Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 04:22:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to make your own bike stand.  (Read 10946 times)
mostro

« on: July 02, 2008, 01:06:11 AM »

anyone got a link or any instructions?
also im looking for a gear change pedal if anyone can point me in the right direction. chug
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 04:35:31 PM »

Look for Chris(MotoredSports) in the Parts for sale section.  He will have a shifter for you.

M-ROCin' it!!!
truckinduc

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 05:14:10 PM »

i made my bike stand, more like engine stand. Took a 4x6 and notched it for 2 verticle 2x4's. Drilled holes through the 2x4's and slid a rod through the engine case and the stand. There you have it, simple, cheap and effective.

knightrider

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 10:37:16 PM »

i once used a slightly bent handlebar under the front cyl, supported by jackstands on either side when i did my sbk swap. worked out good.

1994 M900
ducducgooseme
Local Moderator

Same ole DesmoDevil, in a more gentle package

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 04:54:12 AM »

I made this and use it all the time.  I added two removeable side extenders to mine that are supported with two by 4s that slide in and out of the stand with notches cut out.  There are no bolts holding this stand together, but it doesnt move at all.  I have used this for all of my bikes.

I used non slip paint from Home Depot on the top and side extenders for extra grip.

If you love your bike, set it free.
If it comes back to you, you've
probably high-sided.
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 06:42:42 PM »

That's perfect.....how quick does it assemble/breakdown?  I currently have to share garage space and need to be able to store it quickly.

M-ROCin' it!!!
ducducgooseme
Local Moderator

Same ole DesmoDevil, in a more gentle package

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 03:14:44 PM »

1 person, 1 minute to assemble.  super easy.   waytogo

If you love your bike, set it free.
If it comes back to you, you've
probably high-sided.
truckinduc

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 04:42:42 PM »

nice. Ive got something different now. Made an aluminum engine stand.  The entire bike is on a steel rolling thing with a table top I built for it. rolls around very nicely.

mattyvas

I've become an old man on an old man's bike

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 09:55:39 PM »

Simple easy to make items.
Side note, interesting looking project Truckinduc.

DucLeone

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 06:26:32 PM »

I made this and use it all the time.  I added two removeable side extenders to mine that are supported with two by 4s that slide in and out of the stand with notches cut out.  There are no bolts holding this stand together, but it doesnt move at all.  I have used this for all of my bikes.

I used non slip paint from Home Depot on the top and side extenders for extra grip.

after some research i found this (not my writeup)

The "Box"!
This stand is built from two sheets of 3/4" Marine Grade plywood (There are also a few sections of 1 X 2 used for bracing). Incredibly sturdy! The box will be able to support close to 800 pounds. Locations for handlebar tie-downs when the bike is on the stand. Easy as loading a bike onto a pick-up truck. Held together with friction alone. No fasteners! Quickly disassembles and stores as four 1/2 sheets of plywood. I believe it could be invaluable at the track!

Parts is Parts!
The parts of this box are: 2 sides, a top, a back and middle slat, and finally a front slat. You can purchase plywood from Home Depot or Lowes. They will cut twice for free with a vertical table saw with the purchase of the wood. Ask them to "rip" (cut the long way) the sheets down the middle. They will try to cut across the sheets about a 1/2 dozen times before they understand that you need them ripped! Make sure they get as close to center as possible. That's NOT as important as you think. Notice I use the same piece from each sheet as sides. That's in case their saw is off a bit. I suggest marking the pieces before they cut them. You can pay for the extra cuts to make the slats. I did mine myself (and then wish I'd paid for the extra cuts!).

Cutting Guide

While at the store you'll need a couple of lengths of 1" X 2". These were not in the original plans. I added them as stops and braces to the top. The keep the top from sliding on the box once assembled. Grab a handfull of screws long enough to go through the plywood and into the 1" X 2"s.

Building
The stand is held together by a series of slots cut in the sides and slats. The slots are just as wide as the plywood is thick. NO SLOP! They are exactly as long as 1/2 the height of the plywood. The slats get slots on the bottoms and sides get slots on the tops. Slots near the ends of the sides should start 3" from the ends. As should the slot's on the back and middle slats.

Use the middle slat and a centerline mark to mark the position of the slots on the front slat. It will stick out a foot further on the sides than the other slats. I put my middle slat where the center stand of my VFR and BMWs goes. Use your best judgment. I used a jig saw to cut the slots. I think a circular saw AND a jigsaw would of been better... but I didn't have a circular saw! I cut inside the lines and did most of my fitting with a file. It took a long time but I'd rather have these fit as tight as possible for strength. Before assembly I "lubed" up the slots with bar soap.

Slotting and Assembly Guide

In the diagram you'll notice the two sections of 1" X 2"s. These screw to the underside of the top. They are situated between the sides and in front of the back and behind the front slats. They provide a bit of strength to the top but are there mainly to keep the top from sliding around. The two holes in the front slat are for tie-downs to the bars or forks.. I have a hook from the ceiling to steady the bike but these can provide just as much if not more stability.

Tips
I firmly suggest two people are used to load a bike! I use an aluminum motorcycle ramp to load the bikes onto the stand. I run a strap through one of the "rungs" on the ramp and hook it onto the sides of the rear slat. This keeps the ramp from sliding off the top of the box. I'm pretty tall so I can walk beside the stand and still support the bike. I think most people will need a step stool to walk up and onto the stand with the bike. The other person should stand on the opposite side of the bike "just in case".

Safety is paramount and no personal injury is worth a dented tank. I always give the same briefing: "Help steady but if it starts to go: RUN!" The top of the box can be coated with non-skid. I haven't done it as I lay down too many tools and drip too much oil. Please be careful and use your best judgment: Bikes can fall off this stand!

DUCATI NON E UNA MOTO, E UN STILE DI VIVERE
KISS FRENCH AND RIDE ITALIAN
S2R 800 Black
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: