Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 04:34:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to... Install Suburban Machinery Bars  (Read 11019 times)
Research Monkey

« on: June 10, 2008, 12:11:11 AM »

So i'm used to hunching over on a sportbike and when I bought my monster and started commuting on it i felt that the bars were a little to high and out.  I searched around and instead of purchasing some clip-ons i decided to try out the suburban machinery bars.

Suburban Machinery bars:

Suburban Machinery bars compared to the OEM bars:

Tools Needed:

Philips head screw driver
2 Allen wrenches (i believe it was either a 5 and a 7 or a 6 and an Cool - Brake / Clutch assemblies and bolts that hold in the bars
1 12mm socket (brake / clutch lines)
1 8 mm socket (throttle cable)

Up first... Disassembly of the OEM bars.  All i did was unbolt everything and let everything hang loose.  The clutch side grip can be taken off with the use of an air compressor.  The electronic controls just need a philips head screw driver and the clutch / brake levers will need allen wrenches. The throttle cable uses 2 8mm bolts that you need to take off as well.  Should look something like the following when done:

Now that all the controls are off, you can go ahead and take the bar off.  This will require another allen wrench to take off.  Once you get this off you just need to put the new bar in place.  Once the new bar is in place make sure the bar is aligned right.  I just used a ruler and measured from the forks. Make sure you don't tighten the bolts just yet, you want to be able to have some play to move things around. 

After the bar is installed, start putting all the controls back on.  At this point you are going to want to unbolt the gauge cluster so you can play with the cables a little to get everything aligned correctly.  I had to actually loosen the bolts for the clutch brake lines to move them around.  Should come out looking like this:

After you have everything back on, make sure your levers and controls work properly and all the wires/lines have a little play in them.  Now start her up! When i first started the bike i noticed that the idle was very high even though the choke was completely off! I checked that the choke was ok, then went straight to where the throttle cables were and loosened them a little.  This solved the high idle problem. 

now you're all done!  Make sure you tighten all bolts!

First impressions, the bars are lower which is nice.  I thought they would be a little more narrow but i'm good with where they are.  All in all i think it was worth the money~

2005 Ducati Monster 620 - The Daily ride -
2006 GSXR600 - The Track Whore -
2008 Nissan Titan - The Toy Hauler -
Research Monkey

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 12:14:04 AM »

2005 Ducati Monster 620 - The Daily ride -
2006 GSXR600 - The Track Whore -
2008 Nissan Titan - The Toy Hauler -
nkryptit

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 09:44:22 AM »

Great guide and pics...I'm thinking of putting these on my 696 instead of trying to install clip-ons.  Are you enjoying these so far, does it give you a longer reach to the bars, because thats what I'm really looking for.

Also..in your pics...it looks like there is room to roll the bars down towards the top of the forks to go even lower.  I'm I correct?  Would this cause any clearance issues for you?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:47:18 AM by nkryptit » Logged
teddy037.2
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 07:01:22 PM »

it probably doesn't hurt to point out that those wider SM bars are made to fit bikes w/the coffin MCs... the middle portion of the bar (where it clamps) to the weld joints is wider than the 'normal' SM bars.

bah! I need to snap some a pic of mine to illustrate the difference!  [moto]
teddy037.2
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 06:27:19 PM »

my bars, fitted w/brembo goldline MCs
IIRC, they also maintain clearance for the fork adjusters

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 06:30:03 PM by teddy037.2 » Logged
DucatiTorrey
My wife's super hero is my

Industrial Designer

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 12:27:33 PM »

doesn't somebody here have them on a 696? cant seem to find that thread.

- real place
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: