Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 10:45:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No more Lurching/Lugging below 3k!!!  (Read 10910 times)
polivo

« on: September 09, 2010, 05:32:40 PM »

First let me say, I LOVE my m1100. Ive riden sport bikes for th last 13 years and when I finally decided to to purchase the monster... it was a rocky start.

1. The ducati is just gorgeous to look at.
2. Phenomenal to listen to.
3. gets looks by everyone!

The negative? The low speed, low rpms lurching is almost unbearable to live with!!! Its soo bad, it made me miss my R1. So i did alot of research, read reviews and tried a few products.

The end result is something I MUST SHARE with my Fellow MONSTER lovers!
The below combination, has literally made my m1100 "almost" feel like an inline 4 in terms of low end smoothness.

1. 14t sprocket
2. Throttle tamer by G2
3. new gel handgrips
4. Bar end weights.

Guys this is no exaggeration. With just the throttle tamer and gel grips.. the BIKE was INSTANTLY transformed!!! It was like night and day. the sprocket change and the bar end weights were almost unnecessary.

In short, I personally believe that the issue may not be as much about fueling issues.. as much as its about the throttle cam. I believe the throttle cam, is designed intentionallly large by ducati. This large cam has the affect of making the throttle response seems immediate, like a high horsepower motorcycle. However, the adverse affect of that.. is that the low rpms will seem grabbly/snatchy.. lurching as the smallest twist of the wrist has a huge affect.

the G2 throttle tamer has a much smaller lobe, this inturn allows you a wider range of motion as your twisting the throttle, which in turns allows for more precise, SMOOTH throttle inputs.

I cant recommend this device enough. Stop living with the problem like i did for months.. and trying to rationalize it "all vtwins are like this". Mine is now 90% percent better,,, and im as happy as can be with the bike.

Hope this helps someone else. Preston
DoubleEagle

" If you are unafraid you will be safe "

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 06:32:20 PM »

It's so gratifying to go from totally bummed out and thinking it's always going to be the way it is ....to finding the " cure " and living happy ever after.

Dolph     Smiley

'08 Ducati 1098 R    '09 BMW K 1300 GT   '10 BMW S 1000 RR

Shortest sentence...." I am "   Longest sentence ... " I Do "
muskrat

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 04:59:28 AM »

this the one? http://g2ergo.com/shop/catalog/G2-Tamer-Throttle-Tube-for-Ducati-267.html
also, what gel grips.  I can't get comfortable on the stock so I have the foam dirtbike grips over them.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 08:30:27 AM »

No pix; doesn't exist.   Evil

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

polivo

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 10:10:51 AM »

gel grip: http://www.monsterparts.com/pc/177933/Controls/177933.html

throttle tamer: http://g2ergo.com/shop/catalog/Street-4-1.html

The gel grips are only 13 bucks.. what a massive difference. I think its becuase theyre fatter (so your not squeezing muscles in your forearm as mush as the thin duc grips) and the fact the gel definetly dampens the vibrations in the tubes. Feels great.. such a cheap and effective mod.
causeofkaos

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 10:15:02 AM »

thanks for posting your findings! waytogo

Favorite convo i read on this board
"PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN"
"F**K U IT HAPPENED"

Suzuki Blvd M109R " Sliver " = assassinated by cager
PW 696 " Pearl " = traded in
M1100 " Loki " = Viking God of mischief ( Goddess in this case )
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty pristine body, but rather to come in sliding sideways all used up screaming F*CK YEAH WHAT A RDIE!!
muskrat

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 11:55:24 AM »

wonder if it works on an S4R as well.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Duc796canada

My first Ducati and road bike!

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 12:15:31 PM »

Funny, after I saw the video, I went and looked at my throttle, there was no play at all!!! I wonder if that contributes to the uncontrollable surge? I did order the tamer we will have to wait and see. I wasn't keen on the gearing thing, atleast not going down one on the front, I would have gone up one or even two on the back. According to the Gear Commander, the RPM and top speed wouldn't be as affected with two on the rear vice dropping one on the front, two teeth just seems about right.

796 Red Monster(sans ABS)
Viz-Tec Supabrake II
15/41 gearing(AFAM quick change sprocket)
PC V, NEXTUP QS.
2006 Suzuki GSXR 600 track bike(I know...not a Duc...some day)
polivo

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 12:57:40 PM »

Duc.. im no mechanic, so i risk getting flamed for this one. I do think that NO cable play would contribute some to the lurchy response. However, the throttle tamer is going to feel like night and day. In short, the intial reaction kinda feels like a smaller bike, but then once your up and going, its right back to normal.
Duc796canada

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 11:06:19 PM »

All good Polivo, feedback is good, that is why we all come to the Ducati Forum.  coffee

Viz-Tec Supabrake II
PC V, NEXTUP QS.
Adamm0621

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 02:47:26 PM »

When someone else tries this, let me know how it works, I'd be quite interested to do this mod if it works as well as advertised.

2010 Monster 696 Dark
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 05:30:51 AM »

Funny, after I saw the video, I went and looked at my throttle, there was no play at all!!! I wonder if that contributes to the uncontrollable surge? I did order the tamer we will have to wait and see. I wasn't keen on the gearing thing, atleast not going down one on the front, I would have gone up one or even two on the back. According to the Gear Commander, the RPM and top speed wouldn't be as affected with two on the rear vice dropping one on the front, two teeth just seems about right.

I thought I'd read somewhere that -1 in the front was the same as +2 in the back?

I've been considering that G2 unit as well.  with the good report I just might spring for it.

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
Greg

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 08:51:43 AM »

I thought I'd read somewhere that -1 in the front was the same as +2 in the back?

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

Err let's be careful what are we talking about here  Evil

Actually with a 15/42 ratio it is more like 1 to 3

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
Duc796canada

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 10:40:52 AM »

One tooth off the front is slightly lower gearing than 2 teeth on the back, "smidge," but affects the RPM more at 50MPH. I know everyone has there favourite gearing combo, personally, one tooth on the back would have done me good as my riding is not too city comprised but i want two so 15/41.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Viz-Tec Supabrake II
PC V, NEXTUP QS.
polivo

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 04:11:40 PM »

anyone else have feedback on this?  Im curious about your thoughts? seems to me like a pretty cheap add on, that helps tame this beat a little.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: