Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 07:42:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me pick a dirt bike for my kid! - need QUICK opinions!  (Read 3828 times)
mcgalinmd

Where's that Ketchup? Tailight is waiting!

« on: July 16, 2008, 03:36:24 AM »

I am buying a dirt bike for my 13 year old daughter (ssshhh, it's a secret!) and i've got the option to buy one of the two:

1. $750/$775: 2000 Honda XR100R, new tires, brakes, chain less than one year old.  Only trail rode, not raced.  In pretty darn good condition.
2. $725: 2000 Yamaha TT-R 125, has no mechanical issues, but has been rode.  Everything works fine, needs nothing to run.  I would replace grips and levers.  Touch up spots where paint has been scraped off frame (from use, not stolen).

My daughter is 13, 5'5" tall.  She is NOT afraid (rides horses and the back of my Duc at 1@#$# MPH), knows where all the controls are, and would be taught by ME to ride (almost 20 years of riding experience; current MSF instructor for 6 years now).  We have two local, non-threatening places to go riding.  She's already rode my 1978 dirt bike about 3 years ago (at age 9) and starts out and stops quite fine.

I've read reviews, surfed the net, and still can't decide.  Does anyone have experience with either of these bikes?  Please help, i'm going to go look at both of these on TH or FR and need to purchase one.  The prices are good enough that neither will last long.  Thanks!!  waytogo

Can you imagine a world without a Ducati???  I think it's called Hell. Smiley
flanman

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 04:02:47 AM »

I have the ttr as a playbike. They make an aftermarket shock for older riders or more agressive riding. If she plans to stick with the bike for a while you might want to consider that. Its great to learn on and a good size, but once again she might outgrow it? i think the same is the case with the honda. If your just looking for a bike for the now that really shouldn't be a problem. Mines pretty quiet which is great for the neighbors. The only thing I wish i had got was the disk brake model. I think both are great bikes I know someone with a XR and he likes it, any bike is better than no bike at all so all the smaller points i pointed out really shouldn't sway your descision to much. great present for your daughter  waytogo

lazarus7

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 04:45:27 AM »

grew up on every kind of dirtbike imaginable...
honda's really were bulletproof;
ride 'em hard, put 'em away wet, you cant kill them...
in fact, my last dirtbike was an xr200r...Wink

"...the greatest artists indulge in a 'culpable rivalry' with God."     Stanislas Fumet
bulldogs2k

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 06:36:50 AM »

grew up on every kind of dirtbike imaginable...
honda's really were bulletproof;
ride 'em hard, put 'em away wet, you cant kill them...
in fact, my last dirtbike was an xr200r...Wink

Sweet!  My current dual sport (crf230L) is based of the xr200, and it is solid.  Damn thing gets 70mpg with my heavy ass and the bike is so simple to maintain.  It has a oil strainer so no need to change the filter, just clean the strainer, put it back in, and fill the bike with a quart of oil.  Not to mention I can hit the trails and do some great adv rides, also I can maintain 65 mph if I need to hit the Highway.  All it needs is a skid plate, hand guards, and a rear rack to lug some camping gear.  So my vote, Honda! waytogo   
JDS 07 S4Rs

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 06:58:18 AM »

Your going to be "Dad of the Month" I think either bike will be fine. My 13 Yr old son (same height as your daughter) Stepped up to the CRF 150R(big wheel ) from the XR100R. I am not sure if the 125  Yama is slightly taller then the Honda ? ?. If it is,,, I might be swaying towards th Yama.
On the other hand. The Honda could be sold quickly, if she needs to step up.

2007 S4RS
2007 1098S Salvage Title (that's it. NO MORE BIKES)
02 GSXR 750 Trackbike - Ins Write/off
06 ZX636R Trackbike  - Ins Write-off (I couldnt help it, the price was right)
2003 BMW 1150R
2004 450 YZ
&,,, a few others :-)
minnesotamonster

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 07:16:22 AM »

I owned a 2000 ttr-125. I got it new in 2001 and had it/rode it for about 3 years. Never had ana issue with it, always started, no leaks, etc.  It was a great bike, not too much power, and was loads of fun. I crashed it many times and never had any problems.  The only thing that kinda bugged me about it was it took awhile to warm up.  Which wasn't a big deal, but when you wanna ride you wanna ride  Smiley  I found if you shut the gas off between rides it would start much easier and warm up quicker...dunno why this was.  On the other hand I had ridden my cousin's xr100 a few times as well...not sure the year on that one.  It was pretty hard ridden and looked more abused than mine, but it ran well and I never had a problem when I rode it.  Either way it's a fun decision to have to make and I'm sure she will be happy either way Smiley   

go with the ttr....but I'm biased.

2004 S4R
1998 Honda F3 (Track)
2001 M600 (Now the Wife's)
livefastdiefun99

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 07:23:02 AM »

It depends on how involved your daughter wants to get into dirt bikes / motocross.  If she already has riding experience, either of those won't last long before she will want to step up. And being 5'5" at 13 already, she is going to continue to grow, and she will start to become to big for those bikes.  If she is just going to be putting it around the back yard, I would go for the ttr, and not worry about moving up.  However, if she shows commitment, and her riding skills start to improve, she may want to begin racing.  At that point I would suggest picking up a used 125cc 2-stroke.  She can start off in the C class, and depending on the area you are in, they may even have a womens/girls class.  If not she can race with the guys in the C class. There are a couple of girls in my area, that haul ass compared to some of the spodes in C class.

2009 Monster 696
2007 Kawasaki KX-250F
mcgalinmd

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 07:32:27 AM »

BTW, her dad has nothing to do with this....it's her mom (me) doing the buying and teaching.  LOL   Grin

Another ? for everyone: would she notice the difference in the 125 to the 100?  Also, if I want to ride it, i'm thinking the 125 would be better. Am I right?

I've thought about a 2 stroke, but for ease of maintenance, i'm heading the 4 stroke way for now.  If she really likes it, i'll definitely sell the bike and get a larger one.  I have a feeling that will happen quickly.  She's been bugging me for ages to "go riding".  Obviously can't let her ride on the street, although with a helmet on no one would be able to tell she's not 16.  I'm a law obiding citizen (sort of; not riding the monster though) so i'll not do that.

I am getting the hitch on the car on Friday, trailer needs rewiring but that's a snap.  She comes home from the beach on Friday....won't have the bike by then, but middle of next week.  Gear is on it's way.  Smiley

minnesotamonster

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 08:44:12 AM »

You are the coolest mom ever  Cheesy applause

2004 S4R
1998 Honda F3 (Track)
2001 M600 (Now the Wife's)
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 09:06:47 AM »

I bought my daughter a TT-R Yamaha 230 when she was 13, she's 15 now.  It has been an extraordinarily good motorcycle.  Same basic bike other than the engine size I think.

If you do decide to "move up" in the near term, I'd definitely consider the TT-R 230. It's got enough power and suspension to carry me (230#) and is very, very easy to control. I paid $3100 new for it.

You can create a monster here though. My little on (5' 9 1/2") is all over getting a Kaw Ninja 250. That ain't happing.

LA
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 09:11:29 AM by LA » Logged

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
mcgalinmd

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 10:55:14 AM »

My goal is to get her skills to go street riding with me in 3 years.  I want her to learn like I did - in the dirt.  Made me a MUCH better street rider IMHO.

I hate to say, I already told her i'd buy her a 250 something or other when she turns 16.  I think I might have made a mistake.  Embarrassed [moto]

gnostic203

Lost in Cyber Space

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 11:44:29 AM »

I agree with JDS 07 S4Rs on the CRF150 idea.  Personally I think the 100 will be good to learn on but if she sticks with it she'll out grow it in less than a year.  I bought my daughter a CRF70 when she was 7 and we finally just sold it, she's 12 now.  Her friend had a CRF100 at 10 and out grew it by 12.  It all depends on whether or not she enjoys the sport and sticks with it but I think the 150 will be more bang for your buck for a longer time.

Either way grats and you will have a blast with her, I always do with my daughter.
MendoDave
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 12:23:32 PM »

I dont think you could go wrong either way. Im more of a Honda Guy so I would ride red. But I had no problems with a Yami DT100 I used to own either. which shop is closer to the house?
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »

You are the coolest mom ever  Cheesy applause

+1 waytogo waytogo waytogo

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
mcgalinmd

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 05:07:14 PM »

Update: Just found a 2002 Yamaha TTR 125 70 miles closer to my house, in awesome condition, for only $75 dollars more!

The 2000 bike I was considering would need new grips and levers (must do fix), which by the time I buy the parts and install, i'm in it for about $50 in parts, $25 in time.  That's $75 alone, and the gas savings I have not having to drive 80 miles down and 80 miles back (at .58.5 cents a mile federal rate)...that's another $82 +/- savings.  the 2002 is located in the same town I work in, so I can just drive on over after work and get it.  Yippee!

It's looking more and more like the 2002 TTR!  Going to call the guy with the 2000 and say thanks but no thanks.  It's the 2002 yamaha or the 2000 Honda.

More to come....(cue the "and the world turns music")   cheeky

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: