Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 12:18:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire mating questions...  (Read 2499 times)
KRJ

'07 MTS 1100S , '03 XR650L , '78 KZ 1000

« on: September 11, 2008, 05:00:45 AM »

Ruined a rear tire on my MTS, found a screemin' deal on a new one in a tight time frame.(late sat. night for sun. morn ride) Went from a pirelli scorpion sync.,1 ply rayon, 1 ply steel, tread   to a dunlop sportmax qualifier with 1 nylon, 1 aramid tread ply.  the front tire is pirelli scorp. sync. with  2 rayon, 1 steel ply tread.  handles a bit squirrly going into corners, feels like a start of a tank-slapper!!   Did I screw this match up ??   Is it a problem mixing tread ply material ??   

" I believe You understand what You think I said, but I'm not sure You realize that what You heard is not what I meant " !!
duckrider

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 06:11:30 AM »

I have a mts to and went for tires and the guys at the dealership told me not to mix and match . Most of the guys I talk to say replace both at the same time. Its a hard one to sallow when your front tire is still good.
ducducgooseme
Local Moderator

Same ole DesmoDevil, in a more gentle package

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 10:58:27 AM »

I have a dunlop rear and a michelin front on my 1098s and a michelin pilot power dc rear and pilot street on my monster. 

I think he mix and match is bad if one of the tires is really worn...but I havent seen any issues with mine

If you love your bike, set it free.
If it comes back to you, you've
probably high-sided.
Gringo 999

Live to Ride, Ride to Live

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 02:07:11 PM »

Ruined a rear tire on my MTS, found a screemin' deal on a new one in a tight time frame.(late sat. night for sun. morn ride) Went from a pirelli scorpion sync.,1 ply rayon, 1 ply steel, tread   to a dunlop sportmax qualifier with 1 nylon, 1 aramid tread ply.  the front tire is pirelli scorp. sync. with  2 rayon, 1 steel ply tread.  handles a bit squirrly going into corners, feels like a start of a tank-slapper!!   Did I screw this match up ??   Is it a problem mixing tread ply material ??   

Okay.  Here's the good - listen to your handlebars.  They are talking to you.  Here's the bad.  Different tires - especially between manufacturers - are bad juju.  The first problem is varied tire warm up times.  You could potentially lose traction to the harder compound tire first.  The second problem is different traction and different flex in the corners.  This can flex the forks due to the inconsistency between the rolling resistance between front and rear wheels.  The third problem is that this mismatch can effect high speed stability at speed.  A friend of mine just pulled a tank-slapper at Pueblo at the end of the straight due to a tire mismatch issue.  The ugly is you pulling a high-side because of this. 

Some AMA racers use different compounds between front and rear to tweak cornering.  But they stay with same manufacturer and same tire model (same construction) so the tire flex is consistent.  But, these guys are pros and have engineering support behind them.

Larry Dotson, aka "Il Duce"
2004 Red and White 999 Superbike (Biposto)
MRA # 196 - 2001 GSXR 750
KRJ

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 03:00:43 PM »

Thanks for the input, I had a chance today to contact pirelli and dunlop for help. had basically the same answer as you did Larry, they said to stay with matching set's, change both when possible,the front is too good to waste.Pirelli recomended the original sync. or the diablo strada. I 'm going to try the strada for better wear, no harder than I ride. should be good in rain.  Thanks all again !!   I haven't had this bad a problem on other bikes in the past, must be more precise ducati chassis,ect. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 03:06:55 PM by KRJ » Logged

" I believe You understand what You think I said, but I'm not sure You realize that what You heard is not what I meant " !!
duckrider

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 06:58:16 AM »

I ended up putting on Michelin Pilot Powers on my mts and I love them. I found a great deal on a set.
Gringo 999

Live to Ride, Ride to Live

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 06:53:38 PM »

Thanks for the input, I had a chance today to contact pirelli and dunlop for help. had basically the same answer as you did Larry, they said to stay with matching set's, change both when possible,the front is too good to waste.Pirelli recomended the original sync. or the diablo strada. I 'm going to try the strada for better wear, no harder than I ride. should be good in rain.  Thanks all again !!   I haven't had this bad a problem on other bikes in the past, must be more precise ducati chassis,ect. 

Great.  I hope others read this thread too.   waytogo  Are you riding with us on the 21st?   [moto]

Larry Dotson, aka "Il Duce"
2004 Red and White 999 Superbike (Biposto)
MRA # 196 - 2001 GSXR 750
KRJ

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 08:23:44 AM »

Damn right I am !!  unless my world totally implodes,    Had a good friend pass away and am helping the family sort stuff out, should be about finished this weekend. The woodsplitting, lawn, house, shop, ect., ect.,  can wait a little longer,although I've been saying that all summer, ha,ha

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: