Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 02:19:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are the mirrors left or right hand thread ?  (Read 4804 times)
PizzaMonster

2007 S2R800

« on: May 08, 2008, 07:12:18 PM »

Okay..Before I go all ape and snap it off, can someone tell me if the right side mirror on an S2R800 is reverse thread?  Something in the dim recesses of my mind tells me I read that the smaller bikes have one side with backwards threads.  My bike has the coffin-style clutch and brake masters.

The left one loosened just fine but the right doesn't seem to want to budge.  I'm thinking I've probably got it over-tightened now by turning it the wrong way. 

The Ducati Monster Forum - Time Well Wasted  :-)
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 07:29:32 PM »

Yes, the right side is left hand thread.

The barrel nut should have a small groove cut in it, that means left hand thread.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
PizzaMonster

2007 S2R800

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 10:08:36 PM »

Thanks.  Now to get it loose after my gorilla act... r:e)

The Ducati Monster Forum - Time Well Wasted  :-)
COWBOY

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:26:40 PM »

I don't remember the part number but if you do a search on the old site I posted the replacement part number for the Brembo piece that makes it normal threaded.  I got it from www.yoyodyneti.com after I did the same thing and stripped it.  LOL.

2005 S2R -- Mods installed: DP termi full racing kit, ST4 Forks, S4R rear shock, 999 Radial Brake and Clutch MCs, 4 pot Brembo Calipers, 320mm Snowflake rotors, SBK Quick change carrier, 43T rear sproket, Tomaselli Clip Ons, Cyclecat Frame Sliders, ASV Levers, zero indicators, Supernova taillight
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 06:38:47 AM »

I thought it was reverse-threaded to make it less likely to be loosened by the wind? Huh?

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 07:41:54 AM »

IMO, they're threaded the way they are so that if you hit something with the mirror, it can unscrew rather than snap off or cause you to go down.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
COWBOY

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 08:00:28 AM »

both good points.

for me it was too big a pain in the ass since at the time I was reworking and fiddling a lot on the front end that required me removing the controls.  since i had to get a new one anyway i bought a reg threaded one.

2005 S2R -- Mods installed: DP termi full racing kit, ST4 Forks, S4R rear shock, 999 Radial Brake and Clutch MCs, 4 pot Brembo Calipers, 320mm Snowflake rotors, SBK Quick change carrier, 43T rear sproket, Tomaselli Clip Ons, Cyclecat Frame Sliders, ASV Levers, zero indicators, Supernova taillight
A.B

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 11:18:13 AM »

I took the mirrors off of my '06 s2r right after i got it.  Left one came off easy.  Tried the right one it was tight so i switched directions, and nothing. I didn't know about TOB at that time and i was impatient.  I knew i didn't want those mirrors on there so i just picked a direction and let 'er rip.  I guess i chose the wrong direction cause the mirror stem sheared right off at the top of the mounting hole.  Undecided oh well at least the mirrors were gone.
Goldeneye

2007 S2R 1000

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 12:25:19 PM »

Speeddog is right
IMO, they're threaded the way they are so that if you hit something with the mirror, it can unscrew rather than snap off or cause you to go down.

The right side has the groove in the middle of the nut indicating left-hand threads.

So, if either mirror gets pushed back towards the rider the mirror will get loose and not strip threads or break things.

I thought it was a, umm, thoughtful idea.  waytogo

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: