Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 15, 2024, 04:54:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommended Reading  (Read 8134 times)
dcal

« on: May 07, 2008, 06:54:15 PM »

Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques -  Lee Parks
A Twist of the Wrist II - Keith Code
Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well - David L. Hough

eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 06:56:34 PM »

+1 on Twist of the Wrist. Haven't read the others, yet.

"Health!   The open sesame to the sucker's purse."
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 07:16:22 PM »

+1 on Proficient Motorcycling

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
caffeinejunkee

'07 M695--sold; red '96 900SS CR; '04 Busa--sold

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 10:06:45 PM »

Great titles  wt:

Have not read it yet, but there is a part II to Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well - David L. Hough
jagstang

Ramming speed...

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 12:09:15 AM »

Total Control is a great place to start, TOTW II was way better than one

'09 1100
Spider
Ozmonsters: degenerating nicely since 2008

I may be long, but I fold up nicely

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 02:40:51 AM »

Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch

I found it to be very informative. read, ride, read and repeat!

+1 for Parks and Hough too!
Jaman

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 06:13:14 AM »

Sportbiking: The Real World by Gary Jaehne

Nothing earth shattering, but a good, simple book, with some good stuff on riding in the wet...
SKOM

Upside Down Canuck

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 07:09:05 AM »

+1 on Total Control

It's even got pictures  wt:

"Die gefährlichste Weltanschauung ist die Weltanschauung derer, die die Welt nie angeschaut haben."
— Alexander Von Humboldt
johnster

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 07:51:24 AM »

Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques -  Lee Parks
A Twist of the Wrist II - Keith Code
Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well - David L. Hough

I've read all 3....Code and Parks have 2 different approaches to the same thing more or less, but I like Lee Parks' book especially...I feel like it's more accessible to those who want to learn good cornering technique, but may not necesarily know much about it....I also really like his chapter on how one's fear of something can actually translate into a negative result (ie: crashing)...Keith Code's book, IMO, is more geared for those who can already proficiently ride a spotbike, but want to to so at a higher skill level.....

Both "required reading" IMHO for those who want to get the most out of their bikes!!  wt:

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
b_lack

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 10:34:12 AM »

If you guys are going to recommend a book, can you include one sentence about it so we know why (or for what aspect of riding) you're recommending the book? Otherwise, if I haven't heard of them, I have to go with a list to the bookstore and pull out all of them in order to figure out which one covers the kind of topics I desire to read about.
DesmoDiva

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 11:13:07 AM »

I've read all 3....Code and Parks have 2 different approaches to the same thing more or less, but I like Lee Parks' book especially...I feel like it's more accessible to those who want to learn good cornering technique, but may not necesarily know much about it....I also really like his chapter on how one's fear of something can actually translate into a negative result (ie: crashing)...Keith Code's book, IMO, is more geared for those who can already proficiently ride a spotbike, but want to to so at a higher skill level.....

Both "required reading" IMHO for those who want to get the most out of their bikes!!  wt:

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Both great books, but read differently.

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
ducati_steve

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 10:50:57 AM »

+1 on Total Control by Parks.

'05 M620
GPR Titanium Oval High Mounts, Open Airbox, 14T, Matris M2 Steering Damper, Sargent Seat, Tommaselli Clip-Ons, Third Eye Mirrors, Pazzo Shorty Levers, Tailchop, emissions removal
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 12:46:59 PM »

While we're doing book reviews, one that didn't do as much for me: Ride Hard, Ride Smart by Pat Hahn.  While he starts out with some pretty insightful analysis of the Hurt report, the balance of the book starts to wander quite a bit, and his writing style -- LOTS of rhetorical questions, sometimes a couple a paragraph, just got to me after a while and made it harder to pick out the useful bits here and there.  Pictures are good, though, and sometimes kind of funny.

Another +1 on Total Control. Even I could understand it!

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Ducatiloo

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 12:50:35 PM »

+1 on A Twist of the Wrist II  I was able to put the reading to practical user very easily.

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 05:53:11 AM »

I've read A Twist Of The Wrist II twice now, having just finished it for the second time a few weeks ago.  Even though it's much more street oriented than book 1, it's still mostly information you'll need for the track.  It makes the assumption that you're trying to go as fast as possible and push your bike close to its limits.  There are good hints in there about how to be smooth, but there are several other books I would have to recommend that you read first.

The book that had the biggest influence over my riding was Proficient Motorcycling by David L. Hough.  That is the one that really explained why the delayed apex turn is the way to go on the street and that is the one that caused me to change the way I ride.  I no long have what Keith Code calls "survival reactions" because I've learned to get all of my braking done before entering a turn, enter the turn from the outside of the lane, and finish it off at the inside while giving the bike a bit of throttle.  There are a lot of other great hints in that book to make you a safer rider.  I would also strongly recommend his second book, More Proficient Motorcycling which has additional good information.

I also recommend Total Control by Lee Parks before the Keith Code books.  It has some great advice in it and has exercises to go try in most of the chapters.  It's the kind of book where you should read a chapter then go ride and try out whatever that chapter is trying to teach.  It's written for motorcycles of all types, but is still a bit biased towards sport bikes.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: