Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 09, 2024, 03:14:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boot review: Puma GP 1000 :)  (Read 2717 times)
Grio

Erzulie

« on: July 07, 2008, 09:00:57 AM »

Just purchased the Puma GP 1000 boot Courtesy of Motowheels super “members only” sale.  Took them out for a spin this weekend, and was very pleased.

MSRP $395

The boot is comprised of a snuggly neoprene inner bootie (non-removable) with substantial exterior bracing and plates comprising the outer boot.  Stepping in and out of the boot is a little reminiscent of traveling through the birth canal, but once you are in, you are cocooned in comfortable goodness, just like mom used to make.   There is a quick draw lace device at the back of the heel to draw the inner bootie tight.   The outer boot has a ratcheting strap (similar to a wake board boot) to accommodate a variety of armor configurations.    Although the entire boot can easily be described as robust, there is a tremendous amount of natural foot and ankle movement afforded.  A surprising amount of peg and shifter feedback is communicated as well--a veritable pair of “robo-slippers”.

The boots are not vented, and vegan’s delight, made of all synthetic materials.  Although triple digit weather has not been encountered yet, they seem to be cooler that my old non-vented Sidi Vertabrea 2 boots.  My only concern at this point is the Titanium toe sliders.  I Have been know to get a toe down here and there...some trackday providers do not like titanium sliders because they spark, can cause fires in dry conditions, or have been known to spook/distract other riders.  Let’s see how I do...

Boys:  Channel your inner metrosexual and embrace the PUMA font running up the back of the boot shaft as uber cool.  Reports are that the lettering is highly legible from a pretty good distance

A note to the ladies: There are not many high end ultra protective boots available in for a small to average woman’s foot size (say euro 36-40).  Even harder to find a vendor which stocked or would order the smaller size (for example, although the Sidi Vertebrae Corsa boots were listed online as available in sizes 38-XX, I was never able to find anyone who could get me a size 38).  This is a great option if you are going to do some serious riding and need all the protection you can get.  One more note...these are not women’s boots...they are cut for a man.  What does it matter?  A man’s ankle bones sit proportionately higher than a woman's; the distance from bottom of heel to ankle will be significantly smaller for a woman.  With all the armor and external devices on this boot, the heel cup will give you a right proper squeeze right on your ankle.  I used some fairly beefy heel inserts to raise my ankle up and all was fine.  (Besides the internal lifts make me feel like Dani Pedrosa)

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 09:17:58 AM by Grio » Logged

Little Biscuits!
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:37:54 PM »

Nice review Grio, thanks. waytogo

Could you tell us what US shoe size you wear and what size boots you got?

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
DoubleEagle

" If you are unafraid you will be safe "

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 10:35:48 PM »

I hear they tend to run narrow as apposed to some of the other popular brands like Apine*s, Sidi Vertigos Corsa Airs,and TCXs .

'08 Ducati 1098 R    '09 BMW K 1300 GT   '10 BMW S 1000 RR

Shortest sentence...." I am "   Longest sentence ... " I Do "
pnut

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 11:25:14 PM »

Grio, are you wearing the boots with your pants tucked into the neoprene inner boot or over the inner boot.  I tried to tuck the pants into th inner boot, but it was a pain.  I also tried wearing the pants over the inner boot, but it was close to impossible to zip the cuffs all the way down. 
Grio

Erzulie

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 07:01:59 AM »

I wear a US ladies 7.5 shoe...38 euro size fits me just fine.

I bought the Puma in a 39...In hind sight, I think the 38 would have worked fine.  But it is a bit of a shock getting in and out of this boot untill you get used to it.  You think to yourself: "there is no way..." but once you understand the boot, you can flay the whole outer shell apart.  I didn't quite grasp that untill I had a few moments alone with the things.

Once you are in, and get to moving around all is good.  I think there are enough adjustments between the inner bootie and the outer boot to accomodate some range.  As far as narrow, again, once on they don't seem particularly more narrow  in the toe/arch/foot than say Sidi.

I wear these with my leathers tucked in...with the neoprene bootie over the leathers.  You really get to  adjust how the outer boot fits.  I have found that adjustments to the ratchet stap and outter boot are easier when the shell is flayed out a little.  I wouldn't try to form fit the boot by pressing against your leg and ankle...doesn't work so well.

Little Biscuits!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: