Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 06:59:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leaking vent/overflow hose?  (Read 3450 times)
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« on: May 08, 2008, 02:09:59 PM »

Leaking vent/overflow hose after I detailed the bike, rerouted the hose!, and filled up the bike.  Did I tug it to hard or something?  Anybody have any experience?  Leaking from hose not around it.  I tried opening and closing the cap, but no luck.  '01 m900

Thanks guys !

M-ROCin' it!!!
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 02:24:12 PM »

Leaking vent/overflow hose after I detailed the bike, rerouted the hose!, and filled up the bike.  Did I tug it to hard or something?  Anybody have any experience?  Leaking from hose not around it.  I tried opening and closing the cap, but no luck.  '01 m900

Thanks guys !
I'm not following.

The hose is supposed to drip excess out the end.

If it's dripping out of the hose constantly it's more likely a cracked hose inside the tank, and not related to the detailing.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 02:28:58 PM »

You may have just filled up too high, especially if you filled it up right before you stopped the bike.

The Gasoline expands as it's heated up by the motor, and can then get puked out if the level gets up too high.

Or, your vent or overflow hose may have split or come unhooked inside the tank.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 01:02:38 PM »

Thanks ducpainter, speeddog.......I have had it pinched and plugged since I discovered it.  I filled up after riding for maybe 15 min., long enough to get the engine warm.  It was nearly empty(27 mi. after light came on...I have done 30mi before and I have also pushed it twice in full gear, not fun!) I stopped for an hour to eat. Did not notice any fuel on the ground at startup, rode 15 min. back, filled up at the pump 4.56 gal and was careful not to overfill.  I thought it was strange b/c the '01 model is rated at 4.2gal and the maximum I have put in after running it dry is 4.3gal.   I did notice a wet spot the size of a large pizza under the bike before I pulled off.  The "spider sense" was going off, but I brushed it off thinking it was from a previous car or water.  I am hoping I didnt pull the hose loose inside the tank but I will check this afternoon.  Whats the advice if I do have to replace?  Can I reach inside or do I have to remove the tank to get to it?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 01:05:12 PM by BastrdHK » Logged

M-ROCin' it!!!
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 01:40:48 PM »

On the injected bikes the overflow and vent are connected to the cap by two short lengths of fuel hose. They are known to split allowing fuel from the tank to leak out the o/flow, or vent.

Nothing you did, but you'll have to remove the cap and 'bung' to repair it.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: