Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 09, 2024, 05:39:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adjusting stock clutch lever  (Read 5134 times)
vaclav

« on: July 19, 2008, 08:21:16 AM »

I would like to bring my clutch lever in closer to the grip on my '07 S2R 1000. I noticed the threaded plunger and the set screw underneath. I am unable to budge that set screw with the amount of force I am comfortable applying. I am wondering if there is some epoxy or something in there. Has anyone been able to do this? How much force was involved?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 08:36:30 AM »

I would like to bring my clutch lever in closer to the grip on my '07 S2R 1000. I noticed the threaded plunger and the set screw underneath. I am unable to budge that set screw with the amount of force I am comfortable applying. I am wondering if there is some epoxy or something in there. Has anyone been able to do this? How much force was involved?
That screw is a bleed back adjustment...not a lever adjustment.

If you get it wrong your clutch will end up slipping.

I'd recommend adjustable levers to fix the issue.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Hedgehog

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 08:45:21 AM »

Like Ducpainter says, it's sealed for a reason.  Leave it alone or pay the price.  You especially DO NOT want to touch that screw on the brake lever.  Buy a set of adjustable levers.
Wanwo

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 08:46:45 AM »

I have a set of these.

http://www.constructorsrg.com/levers/index.html

As much adjustability as you'd ever need. The maximum wide setting is similar to what you get with the stock Brembos.
vaclav

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 09:00:10 AM »

Thanks for the the quick replies! I wonder if we are talking about the same thing. The screw I am looking at is part of the clutch lever assembly not the master cylinder. It has a conical plunger on the end that actuates the master cylinder but is not mechanically attached to the master cylinder. It is screwed into the clutch lever. There is a tiny set screw that holds the position. If we are discussing the same part, I take it you are saying that by adjusting that screw I would affect where the master cylinder piston rests inside its housing? Does the piston not have its own stop machined into the master cylinder?
Hedgehog

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 09:07:12 AM »

Thanks for the the quick replies! I wonder if we are talking about the same thing. The screw I am looking at is part of the clutch lever assembly not the master cylinder. It has a conical plunger on the end that actuates the master cylinder but is not mechanically attached to the master cylinder. It is screwed into the clutch lever. There is a tiny set screw that holds the position. If we are discussing the same part, I take it you are saying that by adjusting that screw I would affect where the master cylinder piston rests inside its housing? Does the piston not have its own stop machined into the master cylinder?

Let me say this one more time.  Do not adjust that screw.
vaclav

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 11:47:31 AM »

Point taken. waytogo  Can someone indulge me and explain, from a mechanical standpoint, why this position must be so precise?  I'm sorry but my type "C" personality prohibits me from simply accepting without understanding. Grin   I can see that backing it out too far could possibly prevent the clutch from releasing when you pull the lever or screwing it in too far could make the clutch slip constantly and maybe cause a bind in the master cylinder when you actually pull the lever. Is there more to it than that? Is it a matter of tenths or a matter of thousandths?
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 12:11:34 PM »

I have the coffin style reservoirs, but FWIW:
When I installed my CRGs I had to turn the similar screw about 1.5 turns for it even to connect with the push rod. No set screw there.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »

Point taken. waytogo  Can someone indulge me and explain, from a mechanical standpoint, why this position must be so precise?  I'm sorry but my type "C" personality prohibits me from simply accepting without understanding. Grin   I can see that backing it out too far could possibly prevent the clutch from releasing when you pull the lever or screwing it in too far could make the clutch slip constantly and maybe cause a bind in the master cylinder when you actually pull the lever. Is there more to it than that? Is it a matter of tenths or a matter of thousandths?

It's actually a reverse situation.

The screw controls the return of the piston in the clutch master.

There is a hole in the assembly that allows the return of fluid to the master.

If you adjust the screw and prevent the return of fluid when the slave heats up due to engine heat there is no place for the expanded fluid to go. The clutch will then start to slip because the slave piston has to move to accommodate the larger volume of fluid.

You can adjust it to a point.

It's just not that much.

The other downside to using that screw is you reduce the amount of fluid moved and can cause clutch drag making neutral difficult to find.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: