Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 10:54:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 776   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 1068088 times)
Pip
BRRAAAAIIINNNNSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

ROLL TIDE

« Reply #1725 on: March 31, 2010, 04:10:19 PM »

The Heart Asks Pleasure First - Micheal Nyman
Molly on the Shore - Grainger
The Planets; and First Suite in Eb and Second Suite in F - Gustav Holst

"You can fight a lot of enemies and survive, but not your biology."

Wouldn't fat air be easier to disappear into?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1726 on: March 31, 2010, 04:15:11 PM »

Superman...3 Doors Down.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

NoisyDante
I am Jack's

« Reply #1727 on: March 31, 2010, 04:52:39 PM »

Midtown - "Become What You Hate"
Metallica - "Fuel" and "Turn the Page"
Straylight Run - "Hands in the Sky (Big Shot)"
Porcupine Tree - "Blackest Eyes"
Glassjaw - "Tip Your Bartender"
Further Seems Forever - "The Moon is Down"
Franz Schubert - "Unfinished Symphony"

'07 695 Dark - Quat-D Ex Box exhaust, gold S4 forks, Woodcraft Clipons, CRG levers, KTM headlight, Motodynamics taillight, 14t sprocket, CRG LS mirrors, flamethrower, the usual refinements.  * struck down by a hippie in a Prius on September 22nd, 2010.
NoisyDante
I am Jack's

« Reply #1728 on: March 31, 2010, 04:53:49 PM »

Ok so I am a music Major . . .

What school?  I went to Berklee, class of '06

'07 695 Dark - Quat-D Ex Box exhaust, gold S4 forks, Woodcraft Clipons, CRG levers, KTM headlight, Motodynamics taillight, 14t sprocket, CRG LS mirrors, flamethrower, the usual refinements.  * struck down by a hippie in a Prius on September 22nd, 2010.
bicunica

« Reply #1729 on: March 31, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »

Mahler, Richard Strauss and most of the 20th century russians are some of my favorite composers.
I do play classical music for a living so I'm a bit bias.
Pip
BRRAAAAIIINNNNSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

ROLL TIDE

« Reply #1730 on: March 31, 2010, 05:03:49 PM »

Glassjaw - "Tip Your Bartender"

WELL DONE!

The hidden track attached to "Motel of the White Locust" is one of my all time faves, as is "When 1 Eight becomes 2 Zeros".

/threadjack

"You can fight a lot of enemies and survive, but not your biology."

Wouldn't fat air be easier to disappear into?
duc_poultry

« Reply #1731 on: March 31, 2010, 05:37:39 PM »

What school?  I went to Berklee, class of '06

I just finished up my four year plan at community college now I am off to CLU.

2001 M750 "Dolly"
brix821

« Reply #1732 on: March 31, 2010, 05:41:45 PM »

Micheal franti and spearhead

GUNS OF BRIXTON
DoubleEagle

" If you are unafraid you will be safe "

« Reply #1733 on: March 31, 2010, 05:42:37 PM »

One of my FAVORITES !

Dolph    Smiley Smiley

'08 Ducati 1098 R    '09 BMW K 1300 GT   '10 BMW S 1000 RR

Shortest sentence...." I am "   Longest sentence ... " I Do "
NoisyDante
I am Jack's

« Reply #1734 on: March 31, 2010, 05:44:34 PM »

I just finished up my four year plan at community college now I am off to CLU.
waytogo

triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #1735 on: March 31, 2010, 05:45:10 PM »

There's an adagio section in Dvořák's Symphony on the New World (If I remember correctly, it first appears as an oboe solo but is taken up by the whole orchestra) that always makes me feel wistful, sad & nostalgic -- in a good way. Pachabel's Canon in D Major has the same effect on me.

Probably the most inspirational tune for me, though, has been Dropkick Murphy's "The Gauntlet" -- back in my bicycle racing days, I'd play it loud while warming up, and I had a line from the chorus taped to my stem, right where my panting, wheezing face would be hanging when I really wanted to quit: "Stand up and FIGHT, and I'll stand up with you"

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
SacDuc

WWSDD?

« Reply #1736 on: March 31, 2010, 05:48:45 PM »

Superman...3 Doors Down.

Harumph.  Angry  I thought we didn't need another music thread.

sac

/as usual -------->  Tongue and  Grin  and   Kiss

HATERS GONNA HATE.
Monster Dave

« Reply #1737 on: March 31, 2010, 06:00:16 PM »

Ironically I recently stumbled across a musician that I had completly forgot about. His story is what I find to be inspiring, his music was a great accomplishment from many perspectives; so ultimatly the achievement of the man and his music being the result of overcoming serious odds against him is truly inspiring to me.

Long live the music and memory of John Paul Larkin aka Scatman John

Scatman John: Scatman 720p (HD)

Bio:

John Paul Larkin (March 13, 1942 – December 3, 1999), better known by his stage name Scatman John, was an American jazz musician and singer who created a fusion of scat singing and dance music, best known for his 1994 hit "Scatman (Ski Ba Bop Ba Dop Bop)".

A stutterer, John liked to say scatting was a process of "turning my biggest problem into my biggest asset". Scatman John sold millions of recordings worldwide and was named "Best New Artist" in the Echo Awards in both Japan and Germany. He was a recipient of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association's Annie Glenn Award for outstanding service to the stuttering community and National Stuttering Association Hall of Fame.

Born in El Monte, California, Larkin suffered from a severe stutter "since [he] started talking," which led to an emotionally traumatic childhood. Even at the peak of his success in 1995, journalists reported that during interviews he "hardly finishes a sentence without repeating the phrase at least six or seven times." At age 12 he began to learn piano, and was introduced to the art of scat singing at 14 through records by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, amongst others. The piano provided him with a means of artistic expression to compensate for his speech difficulties. He remarked in a 1996 interview that "playing piano gave me a way to speak... I hid behind the piano because I was scared of talking."

Larkin became a professional jazz pianist in the 1970s and '80s, playing many gigs in jazz clubs around Los Angeles. In 1986, he released the self-titled album John Larkin on the Transition label, copies of which are now extremely rare. He claimed to have "hundreds of them lying around in [his] closet at home". Around this time, alcoholism and drug addiction were also beginning to take a hold of his life. When fellow musician and friend Joe Farrell, who also had a drug problem, died of bone cancer in 1986, Larkin decided to beat his habits. He eventually did so, largely with the help of his new wife Judy, also a recovering alcoholic. "You have talent," she told him. "I'm going to make something out of you."

Birth of "Scatman John":
To advance his career in 1990, Larkin moved to Berlin, Germany. From there he discovered the appreciative jazz culture and started playing jazz gigs.[1] Here he decided to add singing to his act for the first time, inspired by the standing ovation he received for his rendition of the song "On the Sunny Side of the Street." Soon after, his agent Manfred Zähringer from Iceberg Records in Denmark thought of combining scat-singing with modern dance music and hip hop sounds. Larkin was resistant at first but BMG Hamburg was open.

Larkin was mainly scared that listeners would realize he stuttered, so Judy suggested that he talk about it directly in his music. Working with dance producers Ingo Kays and Tony Catania, he recorded the first single, "Scatman (Ski Ba Bop Ba Dop Bop)," a song intended to inspire children who stuttered to overcome adversity. He adopted the new name and persona of Scatman John.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:06:11 PM by Monster Dave » Logged
DoubleEagle

" If you are unafraid you will be safe "

« Reply #1738 on: March 31, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »

Roy Buchanan - Sweet Dreams - 1973

'08 Ducati 1098 R    '09 BMW K 1300 GT   '10 BMW S 1000 RR

Shortest sentence...." I am "   Longest sentence ... " I Do "
Bun-bun

2002 M620 Dark ie

« Reply #1739 on: March 31, 2010, 06:03:42 PM »

Anais Mitchell "Why we build the wall" and "Wedding song"

Both songs from the CD Hadestown. A folk singer, which is usually enough to send me running to flip the channel, but not in this case
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:09:19 PM by Bun-bun » Logged

"A fanatic is a man who does what he knows God would do, if only god had all the facts of the matter" S.M. Stirling
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 776   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: