If it does, you need to fix the internal plumbing. It is not difficult. Use a 8mm wrench (well, socket) to undo the 6 (if i remember correctly) bolt holding in the fuel pump on the bottom of the tank. Pull out the fuel pump (be careful of the large green O-Ring as well as various parts such as the filter which sticks out). You will prob. notice a fuel line has poped off of a barb. Simply get a screw down hose clamp and clamp it back on! Viola! Now the tricky part is fitting that o-ring back into place. Take your time, or you will dump fuel everywhere when you flip the tank over. Hope this helps!
Red-guerrilla

Red Guerrilla

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 06:14:04 PM »

thanks! that was a lot of help. putting the fuel pump back in the clamp was the hardest part by far. i rode her today. waytogo

BTW. I found some fuel lines at a boat shop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: