Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 02:58:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S2R 800 rev counter repair(?) w/pics  (Read 12276 times)
DarkDucati

il mostro scuro

« on: May 07, 2008, 07:41:24 PM »

Did this quite some time ago and have since opened up the instrument panel several more times.  First time was to “fix” the stock (2006) rev meter/RPM needle that had become off by a little at first, then gradually worked its way around the dial to the other side.  Below are the pics and notes from cracking open the panel and what I found the first time.  I’ve read about a number of other people having the same issue, but don’t know if it’s specific to certain years or models.  Since then, months later, it started to roam again and ultimately the needle completely popped out and fell to the bottom (kinda funny).  I opened it up again and popped it back on, set it to zero, and it’s working again but who knows for how long.  It’s past warranty now so I’m just living with it until I find something cool to replace the stock unit, but FWIW I was told by a dealership mechanic afterwards that technically it’s a “problem” if I admit to doing this and then ask them to replace it under warranty, so keep quiet about it if you do stuff like this under warranty or at least don't mention it to the dealership.  Wink

Original write up...
Opened up the instrument panel to correct a rev counter gone rogue. It’s been working for 4 rides post fix, but am not certain what action actually fixed it, or if it will last.  All I really did was to turn the needle back around to 0. Pretty technical eh?!

Rev counter needle started moving counter clockwise one day and ended up pointing straight down, and eventually 11 became the new 0. Not wanting to replace it and lose my mileage count, I figured I’d give surgery a try first. Cuz it's fun to DIY right?

First remove the two allen head screws(?) that mount the panel.

Next unplug the main wiring harness connector, circled on left. The other two items circled are the threaded parts from under the allen head screws(?) removed above. Sorry, not sure of the technical term for those dealios.  BTW, I did this with the battery attached as normal, no key in ignition, no problems, no mileage count lost, no worries.

This frees the entire instrument panel. Next remove the middle part of the panel which is held on at the bottom by one small screw (circled), and at the top it snaps over two raised bits/tabs (for lack of tech terms here). When you put it back, you can hear the part SNAP/CLICK into place.

Screw at the bottom

With the middle cover off, you can now remove the screw in the middle. This was a torx bit actually. 

Next remove one screw from each side on the back.

Next remove the top cover that holds the clear lens on each side, but note the two tabs (one on each side) next photo circled in yellow.

You can either use a screw driver to push in on each one to un-latch them, or you can just push inwards on one side at a time and lift up from side to side. 
Now you’ve got this.

Note the rubber gasket around the edge. For me this gasket didn’t seem to be glued and I didn’t end up removing it by itself.  Similar to the previous step, I pushed inwards on each side of the gasket and wiggled it out still attached to the inner part (whatever you call that). 

So, note the yellow circled part in the previous pic. You can see the main white board and the surrounding tabs that hold it down. In my case, the circled part of the main board was popped out of the tab, so I had to push it back down.  Did that correct anything, who knows? Maybe it put the needle back in contact with the rest of the board? Couldn’t see.

Here’s a pic of the base for kicks.

Here’s a pic of the back side.

Here is a close-up of the rev counter side. See the circled part marked L for left? That same bit of plastic on the right was broken off. When I first opened it all up, that piece fell out, and was the cause of the rattle when I first took off the entire unit. I have no idea what its function is though, or if it mattered.

Lastly, I moved the rev counter needle back to zero (I turned it counter clockwise for what it’s worth).

Put it all back together and plugged it back in and turned it on…MAGIC, it did the usual instrument check and went from 0 to 11 and back to dead on 0.
I’ve put a few hundred more miles on it and so far it’s still working fine. Have no idea what made it work again technically. Maybe I just released a few demons. 

Hope this helps someone else.

-Brian
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 07:15:45 PM by DarkDucati » Logged

Current ride - Triumph Thruxton (don't hate, Ducs still #1)
2008 848 - R.I.P. (by delivery truck)
2006 S2R 800 Dark - SOLD
2006 Triumph Bonneville - SOLD
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 02:23:32 PM »

Any idea if one could remove those needles, print their own gauge backgrounds or change the lights?

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
DarkDucati

il mostro scuro

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 06:37:58 PM »

Any idea if one could remove those needles, print their own gauge backgrounds or change the lights?

Re: the needles, if you look at the last image above at the crudely drawn yellow circle, the needle and that center circular plastic part are what popped off after spinning around. That said, I would think you could just as easily pop them off on purpose to replace. 

As for the background, the white part with numbers seems like it would come off easy as well or you could always lay something over it.

As for lights, not sure what or which ones you have in mind, but the backside where the circuit board(?) is, was closed up just a couple screws and those side tabs so in theory you could also take that apart to get to light related items, but who know what's attached to what underneath or what might get damaged in trying to take it off.  Good luck if you try it.

2006 S2R 800 Dark - SOLD
toaster

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 01:05:29 PM »

something to think about when doing this, pull the needle off, and put something on it to make it stay in place on the pin once you put it back together.  i have had a problem with mine since i got new gauges and i have about 5k miles without a working tach.  at one point, before the last time, my tach needle was laying on bottom of the gauge and the speedo pointed straight back at the tank when i was sitting still.  when i did mine, i put a drop of locktite on the back of the needle before i slipped it back onto the pin.
Heath

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:34:21 AM »

The needles are glued on and can be removed
If I remember correctly the background has a couple spots were it is melted on to the surface.  Like a plastic post then melted so it stays put.
Changing the lights are possible if you know how to work with SMD LEDs.  Very small LEDs

2006 s2r800 board

Here is a high resolution picture of the same board.
The file is 3.9MB  3888 x 2592 pixels
Right Click > Save Link As...

http://www.bluegauges.com/  will change out the LED's for you for $65 + cost to ship it to them.  There is a sample pic on their site of a 620. The owner was a member of TOB.  I meant to do this during the winter but never got around to it.

Oh and nice write up DarkDucati  waytogo
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 12:39:52 AM by Heath » Logged

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
DarkDucati

il mostro scuro

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 12:31:39 PM »

wow, nice high res pic of the board!  I may just have to take mine further apart after all... Smiley

2006 S2R 800 Dark - SOLD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: