Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 17, 2024, 06:19:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My First Trackday  (Read 8201 times)
DucSteve

Hey Yo

« on: May 08, 2008, 03:32:13 PM »

WEEEEEEEE that was fun  Grin

Was with ZZ at Infineon yesterday.  Great group of guys there.  Lot of fun, def improved by the end of the day, and was incident free.  What else can I say, it rocked.  Here are some pics (good job by 4theriders, great shots)

http://www.4theriders.com/viewpics.php?loc=/pics/trackdays/2008/05.07.08-infineon/DUC_RED/STEVE

I realize that I really gotta work on my foot positioning (was better last 2 sessions after 5 people told me to fix it, which I don't believe are pictured here).  Also need to try to lean forward a bit more more often and lean off a bit more, but hey thats what another trackday is for wt:
desmoquattro
Smacking certain mods who change my profile upside the head with a...

It puts the billet aluminum on the motorcycle...

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »

Congrats! Now prepare to be poor as the addiction grows and takes over your life  wt:

My Vices
'09 1198s,red, (Il Diavolo Rosso
'09 KTM 690 SMC (Thumpy)
'04 Yamaha FZ1, The Blue Cockroach
'01 900SS, custom yellow, (The Bumblebee)
'05 MS4R, blue
duckwrench13

This thing sounds broken...

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 06:24:40 PM »

Congrats! And, As DQ said, prepare to be poor! ;:|

I can see from the pictures, that you definitely need to get in the habit of riding on the balls of your feet. You'll have way more agility on the bike...transitioning through corners will be quicker and easier, and you'll have more input over the rear end and what it's doing. wt:

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Gettin' blow'd up sucks!
Combat Veteran, Operation Enduring Freedom, Afghanistan 2006-2007
DucSteve

Hey Yo

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 06:52:09 PM »

yep thats basically the #1 thing im going to try and get used to doing
DarkDucati

il mostro scuro

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 07:01:30 PM »

Nice pics.  A first track day has been on my list for some time now and I've been thinking this summer is the time.  Did you do the Novice class?  I'm curious how it feels to be getting the feel of a track for the first time, while others are zooming around as well.  I have less than 3 years street riding under my belt, and have never done a group ride let alone been on a track with a lot of high speed players.  Seems like their RoadRiding 2.0 might be a bit too novice for me, but maybe worth it as an intro.

Current ride - Triumph Thruxton (don't hate, Ducs still #1)
2008 848 - R.I.P. (by delivery truck)
2006 S2R 800 Dark - SOLD
2006 Triumph Bonneville - SOLD
smducman

Ducatis

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 07:32:44 PM »

Congrats! Now prepare to be poor as the addiction grows and takes over your life  wt:

Now you remind me , I still want to save some more  , been there done that . If I go again.. afraid won't stop until Mrs really complaint :e:v

Life is all about twisty turn , curvy corner , speed & smile
DucSteve

Hey Yo

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 08:51:02 PM »

Nice pics.  A first track day has been on my list for some time now and I've been thinking this summer is the time.  Did you do the Novice class?  I'm curious how it feels to be getting the feel of a track for the first time, while others are zooming around as well.  I have less than 3 years street riding under my belt, and have never done a group ride let alone been on a track with a lot of high speed players.  Seems like their RoadRiding 2.0 might be a bit too novice for me, but maybe worth it as an intro.

It was with the C group, and there were tons of instructors.  I should have taken them out with me more often, but I was just addicted to being out there so I was just having fun.  Next time I'll def take advantage of the instructors more.

But being in C group, I didn't feel uncomfortable because of high speed people, because... it was C group.  I spent most of the time passing people.  The only people faster than me were a few people who signed up for the track day late and couldnt get into A/B group, so they just did C.

It's real easy to ride on the track, much easier than street.  Tons of road to work with, perfect conditions, no cars and shit, etc.  It's awesome.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 09:08:36 PM »

Congrats, glad you had fun. waytogo
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 08:58:24 AM by msincredible » Logged

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 05:14:25 AM »

Yeah ZoomZoom is great on the C group instruction, when I did Reno-Fernely with them I had a private instructor for the entire day it was pretty awesome. By the end of the day those that just did it on there own were trying to ham-fist it in the straights to keep up Cheesy
CharliesAngel

2003 M620 (sold), 2001 900SS

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 06:34:04 AM »

Hey there, I just did the Keigwin's 2-day Novice School and carpooled/pitted with BK865er.  It was the most awesome experience!  I only had 6 months of riding experience and was trying to strategically ramp up my riding learning curve - definitely challenging for a noobie but a total blast nonetheless.  I'm sure you would have zero problems!  The 2-day format is great because it gives you the second day to work on all those things that you figured out at the end of the first day.  There were 20 instructors on site (including Tigre and Datv) and about 30 riders in each of the 2 groups.  Since there was an "A" and "B" group, the more "experienced" riders (i.e. those with previous track day experience, years of riding experience) were pooled together and it gave them a chance to really go for it.  I think a bunch of us are doing the 2-day again on Sep 21...

Tu deviens responsable pour toujours de ce que tu as apprivoise. - Fox to le Petit Prince
DarkDucati

il mostro scuro

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 08:54:06 AM »

...I had a private instructor for the entire day it was pretty awesome.

Now that's a stroke of luck, nice.  OK, now I'm all worked up about this. Time to make the call and sign up...

Not to thread jack or anything, but one other nagging item is that I believe shortly before TOB went all crazy I saw a few posts that talked about how it wasn't really recommended that people use their street rides to do track days (e.g., me taking my monster), but it seems that most of what I'd seen in the past looked like people had monsters or other Ducatis no problem.

Current ride - Triumph Thruxton (don't hate, Ducs still #1)
2008 848 - R.I.P. (by delivery truck)
2006 S2R 800 Dark - SOLD
2006 Triumph Bonneville - SOLD
BK_856er

2007 M695; 2004 749s

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 09:34:04 AM »

Not to thread jack or anything, but one other nagging item is that I believe shortly before TOB went all crazy I saw a few posts that talked about how it wasn't really recommended that people use their street rides to do track days (e.g., me taking my monster), but it seems that most of what I'd seen in the past looked like people had monsters or other Ducatis no problem.

I posed a "which bike to take" question to the DML MOB a couple of months ago and a ton of good input appeared there.  But don't let the lack of a superbike or supersport hold you back!  Monsters may not be ideal track bikes, but you'll still learn lots and have a perma-grin for about two weeks.  Get that Monster to the track!

BK
CharliesAngel

2003 M620 (sold), 2001 900SS

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 09:41:40 AM »

But don't let the lack of a superbike or supersport hold you back!  Monsters may not be ideal track bikes, but you'll still learn lots and have a perma-grin for about two weeks.  Get that Monster to the track!
BK

Hear Hear  Grin Grin
Ultimately, track days are fun no matter what bike you are on...

Tu deviens responsable pour toujours de ce que tu as apprivoise. - Fox to le Petit Prince
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 10:25:53 AM »

I took my Monster to the track, and it was ok, but it was terribly easy to scrape hard parts on it.  This is one of the big problems with it.

I still had a blast and accomplished my goal of improving my confidence on my bike. waytogo [moto]
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 08:56:57 AM by msincredible » Logged

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
DucSteve

Hey Yo

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 11:05:10 AM »

The S*R bikes probably better suited for the track than older monsters, raised exhaust and i believe slightly higher footpegs?  I didn't scrape anything the whole time and my tires were well worn to the edges.

I had a blast with the monster, it was fun the whole time.  A little extra power for the straights and maybe little better brakes would have been nice, but still real fun
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: