Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 05:21:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Install Rear Shock on S2R  (Read 10659 times)
CairnsDuc
« on: August 09, 2008, 12:24:28 AM »

G'day All

Well today my New Ohlins Rear shock arrived, and I was going to get my Dealer to fit it, But, I got bored and decided to have a go on how to fit it myself.  So here we go..

Make sure you have some quality stands to ensure there is little to no chance of the bike falling over and being damaged or worse falling on you and damaging you.

Also Ensure you have a way of supporting the weight of the Rear of the bike while you have the shock out, as your rear stand is only there to keep things stable, the Jack (as shown) is supporting the weight of the back of the Bike. The Cloth is to protect the bottom of the Engine.

Remove the Voltage regulator and dangle over the side of the bike, Also remove the Side plastic decorative panels (gives you more room to move, not removed in this pic)
PS: Ignore all the small Black wires, they are for the LED system as seen elsewhere on the DMF.

Remove the Emissions Canister, I marked the Pipes (there are only 2 on my 07 model) So when I put the Canister back in I knew where they go.

Now,
Remove the bolts for the rear brake master cylinder,
Then unclick the spring from the back of the rear brake Pedal, (You can see it in the bottom left of the photo, just above my finger)
Remove the rubber grommet/Bung from the Swingarm,
I then swung the brake pedal down and the Master Cylinder up so I could remove the Pin from there connection point.

#NOTE# Tie some thin string around the Pin, as you remove it will have to go part way into the swingarm lower shock access hole to give you enough clearance to remove it (long nose pliers help here), if you drop it in the swingarm, you will have a pregnant dog of time retrieving it.  bang head (And no, it didn't happen to me)

The Brake pedal will want to swing up in your way, so use a little piece of electrical tape to hold it out of your way.

Using the floor Jack take the weight from the rear stand, just enough that the bolt should be easy to turn and remove from the top of the rear shock. Leave the Rear stand on the Bike! Just in case the bike should slide off the jack, The rear stand is still in place to make sure the bike does not topple over.

Now, allowing that the Swing Arm is hollow, I was strongly advised to tape all Sockets and Hex drivers to ensure they can't fall off inside the swingarm. Also wrap a single layer of Electrical tape around the hex end going into the bolt, as the bolt is about 40mm inside the arm, the electrical tape will ensure a tight fit and very little chance of the bolt falling off the hex driver.

Picture of driver extension in the swingarm, I would suggest supporting the weight of the shock, this will make it easier to loosen and remove the lower shock bolt. (This photo was taken during reassembly with the Ohlins in place, but the Idea is the same)

Picture of the Lower Shock Bolt removed (Not a bad Idea to give a clean and polish while it's out)

Finally, Lift out old Shock, and install new Shock and Put it all back together.
To make life easier, secure the shock base first, then, using the jack, you can raise and lower the bike to ensure the Top Shock bolt will just slide in very easily.

And here is the finished Item, Much better than the Showa, the rear of the bike feels much better and it handles the lumps and bumps on the road much better. The Ohlins is an Awesome shock.

Hope this Helps!  [moto]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 01:47:05 PM by CairnsDuc » Logged
DUKE888

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 03:13:50 AM »

Was that the Ohlin's 46DR?
OwnyTony

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 07:41:08 AM »

I used an A frame ladder to support the rear.  I put the bike in between the ladder legs, used a ratcheting tie-down strap secured on the top steps of the ladder and through the passenger grips (on back of bike). 

Just make sure that you dont use a ladder or use a ladder properly when you change your chain.
Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 08:43:29 AM »

I have one of these stands, much safer than jacks (and ladders).

http://www.abbastands.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=1

Capo de tuti capi
OwnyTony

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 10:05:32 AM »

I have one of these stands, much safer than jacks (and ladders).

http://www.abbastands.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=1

Im guessing you would put the pins where you would normally put frame sliders through?
Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 01:14:41 PM »

No it fits to the swingarm pivot nuts.

Capo de tuti capi
CairnsDuc
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »

Was that the Ohlin's 46DR?

The Style is referred to as a 46DR, it's model number DU321 to suit the S2R 800 (05 Model) For some reason Ohlins claim it will not fit the 07 Model, And after a few Emails to Ohlins USA, I never received a clear answer as to why they would think that. It fits fine, lots of clearance around all the parts.
Ohlins 46DR = Emulsion Shock Absorber, meaning The oil and Gas are mixed in the Shock Body

The Bike is on both front and rear Stands, If you check the first photo, you will notice I have a rear stand to suit the SSS, The jack is only there to take the weight of the rear bike when you need to unbolt and remove and reinstall the shock.
The SSS stand is in place at all times to ensure the bike is stable and secure, and as Insurance incase the Jack collapsed the bike would drop down to the rear suspension stops with the SSS Stand holding it upright.

The Jack was only in place to take weight off the rear stand, at no time was it relied upon to hold the bike upright or to keep it stable. At no time did it feel unsafe or unstable.

Ya gotta work with what ya got!  waytogo
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 02:28:12 PM by CairnsDuc » Logged
aaronb

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 02:36:17 PM »

there a reservoir on that shock?  and if you don't mind saying, how much?

Milwaukee, WI
'07 s2r1k, '81 honda cb400t
CairnsDuc
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 02:55:38 PM »

No, external parts on the 46DR body type, The Ohlins with the External reservoir has a "H" in the Model number.

Big Cheezy Grins all round  Grin
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 01:48:11 PM by CairnsDuc » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: