Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 15, 2024, 08:55:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to [safely] clean your visor in the field  (Read 10668 times)
professor_pro

« on: June 20, 2008, 08:32:29 AM »

I nice simple trick I picked up at some point...

You do have to find some sort of civilization such as a store, fast food joint, gas station, etc, to procure the two needed components: A napkin and some water. (Of course a microfiber cloth would be ideal, but this is for when you're out there with nothing!)

Take the napkin/paper towel and get it pretty wet. Simply lay the wet napkin over your visor for a couple minutes, which effectively loosens up all the gunk. This makes it very easy to wipe off the stuff without scratching the hell out of the visor. Take another dry napkin & carefully dry everything off.

Voila! Hit the road again with improved visibility & proceed doing your part to cut down on the world's insect population!  [moto]

"Life is for having fun, not propping up emotional cripples!"

Current stable: '08 S4RS Tricolore;  '07 DR-Z400SM;  '04 MINI Cooper S; 

Past stablemates: '02 620ie dark; '06 Yamaha TW200;  '76 Volvo 242
Capt baz

TITANIUM MEAT PUPPET

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 06:17:23 AM »

i always travel/ride with a couple, 4 or 5 , of individual packaged lens cleaning towelettes. they clean without scratching  & work well. waytogo

"It will not go in deepr than it is long"

2016 M 1200 R, Vivid Black, Termignoni, Rapid Bike EVO, EVOTECH Engine/Cooler guards & Tail Tidy, Rizoma Circuit 851 mirrors, Motodemic Adaptive LED Headlight, carbon fiber everywhere........ Kiss French/Ride Italian
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 02:35:19 AM »

Or you could carry one of these:

http://www.weewilly.com/
jesse370

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 09:53:55 AM »

http://www.smfcycles.com/v2sponge

THE best solution to get bugs off your visor. Small enough to keep in a pocket and you just keep it wet and you can use it forever, it literally pulls the bugs right off. Its amazing.

White S4Rs | Ducati Performance Chip | Termi's | Hyperpro side mount damper | Motowheels MW-7000 Slipper | Billet Clutch Cover |  Speedymoto Ti Spring Caps | Speedymoto Stainless Springs | STM Frame Plugs | Ducati Performance Seat | CRG Roll-A-Clicks
Ducatiloo

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 02:24:12 PM »

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=20312

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
Spider
Ozmonsters: degenerating nicely since 2008

I may be long, but I fold up nicely

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 01:56:27 AM »

I used this trick today and felt like a pro - so much better than the wet cloth and scrub routine.

cheers

Spider
ryandalling

Trade you my milk for your Ducati...

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 08:36:41 AM »

I usually just get real close to a car who is cleaning their windshield... and get the over spray of cleaner fluid on my visor.... and wipe with the back side of my glove.  Grin   As an added bonus.. if it is hot out... the water cools you too.

As a side note... I go through visors pretty fast.  laughingdp

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
TiNi
Post Whore

'05 620ie

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 03:37:37 AM »

i use the mini plexus and a microfiber cloth i got with a pair of sunglasses... fits in your pocket  waytogo

Ducatiloo

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 08:44:34 AM »

I usually just get real close to a car who is cleaning their windshield... and get the over spray of cleaner fluid on my visor.... and wipe with the back side of my glove.  Grin   As an added bonus.. if it is hot out... the water cools you too.

As a side note... I go through visors pretty fast.  laughingdp

Really? The drivers around me get pissed when I put my helmet right next to their window.

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
Munch

Monster S4R - Munchstrada 1100S - 749R

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 09:01:42 PM »

My god, and I've been riding around like this for months!!

Thank God!
pnut

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 11:43:54 PM »

I find that occasionally waxing my visor with a good automotive wax helps make clean up much easier.
tcharles

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 03:47:14 PM »

When I gas up I just use the windshield washer and squeegee.  It works and will likely get some laughs.
Jarvicious
The guy in my avatar wants your

Balls

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 08:01:11 PM »

I find that occasionally waxing my visor with a good automotive wax helps make clean up much easier.

Does that actually work without jacking up your visor?  I've though about putting rain-ex on my visor for rain's sake but it says directly on the bottle that it's not made for use on plastic.  Do you have more or less fogging issues with the wax? 

As far as the washing on the go goes, I ususally make sure I hit a decent gas station and just dip the edge of one of their paper towels in the windshield washer fluid and wipe away.  So far, not a scratch (with the exception of that one little helmet drop in the driveway).

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
lauramonster
pissin' on this thread with your

Ride it like you stole it.........

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 11:40:19 AM »

I've scratched my visor using the windshield squeegee ( the visor no longer turns dark in the sun, and I was going to replace it anyway - so I wasn't upset about the long, thin scratch).

I ordered the V-2 (well, three actually.  me, hubby & a friend who always rides together!). 

Thanks for the info!

**Threadjack**  If they make a cleaner that fills in the cracks for CDs, can't they make one for the visors??

Frickin' snow!
lauramonster
pissin' on this thread with your

Ride it like you stole it.........

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 11:47:10 AM »

Does that actually work without jacking up your visor?  I've though about putting rain-ex on my visor for rain's sake but it says directly on the bottle that it's not made for use on plastic.  Do you have more or less fogging issues with the wax? 

As far as the washing on the go goes, I ususally make sure I hit a decent gas station and just dip the edge of one of their paper towels in the windshield washer fluid and wipe away.  So far, not a scratch (with the exception of that one little helmet drop in the driveway).

Last time we did a weekend ride, we were caught in the rain.  Stopped at CycleGear - bought a packet of schmutz for the visors and rainsuits.  The packet looked like the size for condoms (okay, average size condoms  - not YOUR sized condoms).  It looked like car wax, you rubbed it on, let it dry, use a dry soft cloth to remove.  Man that stuff works great!!!!  Just turn you head slightly (left or right) and the water just separates and runs off your visor.  No more wiping!!! (as long as it's not a downpour).  It was like $5.00 and did all three of our windshields. 

Frickin' snow!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: