Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 05:40:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: *resolved* 696 issues, Trans stuck in second gear. Can't shift.  (Read 13318 times)
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

Bike sold - But I'm still lurking.

« on: September 02, 2010, 08:26:59 AM »

On the way to class today, bike was warm running as usual. I pulled up to a stop sign went to drop into first and the shifter went to the floor and stayed there. I killed the bike and hopped off. Tried to roll but stuck in gear. Clutched it and rolls fine so clutch appears to be working properly.

Started bike back up and I can hear sort of a whining. It is a new sound and not something that was there previously.

Tried to man-handle the shifter back to neutral but it will not budge at all. Pushed the bike back to the house down the road and headed back to class in the car.

I have not had a chance to check anything yet but I can tell you in the 10 minutes I spent troubleshooting there appears to be quick fix.

I am second owner and bike was purchased dec of 08 so 2yr warranty is still in effect.

Please help!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 12:58:31 PM by Veloce-Fino » Logged

Is this thing on?
Raux
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 08:48:18 AM »

search tech.. i think i remember another person having a similar problem.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:07:56 AM »

Sounds like the shifter drum over rotated.

It could be a broken spring or just an adjustment.

...and yes there are several threads and pics on the forum.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 09:11:08 AM »

Sounds like the shifter drum over rotated.

It could be a broken spring or just an adjustment.

...and yes there are several threads and pics on the forum.

Found one applicable thread
http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=8154.0

Is this thing on?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 09:17:26 AM »

This might be more help.

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=38656.msg686152#msg686152

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 09:18:37 AM »

Grazi

Is this thing on?
chisel

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 01:21:48 PM »

Had the same problem. Pulled the cover on that side of the engine. The mounting for the shifter arm is slotted allowing adjustment. It was installed too "tight" from the factory so when it wore a slight amount, it got stuck in the down position. I re-adjusted it, installed the cover, re-filled with oil. Been fine for 4000 miles.
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 02:03:41 PM »

Had the same problem. Pulled the cover on that side of the engine. The mounting for the shifter arm is slotted allowing adjustment. It was installed too "tight" from the factory so when it wore a slight amount, it got stuck in the down position. I re-adjusted it, installed the cover, re-filled with oil. Been fine for 4000 miles.

Shit, it sounds super simple.... unfortunately I'm back at school and my garage and tools are hours away. Hopefully under warranty I'll be able to get roadside assistance and have it taken to a dealer. Nearest one is an hour away.

Is this thing on?
obsidian gt

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 09:57:36 AM »

I had the exact same issue with mine, at mile 26!!  I downshifted into 1st came to a stop, started off to merge onto a 4 lane highway, went to shift into 2nd...nope, stuck!  Got it back to the dealership, and long story short there was a faulty detent spring, and apparently it allowed the shift linkage to travel past the stop and get stuck.  I'd start with that.   waytogo
citizin

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 10:11:13 AM »

I hate having bike issues on the way to class...sits on your mind all day.
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 10:17:06 AM »

I hate having bike issues on the way to class...sits on your mind all day.

^ yep, Could not focus one bit. Bike was picked up today and taken to the dealer. I have not heard anything from then yet.

Is this thing on?
citizin

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 11:31:35 AM »

Well good luck. Let us know what the deal is
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 05:22:29 PM »

Update on the bike. This is a crazy story....

Bike was at dealer for 2 weeks before it was looked at.

tech opens up the side case and says no springs were broken but an adjustment needs to be made which was causing the shifter to travel beyond the stops and get locked in position. Dealer fixes the bike and tells me there is a parts kit from ducati that permanently fixes this issue. He then tells me it will take 2 weeks to get here but gives me the bike for the mean time saying "it will probably never happen again but lets install the kit just in case"

So we order the kit and I ride the bike home. A nice 50 minutes on the highway (I81S) and I'm back at my apt.

Bike sits for one day until Sunday when I hop on to go for a nice ride. About 1.5 miles from my apt. the bike breaks again in the exact same fasion. Shifter locked completely down, unable to budge it. This time it's in neutral so I can't limp it home..... I would push it but it's all uphill...

So now my bike is sitting in a public parking lot at the end of the college party street. 2 years ago I watched a drunk guy kick a gsxr600 over to look "tough" in the very same spot. I'm sitting here shitting myself waiting for the bike to get stolen or vandalized.

Called the dealer to arrange ANOTHER pickup at 12pm today. Never called me back.... no telling when they will come get it . My guess is wednesday.

This has been one amazingly huge headache. I have had the duc for <6 months and it has broken twice....

Needless to say my friend on his ZX6r has never had an issue in 4 years.... WTF

Is this thing on?
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 05:23:57 PM »

Figured this was worth another post....

Sunday after the bike breaks down I get a lift from a stranger back to my apt. so I can take the cage.... LO AND BEHOLD someone SLASHED both of my rear tires..... $200 later I have a car again and no bike still...

I really have the worst luck known to man...It's a fact.

Is this thing on?
asherrick

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 02:58:35 AM »

Sorry to hear about your troubles!  I was at the dealer yesterday and heard them talking about picking a bike up from Ship again; I figured it must be yours.  I had the shift kit installed on my bike under warranty.  In typical Ducati fashion it took a few weeks for the parts to come in.  Granted, my bike wasn't having the same issue as yours; I was getting false neutrals.

'09 M1100s
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: