Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 02:05:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 748 Track Bike  (Read 7622 times)
Alick

« on: May 08, 2008, 02:58:11 PM »

I did also post this on the "old" site.  So I apologize for being disloyal, just wanted as many responses as possible.

Hey everyone,
I have been riding a 620 Monster for a few years now. I have taken it to the track a couple of times, and done 3 Keith Codes. So, I been on the track a total of 5 times. And yes, I totally loved it.

So here is my problem. I can't afford to have 2 motorcycles, and I want to do more track and less street this year. I know I "should" get an SV and all: more affordable, crashes cheaper, maint, blah blah blah... it's just I don't get excited about riding them. And to be honest, wouldn't really want to go street riding with one either. (I know I'm a snob. Albeit a poor one.) (I'm also not into the look of the latest Ducati supersports.)

The 748 on the other hand totally blows my mind. Am I nuts to get one as a track bike? I'm not really into racing, as I do need to be able to "walk" for my job, LOL, but just learning and having fun on track days.

I guess it puts out close to 94HP versus the 71HP of the SV650. Would that be an impediment towards learning corner speed? Am I going to highside myself?

I do like being able to go WOT on my 620 Monster coming out of turns while the 600's are obviously hesitant to.

A decent track setup SV is around $5k. A 748 seems around $6k.

Hmm.

Did I mention how cool they sound? LOL.
TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 04:19:44 PM »

I did also post this on the "old" site.  So I apologize for being disloyal, just wanted as many responses as possible.
BLASPHEMY! haha j/k  wt:

Well on to your topic, I also intend to use my 748 as a track bike soon (although probably full time). When you say "track setup" what are you thinking? Extra plastics and such?

I'm probably going to be getting some plastics made and painted, guy on BARF quoted me $1000 bucks for some simple paint and full plastics. Then although i don't plan to race I'm going to be safety wiring everything, as well as getting some frame sliders, but probably ones that go under the plastics. At that point it's getting the suspension set up decently, and lucky for me we have a resident suspension guru in the MOB.

With that said, the SBK is going to be more maintenance for sure then the SV as well as probably more fuel. So SBK and cheap track bike probably aren't good combos.

The extra power might make you lazy since you'll be able to make up time in the straights instead of having to learn to take the corners better. That might just be up to the rider too..

I know what you're saying though the 748's are hot bikes, but if I had the $$ I'd be tracking the 848 Cheesy
tufty

Where did my money go?

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 04:01:54 AM »

but if I had the $$ I'd be tracking the 848 Cheesy

Ahem! did someone mention tracking an 848? Look left my good man.

As far as a 748 on the track, I personally think Ducatis more than any other bike deserve to be on a track, it's what they're made for. Damn the torpedoes!
TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 05:26:44 AM »

As far as a 748 on the track, I personally think Ducatis more than any other bike deserve to be on a track, it's what they're made for. Damn the torpedoes!
Yeah so my jealousy meter is currently stuck on high  Cry
sqweak
WebGeeK

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 07:13:05 PM »

Hi Alick,

Here's my humble and admittedly biased opinion Wink

I have been through just 1 level of Code, but it was enough to ignite the addiction and I just did my 2nd track day in under a week on my recently acquired track SV.  I got a very nicely prepped bike for ~3k.  5k is the high side of a track/race SV, while 6k is on the low end of 748.  You'll _easily_ spend another couple grand setting up a 748 for the track, while the SV should already be ready at that price.  Spares, mods, etc will be cheaper on the SV. etc etc etc.  I know you've heard it all, and I can feel you about not having the spark for the street.  Save your money, wait for end of race/track/season this fall and get a steal on a bike (like i lucked into Grin) and have the best of both worlds: a duc for the streets, and a SV for the track wt:  This will also help to detach you emotionally from what you're riding, allowing you to make progress you wouldn't otherwise be able to if you were crippled by the fear of wadding up your baby.

2007 S4R-T (street)
Black CRG Hindsight LS, Black CRG Roll-A-Click Levers, Black Rizoma Conical Handlebars, DP Open Airbox, Clear Alternatives Integrated LED Brakelight w/ Smoke Lens, Removed: Chopped (w/ Cookie's kit), Sidepods & Wiring relocated, Passenger pegs, Stickers

2001 Suzuki SV650 (track)
darylbowden
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 09:17:40 PM »

Here's the thing...  I wouldn't recommend a 748 for the track 'cause (don't shoot me) they're not that great.  Compared to anything else in its class they're heavy, underpowered, giant and uncomfortable.  I had a 748 as recently as 4 months ago.  I bought it for nostalgia more than anything it turns out when I went to the track and rung my '01 GSXR 600's neck, it was sooooo much better in every way.  The 748 is a beautiful motorcycle, it sounds great, but frankly, just isn't practical for much of anything anymore (IMO).  A 749?  I liked it much more on the track (til some bastard stole it), but I would still choose a Jap 600 or a 675 over one for track duty any day.
fasterblkduc

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 05:10:11 AM »

I agree 100% with these guys. It's not a great trackbike compared to what you can get for so much cheaper. Yeah it's nice looking but what they said is right and I'll add something else...if you want to improve your skills faster, don't get a 748. Ducati superbikes are not great for learning cornerspeed. They feel like they weigh 800lbs. and turn in real slow which forces you to muscle them in hard.
I went that route at first and started doing trackdays on my 996. I thought it was great until I rode something else on the track. At that moment, I realized that everything previous taught me little to nothing. You're learning curve will be steeper on something else and you won't have the emotional attachment that will make it really painful when you crash it. And you WILL crash it! Plus, getting passed by all the other bikes will really start to frustrate you.

I have a friend that bought a 748 for trackdays and was having fun on it until one day last year...I let him ride my 600rr. When he got off the track and pulled his helmet off, he had a smile ear to ear that he could not get rid of. He said that it was amazing and swore that he was selling his 748 immediately...I think it's still for sale if you want it laughingdp

I would really recommend NOT getting something for track use that you are emotionally attached to. Unless you have tons of cash then sure, why not.

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
fasterblkduc

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 05:18:16 AM »

Nice bike Tufty. I rode one recently. Out of all the Ducs I've ridden, (track and street) I think this is the first one that can give the middleweights competition in the cornering dept. It really felt great waytogo

Atomic Racing
2010 partners:
Alick

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 08:05:31 AM »

Lol, well, you are all about 24 hours too late!  Auction has ended my friends, and I should be getting my 748s on tuesday.

Basically, my situation, living in NYC, allows for only one bike at a time.  So this heavily influenced my decision to have a streetbike I love too.

Fasterbikduc, I'm curious about your cornerspeed comment.  If it were "harder" on a 748 wouldn't I eventually get better than on an "easier" bike?  Are you just saying it will be harder for me to get there?

Lots of owners say, that yes, it does need quite a push into the corner, but once there, it is so stable, you can fire out of it.

Any advice on what I should do before I track her?

Was told a cheap banged up tank and some used track plastics are a good start.

Do sliders under the fairings really save anything?

Thanks for the replies guys!  I didn't get a one on the "old site."

Also, I have wanted a Ducati Superbike since I was about 12.  LOL.

I have to say, it is kinda funny how spoiled everyone is with bikes these days, not that it is a bad thing.  But it's funny how so many people say the 748 is slow.  Yeah, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds totally sucks.  LOL.  I know, jap bikes are screamers blah blah blah.  LOL.
TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 08:28:56 AM »

Congrats! Cheesy Have fun and better start saving that $$$
derby

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 08:38:57 AM »

Fasterbikduc, I'm curious about your cornerspeed comment.  If it were "harder" on a 748 wouldn't I eventually get better than on an "easier" bike?  Are you just saying it will be harder for me to get there?

Lots of owners say, that yes, it does need quite a push into the corner, but once there, it is so stable, you can fire out of it.

the ducs tend to be stable, but they like to be manhandled around the track. you may have to "push hard" to get it to change directions, but it'll hold it's line until you tell it otherwise.

Any advice on what I should do before I track her?

i'd do a complete 12k service (valve adjustment, belts, freshen up the suspension) on her and make sure she's "right".

while you're in the suspension, you might as well get it sprung for your weight.

Was told a cheap banged up tank and some used track plastics are a good start.

if you value your street plastics, a set of race stuff is a good idea.

Do sliders under the fairings really save anything?

regarding sliders, most people mount them in an effort to save the plastics, but that's really not what they're designed for. one concern some people have is that "external" sliders may catch and cause the bike to flip, doing more damage than woudl've happened normally. under-the-fairing sliders answer this somewhat...

sliders in general may help save the frame/motor, but there is no guarantee. i've considered going with some under-the-fairing sliders on my suzuki, but haven't really put a lot of effort into looking for them.

Also, I have wanted a Ducati Superbike since I was about 12.  LOL.

well, live your dream and enjoy it.  waytogo

I have to say, it is kinda funny how spoiled everyone is with bikes these days, not that it is a bad thing.  But it's funny how so many people say the 748 is slow.  Yeah, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds totally sucks.  LOL.  I know, jap bikes are screamers blah blah blah.  LOL.

the last decade in sportbikes has really produced some amazing machinery. any of them in the hands of a competent rider will be quite capable.

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
fasterblkduc

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 09:09:38 AM »

Yes, they are stable once commited to the turn. The problem is turning them in, and getting a nice tight line. You'll see soon enough when others out corner you. Do this...after doing a trackday or two on it, see if someone else will let you do a few laps on their bike. Then revive this thread Evil Depending on what you get to try out, I predict a 748 for sale!

Congrats on your bike purchase and don't get me wrong...it will be fun. We are just trying to give you practical advice, that otherwise you would have to learn the hard way...oops, guess you're going to learn the hard way.  cheeky I'm just teasing you. As I said earlier, I started riding track on a 996 so I've been there.

On framesliders...people debate the benefits all the time. I can give you my opinion based on experience. I've crash tested sliders several times on both street and track. In fact, last Saturday I lowsided in Saturday morning practice. The Cycle Cat sliders are awesome. You have to cut a hole in the body but you get better protection. I usually grind down my sliders after sliding across pavement and since they start out so nice and long, by the time I'm done sliding, there is still some plastic left. They may not be designed to save the body but I've had two crashes where they did just that. Only minor scratches from approx. 50mph. lowsides. No two crashes are exactly the same and you can't prepare for every event but from my experience, The CC sliders for Ducs are worth it.

Enjoy your new ride waytogo

Atomic Racing
2010 partners:
Alick

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 10:17:05 AM »

You'll see soon enough when others out corner you.

Out corner me!  On my Italian sex machine!  No way.  Not gonna happen!  LOL!

I'll just spook them with my killer exhaust note!  laughingdp

Maybe I can stay in beginner forever so I can be top dog!

Did you swap your rear sprocket up to a 40 on your 748?  Stock is 38.  Chain is about done, so was considering it.

I was sad to see that CycleCat is a goner.  Just leftover stock now.  I have their clipon system for my monster and love them.  So well made.  You can adjust the height and angle of the bars without removing anything.  Too bad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: